Veg sagu recipe with step by step photos. karnataka style tasty and wholesome mixed veg saagu recipe. Mixed veg sagu is a popular side dish for set dosa. Set dosa saagu is the most popular breakfast in Karnataka. I got few requests for this veg sagu recipe when I shared set dosa recipe.
Veg saagu is actually a coconut based veg curry similar to veg korma. Coconut based curries are a staple in south India like HSB kurma, tomato kurma, idiyappam kurma etc. Coconut is widely used in chutney recipes too like red coconut chutney, green coconut chutney, restaurant style white coconut chutney recipes. Here in veg sagu recipe a spice paste is made with coconut and few ingredients.
So coconut is the base of veg sagu recipe. Preparation of veg sagu is easy but takes some time. The vegetables should be chopped. The spice paste has to be prepared. Next is cooking the saagu recipe.
The method of preparing sagu varies from home to home just like sambar. Every home will have its won secret touch. The veg sagu recipe I am sharing here is from my Bangalore neighbor.
To make veg sagu recipe we can use two or more vegetables. Usually potatoes, carrot, beans, cauliflower and green peas are used. You can even use chayote squash (chow chow) in veg sagu. In fact my neighbor prepares a sagu just with chayote squash. You can adjust the spice level by increasing or decreasing green chilies. The color of veg sagu depends on coriander leaves used. Add more or less as per preference.
How to make veg sagu recipe with step by step photos.
To make spice paste
Grind all the ingredients mentioned for spice paste to a smooth or coarse paste
To make veg sagu
Heat a pressure cooker base with 2 teaspoons oil
Temper with mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
Add onions and saute for 2 minutes
Add cubed vegetables and saute.
Add spice paste, turmeric powder and required salt. Mix well.
Add 3/4 cup water and close the pressure cooker.
Pressure cook for upto 2 whistles.Once the pressure is released mix well and add lemon juice. Serve veg sagu with set dosa.
veg sagu recipe card below:
veg sagu recipe, how to make veg saagu | Mixed veg sagu for set dosa
- For veg sagu spice paste:
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 6 whole cashews
- 2 tablespoons roasted gram dal
- 3-4 green chilies
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamoms
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- For veg sagu recipe
- 1 1/2 cups cubed vegetables
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons oil
- To make spice paste
- Grind all the ingredients mentioned for spice paste to a smooth or coarse paste
- To make veg sagu
- Heat a pressure cooker base with 2 teaspoons oil
- Temper with mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves
- Add onions and saute for 2 minutes
- Add cubed vegetables and saute.
- Add spice paste, turmeric powder and required salt. Mix well.
- Add 3/4 cup water and close the pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook for up to 2 whistles.Once the pressure is released mix well and add lemon juice. Serve veg sagu with set dosa.
2 You can add a tomato if you prefer