This vegan banana bread recipe is super easy to make, one bowl, moist, hearty and oh so delicious! Loaded with walnuts and dark chocolate bits in every bite, warm slices of this bread with coffee is just perfect for a rainy evening!
Banana bread is one of those all time classic and comforting bake. While there are so many recipes for this bread around the web, I assure you this is the best ever and only banana bread recipe you will ever need.
This recipe yields the best vegan banana bread ever, truly. Super soft, fluffy, moist and delicious bread that you can make in no time.
I use this as base recipe and throw in mix-ins as per our preference. This time around I threw in a good measure of walnuts and vegan dark chocolate chunks. What’s not love in a banana bread with chocolate in every bite?
This Vegan Banana Bread Is
100 % eggs and dairy free
Made with healthy unrefined oil (Olive oil here)
Super easy, one bowl recipe
Made with whole wheat flour
Moist, soft & absolutely delicious
Healthier compared to standard banana bread recipes.
How Is This Banana Bread Healthy?
First off this banana bread is made with 100% organic whole wheat four unlike regular recipes that call for plain flour.
This recipe uses light olive oil instead of refine vegetable oil or butter.
Next this bread is loaded with walnuts, one of the healthiest nuts and sunflower seeds
I have used organic raw sugar here instead of granulated white sugar. If you are not keen about making this bread vegan, you can also use honey.
Bananas are pretty healthy too, if you didn’t know 🙂
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this bread sugar free?– This recipe itself is granulated sugar free. However if you want to even leave the raw sugar used here, You can use same amount of honey (not vegan), maple, jaggery powdered or date syrup.
How to make gluten free banana bread? – Yes totally you can make this recipe gluten free by any gluten free for you blend you trust. I have made with spelt flour earlier and liked it.
Can I make this recipe oil free? Yes to make this recipe oil free just use apple sauce instead of oil.
What other mix-ins can I use in this recipe? Instead of walnuts and chocolate I have added here you can add chopped almonds, cashews, pecans dried berries like cranberries, blueberries.
How to freeze banana bread?- Yep, by all means you can store this bread in freezer for 2-3 months. Let the bread cool thoroughly and transfer to a freezer safe bag. You can store whole loaf or sliced too. Thaw the bread completely before eating. You can warm the bread for 5 minutes in hot oven.
Can I use baking powder instead of baking soda? Yes instead of 1 teaspoon baking soda you can use 2 teaspoons baking powder. Please note that bread made with baking powder is a bit more dense and less soft than the one made with baking soda.
Which oils are good for banana bread?- While most of the recipes call for refined oils for this bread, you can totally use non refined healthier oils like coconut oil, olive oil etc. Even avocado works well in this recipe.
Tips To Make Best Homemade Banana Bread
Overripe bananas make best bread- If you want perfect banana bread that is moist, delicious with that amazing banana flavor, start with overripe bananas. You want the ones with almost black peel and freckled ones. Overripe bananas make your bread really moist and also lets you reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe.
Do not over mix the batter– Once you combine wet and dry ingredients, absolutely no over mixing. Cut and fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients gently only until no streaks of flour is seen. If you over mix the bread won’t rise properly.
Use fresh baking soda– If you use oil baking soda, the bread won’t rise properly.
How To Make Vegan Banana Bread
Preheat your oven at 350 F or 180 C. Grease and dust a 9 x 5 loaf tin.
In a large bowl, add the peeled ripe bananas and mash well with a fork. Mash thoroughly and measure the puree. You will need around 1 1/4 cup banana puree.
Now combine banana puree, olive oil, sugar in a bowl.
Using an electric beater or hand held wire whisk, whisk everything well until light and fluffy.
Add wheat flour, salt, vanilla powder baking soda to the wet mixture one by one in the mentioned order.
Cut and fold gently only until no flour streaks are seen.
Do not over mix.
Throw in chopped walnuts and chocolate chunks. Fold very gently.
Pour the banana bread batter into prepared tin.
Bake in the hot oven for 35-40 minutes or until a tester comes put clean.
Let cool, slice and serve banana bread as snack or breakfast.
More Delicious Recipes
I hope you will try this vegan banana bread recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
Vegan Banana Bread
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 1.25 cups mashed banana from 3 or 4 overripe bananas
- 1/3 cup organic raw sugar can use any type of sugar
- 1/3 cup light olive oil or any oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or powder
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped vegan dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven at 350 F or 180 C. Grease and dust a 9 x 5 loaf tin.
- In a large bowl, add the peeled ripe bananas and mash well with a fork. Mash thoroughly and measure the puree. You will need around 1 1/4 cup banana puree.
- Now combine banana puree, olive oil, sugar in a bowl.
- Using an electric beater or hand held wire whisk, whisk everything well until light and fluffy.
- Add wheat flour, salt, vanilla powder baking soda to the wet mixture one by one in the mentioned order.
- Cut and fold gently only until no flour streaks are seen. Do not over mix.
- Throw in chopped walnuts and chocolate chunks. Fold very gently.
- Pour the banana bread batter into prepared tin.
- Bake in the hot oven for 35-40 minutes or until a tester comes put clean.
- Let cool, slice and serve banana bread as snack or breakfast.
- Use overripe bananas for best results
- You can reduce sugar and use 1/4 cup if preffered
- Do not over mix the batter
- You can double the recipe.