Last updated on October 7th, 2019
Akki roti recipe– Karnataka style flat bread made with rice flour. Akki means rice in kannada and rotti means flat bread. It is a healthy, vegan and gluten free breakfast from Karnataka. Akki roti tastes best with enegayi and chutney.
Here I have shared an easy akki roti recipe while there are many variations to this recipe. In few places cooked rice is added to the dough. Making this roti needs some practice before you can master it. Below I have shared some tips for beginners.
Tips for making akki roti for beginners.
- Always use hot water to knead the dough.
- During initial trials make plain akki roti as it easier compared to adding veggies in dough.
- The flour to water proportion is very important for you to get perfect soft akki rotti.
- As rice flour contains almost no gluten we cannot roll the dough. The dough has to patted and you can use banana leaf or parchment paper. I always use banana leaf as it imparts a nice flavor.
The recipe of akki roti is simple but just requires some trials . But once you taste this you will want to master making this rotti :). It is that tasty. So comforting and homely breakfast served with a spicy eggplant curry, chutney powder and a sliver of butter if you wish.
To make akki roti we need just 3 basic ingredients. Rice flour, water and salt. Some oil is added to dough too. I have added some vegetables but those are optional. You can make thin or thick akki roti as per our preference.
Other optional ingredients for akki roti.
- Soaked chana dal
- grated coconut
- roasted and crushed peanuts
- dill leaves
If you don’t want to use banana leaf or parchment paper you can use a cold tava to spread the roti. But you need 2-3 tavas or you need to wash the tava after every roti.
Serve akki roti piping hot with ennegayi or some spicy curry or chutney or chutney powder.
More recipes from Karnataka cuisine:
How to make Karnataka akki roti recipe with step by step photos.
Take all the chopped vegetables in a bowl.
Add rice flour, salt, sugar, 2 teaspoons oil and mix well.
To the flour mixture add warm water as needed and make soft dough. Make sure the dough is moist enough to spread. You will be able to spread the dough only if it has moisture.
Now take a big piece of banana leaf and apply oil generously.
Take a big orange sized portion from the dough and place on the banana leaf.
Pat with your hands to make a thin or tick roti. Wet your fingers for easy spreading. If making thick roti put some holes as seen
Heat a tava and once the tava is hot spread some oil. Place the banana leaf over the tava.
Let cook for minute. gently pull off the banana leaf.
Flip very gently and cook till the rotis are done.
Serve akki roti hot with side dish and some white butter.
If you make this recipe, snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou.
Akki roti recipe card below:
Akki roti recipe
- 2 cups rice flour
- 2 teaspoons oil
- hot water
- 2 pieces of banana leaf
- Oil for frying the rotis
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon Finely chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons grated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Take all the chopped vegetables in a bowl.
- Add rice flour, salt, sugar, 2 teaspoons oil and mix well
- To the flour add warm water as needed and make soft dough. Make sure the dough is moist enough to spread.You will be able to spread the dough only if it has moisture.
- Next take a big piece of banana leaf and apply oil generously.
- Take a big orange sized portion from the dough and place on the banana leaf.
- Pat with your hands to make a thin or tick roti. Wet your fingers for easy spreading. if making thick roti put some holes as seen
- Heat a tava and once the tava is hot spread some oil. Place the banana leaf over the tava.
- Let cook for minute. gently pull off the banana leaf.
- Flip very gently and cook till the rotis are done.
- Serve akki roti hot with side dish.
2. Be very gentle through the entire process.
3. If you are not able to make rotis absolutely, just add water and make a thin batter. Make crispy thin dosas on a non stick tava 🙂