Last updated on January 12th, 2018
Onion tomato chutney recipe with step by step photos. Sharing an easy recipe for onion tomato chutney for idli and dosa. Easy chutney recipes are always on demand in a south Indian home as we mostly have idli or dosa for breakfast. This is a restaurant style onion tomato chutney recipe, it is more spicy and vibrant.
to make onion tomato chutney always use desi tomatoes that are slightly tangy. It is best to use pearl onions or small onions but here I have used big onions as I was not having pearl onions. There are many ways to make onion tomato chutney, the one I am sharing here is how I often make it.
Onion tomato chutney recipe is a very versatile and easy to make chutney during rushed morning hours. It is the different types of chutneys that makes idly or dosa more appealing and tasty during breakfast. Though coconut chutney is what most of the people like,I always love to make onion tomato chutney with different combinations.
This onion tomato chutney is a very very flavorful and tasty chutney that you will forget the number of idlys you have eaten :). The unique flavor of this onion tomato chutney comes from gram dal and ginger. Though you can make this chutney with out ginger, I would definitely suggest you add a small piece if ginger, it adds so much to the flavor.
You can serve onion tomato chutney with crispy dosa, rava idli or normal idli. Apart from that this chutney also goes well with bread toast.
Now let us learn how to make onion tomato chutney recipe with step by step photos.
Step by step onion tomato chutney recipe
1. Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a kadai and fry gram dal, ginger and green chilies.
2. Add the cubed onions and saute till pinkish and fragrant.
3. Add the cubed tomatoes and fry till mushy. The peel should begin to wilt.
4. Allow to cool and grind smoothly along with salt. Heat 2 teaspoons oil and temper with mustard, urad dal, curry leaves and dried red chilies. Add the tempering to the chutney along with oil and mix well. Serve onion tomato chutney with idly/dosa/upma etc.
Onion tomato chutney recipe card below:
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2 green chillies
- A small piece of ginger
- 1 tablespoon gram dal
- 3 teaspoons oil
- For tempering:
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 2 dried red chillies
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a kadai and fry gram dal,ginger and green chillies.
- Add the cubed onions and saute till pinkish and fragrant.
- Add the cubed tomatoes and fry till mushy. The peel should begin to wilt.
- Allow to cool and grind smoothly along with salt. Heat 2 teaspoons oil and temper with mustard,urad dal,curry leaves and dried red chillies. Add the tempering to the chutney along with oil and mix well. Serve hot with idly/dosa/upma etc.
1.Instead of a big onion you can use 10-12 pearl onions
2.This chutney will be excellent as a bread spread too.
3. You can mix some leftover rice with chutney for instant tomato rice.