Last updated on July 9th, 2020
Quick onion tomato chutney is a condiment made with onions, tomato and few other pantry staple ingredients.
It is best side dish for idli, dosa, upma. Gets ready in 20 minutes with simple ingredients, vegan and gluten free recipe!
Growing up and even now, we eat idli or dosa multiple times a week. To go with these tiffin chutney is always made as accompaniment.
While most of the folks prefer coconut chutney, I hate it with a vengeance 🙂 Not only chutney, I really don’t care for coconut except curries made with coconut milk or smoothies.
I know, as a south Indian coconut is big in our cooking but I love spicy and tangy tomato based
This onion tomato chutney is a very versatile one. Along with idli and dosa you can also serve this chutney with bread, roti, steamed rice. It tastes very good wit rice, sesame oil.
Onion Tomato Chutney Ingredients
There are so many variations you can make with this onion tomato chutney. Here I have made this chutney with few ingredients yet the chutney is high on flavor and taste
to make onion tomato chutney always use desi tomatoes that are slightly tangy. It is best to use pearl onions or small onions if available.
Along with onions and tomatoes I have also used some chana dal, small piece of ginger and green chilies for flavor.
However ginger is an optional ingredient here. You can also make tomato onion chutney without ginger.
The highlight of chutney is the tempering. Tempering the chutney with two teaspoons sesame oil totally elevates the flavor profile of this chutney.
Variations and Tips For Making Best Onion Tomato Chutney
Use good quality ripe tomatoes for best flavor.
Make sure to saute the onions and tomatoes really well for nice flavored chutney
Sesame oil tastes best for chutney recipes
Refrigerate any left over chutney. Keeps well for two days. You can also add a small piece of tamarind to increase the shelf life.
Now let us learn how to make onion tomato chutney recipe with step by step photos.
More chutney recipes
How To Make Onion Tomato Chutney Recipe Step by Step
1. Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a kadai and fry gram dal, ginger and green chilies.
2. Add the cubed onions and saute till pinkish and fragrant.
3. Add the cubed tomatoes and fry till mushy. The peel should begin to wilt.
4. Allow to cool and grind smoothly along with salt. Heat 2 teaspoons oil and temper with mustard, urad dal, curry leaves and dried red chilies. Add the tempering to the chutney along with oil and mix well. Serve onion tomato chutney with idly/dosa/upma etc.
Onion Tomato Chutney Recipe
Onion tomato chutney | How to make onion tomato chutney.
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2 green chillies
- A small piece of ginger
- 1 tablespoon gram dal
- 3 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 2 dried red chillies
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a kadai and fry gram dal,ginger and green chillies.
- Add the cubed onions and saute till pinkish and fragrant.
- Add the cubed tomatoes and fry till mushy. The peel should begin to wilt.
- Allow to cool and grind smoothly along with salt. Heat 2 teaspoons oil and temper with mustard,urad dal,curry leaves and dried red chillies. Add the tempering to the chutney along with oil and mix well. Serve hot with idly/dosa/upma etc.
2.This chutney will be excellent as a bread spread too.
3. You can mix some leftover rice with chutney for instant tomato rice.