Last updated on October 11th, 2019
Aloo gobi recipe– spiced potato cauliflower fry with Indian spices. This is an easy, simple and quick recipe for dry aloo gobi that you can make in 20 minutes. One of the most popular side dish in Indian restaurants this curry goes well with roti, naan, poori and also dal fry & rice. Here is how to make best aloo gobi dry recipe with video and step by step photos.
I will say this aloo gobi dry recipe truly captures the essence of Indian cooking. Humble ingredients, easy steps and quick to make yet a flavor packed delicious curry that is hearty and wholesome.
Potato and cauliflower are two most popular vegetables used in Indian cooking. In this aloo gobi recipe these veggies are sauteed in Indian spices and finished with an optional garnish of cilantro leaves. Delicious, healthy and perfect side dish for everyone including toddlers and kids.
You can make aloo gobi sabzi in so many ways. In some recipes tomatoes are added to get a semi dry consistency. Also one more popular version is aloo gobi masala made in the lines of paneer butter masala with a tomato-onion based gravy. Here I am sharing an easy everyday aloo gobi that requires no grinding and minimum ingredients. You can easily make this on weekdays also.
Variations With this Recipe:
- You can leave out onion in this recipe for making no onion garlic version.
- Add some green peas to this recipe to make aloo matar gobi.
- Add 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes after sauteing onions to make a semi dry curry. You can use this semi dry curry as filling for aloo sandwich or even wrap.
- For rich flavor you can use butter instead of oil.
- If you prefer you can shallow fry or pan roast the potatoes and cauliflower before tossing with the spices.
- Ginger can also be added for flavor.
- Add chopped coriander leaves finally and finish with some lemon juice if you prefer. This is an optional step.
Tips For Making Best Aloo Gobi Sabzi Recipe
Select fresh and new cauliflower the has no brown spots. The florets should be close and dense.
Use new firm potatoes that are not sweet.
Both the veggies should be completely dry. After steaming or pressure cooking the potatoes, let cool for some time so it doesn’t turn mushy or soggy.
Wash the blanched cauliflower throughout in cold water, pat dry and then use.
Do add kasuri methi at the end as it elevates the flavor of this dish.
Increase or decrease the spice powders as per preference. This recipe is for mildly spiced aloo gobi.
You can double or triple this recipe.
Serve this dry sabzi hot with phulka, poori, roti, steamed rice along with dal and curd.
You can also pack this curry in toddlers and kids lunch box.
More Punjabi Recipes:
Aloo Gobi Recipe Video:
How To Make Aloo Gobi Recipe Step By Step
1. Pressure cook potatoes for 2 whistles. Once the pressure is released, peel and pat dry. Cut into bite size cubes. Set aside.
2. Separate cauliflower into bite size florets. Bring plenty of water to boil in a pot and add the cauliflower florets. Add a pinch of salt and turmeric powder. Boil for 3-5 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
3. Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a kadai. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add sliced onions and saute till the color changes slightly.
4. Once the onions turn soft add cubed potatoes and saute well for 5-7 minutes.
5. Next add cauliflower florets and mix well.
6. Add turmeric powder, chili powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well and cook in medium flame for 10-15 minutes. Once done add kasuri methi and mix well. Add chopped coriander leaves and mix in lemon juice if using. Serve aloo gobi hot.
Aloo Gobi Recipe:
Aloo gobi recipe | How to make aloo gobi dry recipe
- 3 medium sized potatoes
- 1 small whole cauliflower.
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 kasuri methi
- Pressure cook potatoes for 2 whistles. Once the pressure is released, peel and pat dry. Cut into bite size cubes. Set aside.
- Separate cauliflower into bite size florets. Bring plenty of water to boil in a pot and add the cauliflower florets. Add a pinch of salt and turmeric powder. Boil for 3-5 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a kadai. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add sliced onions and saute till the color changes slightly.
- Next add cubed potatoes and saute well for 5-7 minutes.
- Add cauliflower florets and mix well.
- Add salt and all the spice powders. Mix well and cook in medium flame for 12-15 minutes. Finally add kasuri methi and mix well. Serve aloo gobi hot.
Are you making this recipe? Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou. Do leave a ⋆ rating along with your feedback!