Last updated on November 7th, 2018
Jeera Rice is an Indian special rich dish made with long grained rice and flavored with cumin seeds. Jeera is the Indian name for cumin seeds. This mildly flavored cumin rice is most popular one from north Indian cuisine. Its delicate and mild flavor makes it best to be served with paneer butter masala, palak paneer, dal fry, veg curry , dhaba dal fry etc. Here is my step by step recipe for jeera rice with a video!
There is nothing more comforting yet festive like relishing a plate of piping hot jeera rice with dal fry or some paneer curry. For such a humble recipe with simple ingredients you will be amazed by the flavor and taste of this dish. Make it a part of menu in your next party and enjoy.
In many north Indian restaurants here we will find jeera rice for lunch in buffets. They usually serve rice in the form of khichdi or jeera rice. I always prefer the later with rich Indian curries 🙂 This recipe shared here comes very close to the jeera pulao served in Indian restaurants.
What Is Jeera Rice?
Jeera rice is a famous, simple and flavorful Indian rice prepared with long grained rice like basmati rice. The rice is flavored with cumin seeds, whole spices and is tempered in ghee. You can also add some finely chopped onions and fried cashews for more flavor. This rice is very mildly flavored and has a wonderful texture.
The cumin seeds lend an earthy flavor and taste to this rice. Also jeera has digestive properties so you can easily serve this rice with heavy spicy curries.
The preparation of jeera rice is very simple especially using a pressure cooker. But you can also make this recipe in rice cooker, cooking pot too.
How To Make Jeera Rice In Rice Cooker?
Heat ghee in a small pan and prepare the tempering. Add cumin seeds, whole spices and cashews in the hot ghee and fry well.
Now add soaked, drained rice and required water in the rice cooker pot. Add salt and prepared tadka. Cook as manufacturer’s instruction. Once done fluff up the rice and serve.
Jeera Rice In a Pan.
Making jeera rice in a pan is more or less like using a pressure cooker. Use a thick bottomed heavy pan with lid.
Just start as mentioned in the recipe and after adding rice and water, mix well. Cover the pan and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the rice is cooked absorbing all the water
Tips For Making Best Jeera Rice
- The quality of basmati rice is very crucial. use good quality aged basmati rice.
- Rinse the rice really well and drain thoroughly. Also fan dry the rice for 15 minutes before using in the recipe.
- The amount of water required to cook the rice varies with the quality of rice.
- While you can use oil to make this recipe yet ghee is the best choice for jeera rice. Also make sure to heat the ghee really well before adding the cumin seeds.
- For more flavor you can add chopped onions but there are no onions in authentic jeera rice recipe.
- You can also butter instead of ghee.
There are two methods to make jeera rice.
First method is the detailed recipe shared here. One more method is to use cooked and cooled rice. You can easily use leftover rice that cooled.
Prepare the tempering as mentioned in the recipe. Quickly toss the cooked cooled rice and mix gently.
More Rice Recipes
If you are looking for more easy rice recipes do check
Jeera Rice Video Recipe:
How To Make Jeera Rice Step By Step:
Preparing the rice
Rinse basmati rice thoroughly. Soak in plenty of water for 30 minutes. Drain and dry the rice under the fan for 10 minutes spread as a single layer.
Making jeera rice in pressure cooker:
Heat 2 teaspoons ghee in a pressure cooker.
Once the ghee is hot temper with cumin seeds
Next Add the whole spices one by one and saute till fragrant. Also add slit green chilies and broken cashews.
Now add the drained rice and saute for 2 minutes.
Add 3 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Season with salt.
Close the pressure cook and cook for up to 3 whistles.
Once the pressure is releases fluff up and serve hot
Jeera Rice Recipe Card:
- 1 1/4 cup basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 cardamoms
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 strand mace
- 1 green chili slit
- 2 teaspoons ghee
- Rinse basmati rice thoroughly. Soak in plenty of water for 30 minutes. Drain and dry the rice under the fan for 10 minutes spread as a single layer.
- Heat 2 teaspoons ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Once the ghee is hot temper with cumin seeds
- Add the whole spices one by one and saute till fragrant.
- Add green chili and saute.
- Now add the drained rice and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add 3 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Close the pressure cook and cook for up to 3 whistles.
- Once the pressure is releases fluff up and serve hot
1. You can cashews as garnish.
2. Finely chopped onions can also be added.