Last updated on May 22nd, 2019
Dal fry recipe with video– a simple, healthy, comforting and flavorful north Indian dal recipe that you can make in 15 minutes. Punjabi dal fry is a popular side dish in Indian restaurants. Dal means lentils in India and this is a quick recipe of tempering the cooked dal with Indian spices. This dal fry recipe tastes just like restaurant ones and you can make with toor dal, moong dal or channa dal. Serve with hot rice for perfect comforting meal! Here is a quick video recipe
Which Dal Is To Be Used For Dal Fry:
Basic dal fry is made with arhar dal or toor dal (Split pigeon peas). However you can make this recipe with moong dal, channa dal and massor dal also. You can also a mix of assorted dals to make this dish more protein rich.
How To Make Restaurant Style Dal Fry?
To make Punjabi dal fry first of all pressure cook toor dal thoroughly. While the lentils are cooking saute the finely chopped onions and tomatoes with spice powders. Then mix the cooked dal and simmer for few minutes so that the flavors develop. Finally garnish the dal fry with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Tips For Making Best Dal Fry:
- Use butter or ghee for cooking this recipe to get best flavor. For low fat version you can use light olive oil, coconut oil or groundnut oil also.
- Make sure to use good quality arhar dal or toor dal.
- You can use dhungar method to get that smoky flavor typical to restaurants.
- Adding a dash of garam masala towards the end elevates the flavor of this dal recipe.
What Is The Difference Between Dal Fry and Dal Tadka?
Dal tadka and dal fry are two staple dal recipes in north India. Though the ingredients used are mostly same the two dishes are different in flavor and taste.
In dal tadka recipe dal is boiled or pressure cooked along with onions, tomatoes and greenc chilies. Finally a simple tadka or tempering of cumin seeds, dried chili is made in ghee and added to the cooked dal.
Whereas in Dal fry recipe you saute the onion and tomatoes along with spices and finally add the cooked dal. The consistency of dal fry is slightly thicker dal tadka.
Serving Suggestions for Dal fry:
Serve dal fry with rice steamed basmati rice along with papad and salad. You can serve this dal with jeera rice, naan, roti also.
More Dal Recipes:
Similar dal recipes you might like are
Video Of Dal Fry Recipe:
How To Make Dal Fry Recipe Step By Step:
1.Pressure cook toor dal for 6-7 whistles until it is completely cooked.Once cooked mash really well until creamy and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a kadai and temper with mustard and cumin seeds.
3. Next add the slit green chillies,red chillies,ginger and saute for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the sliced onions and saute till translucent.
5. Now add the chopped tomatoes and saute till cooked and mushy.
6. Once tomatoes are well cooked add the mashed toor dal and mix well. Add salt,turmeric powder and coriander powder.
7. Now add 1 cup of water,mix well and cook in medium flame until the dal thickens.(10-12 minutes)
Restaurant Style Dal Fry Recipe:
Restaurant style dal fry recipe,how to make dal fry
- 1 1/4 cup split pigeon peas/toor dal/thuvaram paruppu
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- 2 slit green chillies
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed ginger OR ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- cilantro leaves kasuri methi for garnishing
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice.
- 3 teaspoon oil or butter
- Pressure cook toor dal for 6-7 whistles until it is completely cooked.Once cooked mash really well until creamy and set aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai and temper with mustard and cumin seeds.
- Add the slit green chillies,red chillies,ginger and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the sliced onions and saute till translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute till cooked and mushy.
- Now add the mashed toor dal and mix well. Add salt,turmeric powder and coriander powder.
- Add 1 cup of water,mix well and cook in medium flame until the dal thickens.(10-12 minutes)
- Finally add cilantro leaves and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from flame,add kasuri methi,lemon juice mix well and serve hot.
2.If you have fresh methi leaves you can saute it along with onions and skip kasuri methi
3.Use ghee for enhanced flavor and taste instead of oil.
4.If your toor dal doesn't cook well,soak it in water for 30 minutes before cooking.
Are you making this recipe? Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou.