Last updated on July 21st, 2019
How to blanch almonds at home easily – a step by step easy tutorial to prepare homemade blanched almonds. While blanched almonds are expensive at stores, blanching almonds at home is easy,hygienic and economical also. You can use these almonds in multiple ways as I have mentioned below.
Blanched almonds are widely used in making almond meal, macrons etc. Also blanched almonds are used in making many Indian sweets like badam halwa, badan kheer, badam katli etc. These Blanched almonds are very very healthy to consume as such too.
Studies reveal that soaking and peeling the almonds eliminates the toxins in peels. It also releases the phytic acid and thus easily digestible. Blanched almonds also have some amazing effects on skin and hair. I usually dry the left over almond peel powder it and use as face scrub too.
what are blanched almonds?
Blanching is a cooking process where the food substance is scalded in boiling water for a short time first. Then it is plunged in ice cold water(source wiki). Blanching is usually done to soften the substance, retain the color of the substance(mostly greens) or to remove the peel like tomatoes or almonds as in here.
Advantages of blanching almonds at home:
While blanched almonds are readily available in market blanching almonds at home is very very easy. We need just 10 minutes to make this recipe at home. They are more hygienic, fresh and economical when made at home. Here I am sharing the easiest method that I follow.
I recently blanched almonds for making badam kheer and I also made this post ready. I have blanched just 1/2 cup almonds here for single use. You can blanch big quantity and store for few days too.
Uses of blanched almonds:
- In Indian cuisine we use blanched and peeled almonds in making katli, halwa, badam kheer recipes. You can also dry roast the peeled almonds and use badam mik powder.
- The most common use of blanched almonds is making almond meal. Just dry roast the blanched almonds and grind to a fine powder for homemade almond meal.
How to make blanched almonds with step by step photos.
Take water in a pan and bring to a rapid boil
Add almonds and switch off the flame.
Let the almonds be in hot water for 2-3 minutes.
Drain the almonds in a colander.
Rinse well under cold running water.
Now the almonds skin will be loose and shriveled, Take an almond and gently press between thumb and index finger. The peel will come off very easily.
Be sure to be gentle else the almonds will pop up and fall off the floor.
Spread the blanched almonds on a clean baking tray.
You can either sun dry the almonds for 20 minutes or dry roast in a pan for 2-3 minutes to remove the moisture.
Now you can use blanched almonds as required.
Homemade Blanched Almonds
How To Blanch Almonds At Home
- 1/2 cup almonds raw
- Take water in a pan and bring to a rapid boil
- Add almonds and switch off the flame.
- Let the almonds be in hot water for 2-3 minutes.Drain the almonds in a colander.
- Rinse well under cold running water.
- Now the almonds skin will be loose and shriveled, Take an almond and gently press between thumb and index finger. The peel will come off very easily.
- Be sure to be gentle else the almonds will pop up and fall off the floor.
- Spread the blanched almonds on a clean baking tray.
- You can either sun dry the almonds for 20 minutes or dry roast in a pan for 2-3 minutes to remove the moisture.
- Now blanched almonds are ready to use.