Badam milk powder for toddlers and kids that you can make and store for days. Indian almond milk is a delicious and healthy energizing drink for growing kids. This almond milk powder can be used in various ways too.
It has many medicinal properties and nutritional benefits. While it is very easy to grab a pack of badam powder or badam milk mix from stores, did you known you can make kesar badam milk powder at home very easily?
Clean, hygienic and preservative free badam drink mix that is best for babies, toddlers and kids! Read on to know more 🙂
Are you looking for easy and tasty ways to include almonds in your diet? Then this badam milk powder recipe with step by step photos is what you need 🙂
- About Almond Powder Recipe
- How Is Kesar Badam Milk Powder Made?
- How To Make Badam Milk Powder Recipe
- How To Make Badam Milk With This Mix
- What Other Ways I Can Use This Badam Powder?
- Tips For Making Badam Powder
- You Might Also Like
- Badam Milk Powder Recipe
About Almond Powder Recipe
Almond powder or badam powder is a blend of powdered blanched almonds with sugar or any other sweetener, flavorings like cardamom and saffron.
It is a very delicious, flavorful and healthy supplement for toddlers, kids and adults to consume with milk. I also use it various other ways.
Badam or almonds are one of nutritional super foods especially for growing kids. Mixing powdered almonds with milk is one of the easiest ways to include both almonds and milk in kids diet.
Badam milk is tasty, flavorful and rich that kids love to drink. Homemade badam milk powder is pure protein without any additives or fillers. Moreover you can use finest quality of almonds and control sugar level.
I am big on making homemade powders and love to prepare them mostly at home. We have a stash of homemade tea masala powder, milk masala powder, hot chocolate, instant ragi malt, chocolate ragi malt handy for healthy and tasty beverages anytime.
Now there is no dearth of badam mix or badam powder at stores, so why make at home? Did you know that in all the popular brands like MTR badam mix contains less than 10% of almonds and loaded with sugar, malt and preservatives? Alternately when made at home you can make it very clean and add only healthy ingredients. Sold?
Making badam powder is really easy and just takes some effort on our part. We need to blanch, peel and dry the almonds first. If working on a large quantity of almonds is difficult for you, you can make this powder with just 1/2 cup almonds on weekly basis.
Along with blanched almonds I add few pistachios, cashews for this powder. I do not prefer to add milk powder in this recipe. For flavor we use roasted saffron and cardamom pods.
You can make badam milk powder with or without sugar. I add sugar as it helps in making fine badam powder. If you don’t add sugar in the powder, just add while making the drink.
This Badam Milk Powder Recipe Is
Clean, hygienic & preservative free
100% homemade & healthy
Best health drink for growing kids and toddlers.
Vegan & gluten free
Delicious, flavorful and can be used in multiple ways.
How Is Kesar Badam Milk Powder Made?
To prepare badam milk powder first we will blanch the almonds. Select fresh and new almonds that are not rancid and tastes good. It is a good idea to taste one or two almonds before committing to a big quantity.
Once blanched peel them and spread on a clean cloth to absorb all the moisture. Then dry roast or oven roast so that they crisp up. Roasting is optional and as with any powder recipe, it increases the shelf life.
Now along with roasted almonds add saffron, cardamom pods and other nuts if using. Powder well at intervals to avoid the oil release. Finally powder the sugar separately and mix well. If your mixer is not of high powder you can sieve the powder and grind the coarse nuts again.
I like to add the powdered sugar separately as this way the sugar kind of absorbs the oil from the nuts and makes a fine powder. You can also add along with nuts.
Once done spread the badam powder on a big tray or baking sheet and dry under the fan for 10 minutes. Break any small lumps and give a thorough mix. Store in clean jars. It stays good easily for 20 days in room temperature and 2 months in refrigerator.
How To Make Badam Milk Powder Recipe
Preparation (Blanching Almonds)
1. Bring 3 cups water to a rolling boil and add 1 cup rinsed almonds to it. Let it blanch for 5 minutes in boiling water. Furthermore let the almonds soak in hot water for 10 minutes.
2. Peel the blanched almonds. Spread on a clean cotton cloth and let the excess moisture dry out.
3. Now heat pan and add the blanched almonds. Roast in low flame for 5-6 minutes or until they crisp up. Remove them to a plate. Roasting the almonds helps in making fine powder as well as increases the shelf life of the powder.
4. In the same roast cashews and pistachios if using. Also roast the saffron strands and cardamom pods.
5. Spread all the roasted ingredients on a plate and let cool completely. If you grind while the nuts are warm they will tend to release more oil.
Making Almond Milk Powder With Sugar
6. Once cooled down grind to a fine powder. Grind at small intervals to avoid oil release. Spread the powder on a plate.
7. In the same mixture jar powder 3/4 or 1 cup sugar and add to the prepared badam powder. Mix very well.
8. Store in clean jar and use as mentioned below.
How To Make Badam Milk With This Mix
To make 3 servings:
Bring 3 cups of milk to boil. I prefer to use whole milk for my kid.
Add 3-4 teaspoons of prepared badam powder per cup. Mix well and serve. You can also chill and serve it as a cold drink.
Do note that the milk should be hot while adding this powder so that it dissolves well.
What Other Ways I Can Use This Badam Powder?
This is a very versatile powder that you can use in many ways.
- Add few teaspoons while making drinks like mango milkshake, gulkand lassi, dates milkshake, dry fruit milkshake, mango milk
- You can use it to thicken payasams and kheer like rice kheer, pumpkin kheer, carrot kheer
- Use in your oats porridge or overnight oats to make it more flavorful.
- Use in smoothies and smoothie bowls. I sometimes add 1-2 teaspoons of this mix while making vanilla ice cream for a wonderful flavor variation.
- You can make instant ladoo by adding few spoons of ghee to this powder.
Tips For Making Badam Powder
Almonds- Use good quality almonds that are rancid free. If you wish you can use almonds with skin. While grinding with skin helps in making powder, do note that blanching and removing the skin releases phytic acid and ease the digestion.
Sweetener- Here I have used organic raw sugar. Other healthier choices are cane sugar, rock sugar or kalkand, palm sugar or coconut sugar. Regular granulated sugar can also be used. Instead of sugar you can make the powder plain and add honey while serving.
Flavoring- Cardamom and saffron are the best flavors for badam milk hands down. If you want you make this recipe plain and add flavors like vanilla or almond extract while making the drink.
Sometimes I also add 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder to this mix. It adds wonderful color, flavor and also improves the health benefits of this kesar badam powder.
Other nuts- Adding some cashews and pistachios increase the flavor and nutritional profile of this milk powder mix. So I suggest you add them.
You Might Also Like
I hope you will try this badam milk powder recipe and enjoy as much as we did. Please give a star rating ★ in the recipe card below. Follow us on Pinterest , Instagram, Facebook for more recipes and ideas.
Badam Milk Powder Recipe
Badam Milk Powder
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 2 tablespoons unsalted pistachios
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron strands
- 6 plump green cardamoms
- 3/4 cup sugar increase up to 1 cup if required
- Bring 3 cups water to a rolling boil and add 1 cup rinsed almonds to it. Let it blanch for 5 minutes in boiling water. Furthermore let the almonds soak in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Peel the blanched almonds. Spread on a clean cloth and let the excess moisture dry out.
- Now heat pan and add the blanched almonds. Roast in low flame for 5-6 minutes or until they crisp up. Remove them to a plate.Roasting the almonds helps in making fine powder as well as increases the shelf life of the powder.
- In the same roast cashews and pistachios if using. Also roast the saffron strands and cardamom pods.
- Spread all the roasted ingredients on a plate and let cool completely. If you grind while the nuts are warm they will tend to release more oil.
- Once cooled down grind to a fine powder. Grind at small intervals to avoid oil release. Spread the powder on a plate.
- In the same mixture jar powder 3/4 or 1 cup sugar and add to the prepared badam powder. Mix very well.
- Store in clean jar and use as required.
- Make sure to roast the blanched almonds well before grinding
- Adding other nuts are optional but suggested.
- You can double or halve the recipe