Pasta in red sauce recipe or red sauce pasta recipe with step by step photos. Quick and easy pasta recipe with tomatoes and optional cheese.
I got few requests for this pasta in red sauce recipe when I shared this super tempting white sauce pasta recipe. Red sauce pasta in comparatively low in calories too when compared with white sauce pasta. The base for the red sauce for this pasta is blanched and pureed tomatoes. Here I have added very finely chopped veggies like carrots,capsicums and onions to add some substance to the sauce. You can add or leave the veggies.
To make pasta in red sauce recipe I have used elbow pasta, you can use any type of pasta you have in hand. Use fresh and bright tomatoes for a bright colored sauce and blanching the tomatoes adds to the color too. You can use any fresh or dried herbs of your choice like basil, parsley, oregano to flavor the red sauce. I have used dried mixed pasta seasoning here.
This pasta in red sauce is a very flavorful and delicious dish, when made with whole heat pasta, this will be a very good indulgent meal, you can even pack it in tiffin.
To make a creamy and smooth pasta in red sauce that doesn’t turn dry after some time you need to add about 1/4-1/3 cup of pasta cooked water. The addition pasta cooked water ensures that the pasta remains fresh and smooth even after cooling.In this red sauce pasta recipe, I have topped the pasta with grated cheese, you can leave out the cheese if you do not want.
Here is how to make pasta in red sauce recipe, do give it a try!
Check here for more easy pasta recipes.
Pasta in red sauce recipe with step by step photos.
1. Bring plenty of water to boil in a pot. Add the pasta and cook till soft. Drain the cooked pasta and reserve the stock.
2. Blanch 3 large tomatoes. peel and puree the tomatoes. You can make a smooth puree or leave some small chunks of tomatoes.
3. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a pan. Add chopped onions, capsicum and carrots. Saute till they turn soft.
4. Add the pureed tomatoes and mix well. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Add 1/3 cup pasta cooked water and mix well. Cook further for 2 minutes.
5. Add salt, pepper powder, chilli flakes and sugar. Mix well. Add dried herbs and mix well.
6. Cook till the sauce turns thick and smooth.
7. Add cooked pasta and mix well. Top with grated cheese and serve red sauce pasta hot.
Vegans can just leave out cheese or use vegan cheese in this recipe
Pasta in red sauce recipe card below:
- 1 cup pasta
- 3 large tomatoes blanched and pureed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped bell peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoons pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried herbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
Cook and drain pasta, reserving the stock.
Blanch,peel and puree the tomatoes.
Heat a pan with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add the finely chopped vegetables and saute till they turn soft.
Add pureed tomatoes and mix well.
Add 1/3 cup reserved pasta stock and mix well.
Add salt, chilli flakes, dried herbs and salt. Mix well and cook for 5-7 minutes.
Add sugar and cook till the sauce thickens.
Add pasta and mix well.
Serve pasta in red sauce hot with grated cheese.
1. Adding cheese is optional.
2. You can grind 1/2 boiled carrot along with blanched tomatoes.