Last updated on October 8th, 2019
Bombay potatoes recipe is a popular side dish made with baby potatoes and regular Indian spices. One versatile side dish that you can serve with rice, dal, roti and poori. This easy Indian potato side dish is also popular in UK and can be made in 20 minutes. Here is how to make easy Bombay potatoes recipe with step by step photos.
Potato recipes are much loved across the globe and every country has its own set of popular and delicious potato recipes. This Bombay potato curry is one such recipe that has its origin from India yet very popular in UK.
I got the recipe of this curry from my friend and I have made it many times at home. If you have a pack of baby potatoes lying around, do give this quick Bombay potatoes try.
A simple no grind potato curry made with regular Indian spices, these Bombay potatoes are simple yet festive side dish that sure to make an impression in any meal.
You just need very basic Indian spices for this curry.I have used onions here but you can feel free to skip it.
Serve Bombay potatoes with roti, poori or rice and dal. Tastes excellent when served hot. Here is an easy step by step recipe for making Bombay potatoes.
More potato recipes you might like
What Are Bombay Potatoes?
Bombay potatoes are easy side dish recipe made with baby potatoes and regular Indian spices. Par boiled potatoes are sauteed in a dry spice blend and garnished with cilantro leaves. The making of whole dish takes 20 minutes which includes the cooking time for potatoes.
Bombay potatoes are vegan and gluten free curry that everyone can enjoy. Usually asafoetida is added but it is optional.
Bombay Potatoes Ingredients:
We need very simple and regular pantry staples to make Bombay potatoes.
First of all we need par boiled and peeled baby potatoes. Next the dry whole spices we need are mustard, methi seeds, fennel seeds and coriander seeds.
For seasoning we use kashmiri red chili powder, cumin powder and turmeric powder. Finally garnish generously with coriander leaves and finish with some lemon juice.
How To Make Bombay Potatoes?
Begin making Bombay potatoes by par boiling baby potatoes. Once done, peel and prick the potatoes in few places. Next temper the whole spices and saute well. Add the boiled potatoes and saute quickly. Season with salt, spice powders and cook for around 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro leaves and add in the lemon juice. Mix and serve 🙂
Recipe Notes and Tips:
Though baby potatoes are ideal in this recipe you can also use regular ones. Just par boil and chop them into big cubes.
You can leave out any of the whole spice if you do not prefer.
Just par boil the potatoes for 5-7 minutes else they might turn mushy on further cooking.
You can add finely chopped tomatoes after frying onions.
The recipe can be doubled or halved.
How To Make Bombay Potatoes Step by step
1. First of all boil and peel the baby potatoes. Peel the potatoes and prick them in few places.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in thick pan or kadai. Temper with mustard seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, methi seeds. Saute and let the spices crackle.
3. Add finely chopped onions and saute well.
4. Now add the peeled potatoes and saute well.
5. Add cumin powder, salt and chili powder. Saute and cook for 6-10 minutes. Toss the potatoes well in the spices.
6. Add cilantro leaves and mix well. Finally add lemon juice and mix well. Serve hot.
Bombay Potatoes Recipe
Bombay Potatoes Recipe
- 300 grams baby potatoes boiled and peeled
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon methi seeds fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds slightly crushed
- 1 big onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- First of all boil and peel the baby potatoes. Peel the potatoes and prick them in few places.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in thick pan or kadai. Temper with mustard seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, methi seeds. Saute and let the spices crackle.
- Add finely chopped onions and saute well.
- Now add the peeled potatoes and saute well.
- Add cumin powder, salt and chili powder. Saute and cook for 6-10 minutes. Toss the potatoes well in the spices.
- Add cilantro leaves and mix well. Finally add lemon juice and mix well. Serve hot.