Last updated on October 19th, 2020
Bread roll recipe with step by step photos. A tasty party snack recipe with spiced mashed potatoes and bread slices. Potato stuffed bread rolls tastes wonderful with masala tea!
Bread roll is my favorite snack since childhood. We used to have this as after school snack on our way back home. Piping rolls with potato stuffing was a hot favorite from our local bakery. Along with these rolls we use to gorge on masala toast, samosa, vada pav, pav bhaji, pani puri, veg puff, veg rolls too.
There are many ways to make this recipe. The most popular one is the on with potato filling. You can also make paneer stuffing, mushroom rolls, veg rolls with bread too. You can also check this bread balls recipe.
To make bread roll recipe a simple spiced mashed potatoes are stuffed inside the bread slices. They are further rolled and fried. You can choose to deep fry or shallow fry. I have shallow fried here. You can even bake them.
I like to keep the stuffing for this recipe simple. It is just mashed potatoes mixed with basic spice powders and salt. We prefer this simple one over the other options. Spiced mashed potatoes are commonly used in Indian recipes like aloo paratha, batata vada, potato lollipop, pav sandwich recipes.
Bread roll tastes best with green chutney. You can serve with spicy red chutney or sauce.
This Bread Roll Recipe Is
Quick, easy and simple to make
Tastes absolutely delicious & flavorful
Excellent filling & wholesome after school snack
Can be made gluten free by using gluten free bread.
Ingredients You Will Need
Bread- Use fresh bread for easy rolling. If your bread is stale or even a day old, rolling becomes difficult even after dipping in water. I prefer classic white bread for such snacks with bread. The slight sweetness and rich taste from white bread is excellent in such snacks. Brown or wheat bread simply does not make the cut. Having said that you can use brown or wheat bread if there are dietary restrictions.
Potatoes- use potatoes that mash well and have great flavor like russets (in US). Here I usually prefer to use new potatoes with nice golden skin. Some potatoes tend to be sweet and they simply spoil the taste. Instead of potatoes you can also use sweet potatoes, yam or raw banana too.
Spice powders- You can easily play with spice powders in this recipe. Just use whatever you have in hand and it will turn out good. Here I have used garam masala powder, chili powder, dried mango powder. You can also try pav bhaji masala powder, chana masala powder for a differen taste.
Step By Step Method
1.Boil and peel the potatoes
2.Mash well and add salt and spice powders
4.Mix well and make a dough like ball.
5.Shape into small cylinder like balls as shown in the picture.
6. Take a bread slice and trim the edges if you want.
7.Dip the bread slice in a bowl of water for just 10-12 seconds and remove very quickly.Squeeze the water gently,taking care not to break the slice.
8.Now place a potato ball in the corner of the slice and roll.It is ok if the bread breaks while rolling,just cover the entire thing using your hands, just make sure the filling doesn’t comes out.Repeat the same with all the potato balls.
9.Heat oil for shallow frying and shallow fry the prepared rolls,2 at a time until golden and crispy from both sides.
Bread rolls recipe | how to make stuffed bread rolls recipe
- 3 medium potatoes
- 7 bread slices
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mango powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- Oil for shallow frying
- Boil and peel the potatoes.
- Mash well and add salt ,garam masala,chaat masala,pepper powder,dried mango powder and chili powder
- Mix well and make a dough like ball.
- Shape into small cylinder like balls as shown in the picture.
- Take a bread slice and trim the edges if you want.
- Dip the bread slice in a bowl of water for just 10-12 seconds and remove very quickly.Squeeze the water gently,taking care not to break the slice.
- Now place a potato ball in the corner of the slice and roll. It is ok if the bread breaks while rolling,just cover the entire thing using your hands,just make sure the filling doesn't comes out.Repeat the same with all the potato balls.
- Heat oil for shallow frying and shallow fry the prepared rolls,2 at a time until golden and crispy from both sides.
- Drain and serve hot.
2.If the bread slice breaks while rolling,try to secure it with your hands and roll tightly.They will stay up
3. You can use different spice combinations as you prefer.