Last updated on January 31st, 2020
This batata vada is similar to south Indian aloo bonda while the seasonings mildly differ. Batata means potato in Marathi and vada usually stands for deep fried flattened snack.
This recipe of batata vada I am sharing here is similar to what you get in street shops. Tastes very delicious and addictive when served hot with tea.
This Batata Vada Recipe Is
Easy, quick to make snack for tea
Delicious and crispy
Vegan and can be made gluten free by skipping asafoetida
Perfect for making vada pao
Kids Friendly snack
How To Make Batata Vada For Snack?
To make batata vada first of all boil, peel and mash the potatoes. Next add salt, turmeric powder and tempered mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida. Mix well and make small balls.
Next make a thick yet flowing lump free batter with chickpea flour, salt, chili powder and asafoetida. Dip the seasoned potato balls in this batter and deep fry in hot oil. You can also slightly flatten the balls to give vada shape.
Batata vada are one of the easiest snack you can make for tea or after school snack. You can make the batter and the potato filling, shape it and refrigerate few hours ahead. At the time of frying just dip, fry and serve hot.
How To Assemble Vada Pav With Batata Vada
Batata vada is usually used for making vada pao. Apart from serving as tea time snacl you can vada pao as explained below.
Take a pav bun and slit it from one, keeping one end intact. Toast it in some butter or you can use it plain too. Spread some green chutney and sprinkle some dry garlic chutney. Stuff a freshly fried batata vada and close the bread. Serve immediately.
How To Make Batata Vada Step by Step.
Preparation Of Batter For Batata Vada
Mix all the flours,chilli powder and salt.Take 2 teaspoons oil from the frying pan and add to the flours. Mix with your finger tips.
Add around 1/2 cup water to form a thick batter.The batter should be thick enough to coat the potatoes.
Boil and peel the potatoes.Mash them very well so that there are no lumps.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil and do the tempering, from mustard through asafoetida. Add the tempering to the potatoes along with the oil.Mix well with a spoon ad let it cool for sometime.
Once they are warm to touch,mix well with your hands and make small balls. You should be able to make 8-10 balls for this quantity. Keep them aside.
To Deep Fry Batata Vada
Heat oil for deep frying.
Once the oil is hot, flatten the potato balls slightly and dip in the prepared batter and coat evenly.
Deep fry 2-3 batata vadas at a time in medium flame,until it is golden from both sides.
How To Serve Batata Vada?
You can serve batata vada as snack or use to make vada pav as done in Mumbai. To make vada pav you should sandwich this potato vada between laadi pav and serve with green chilies.
There are many variations with this recipe. I have shared the recipe for Mumbai style batata vada here. Some spices and their proportions vary from place to place while making this vada.
Tips For Making Best Batata Vada
Potatoes- Use potatoes that are fresh and mash up well. While you have to boil and mash the potatoes well, do not make them very pasty though.
Rice flour- Adding a little bit of rice flour while making chickpea flour batter helps in making crispy vada. You can also add corn flour.
To ease digestion you can some carom seeds in the batter. Asafoetida is added for the same reason.
To make gluten free batata vada skip asafoetida and add carom seeds.
You can vary the quantities of spice powders as per preference.
While making for kids you can serve with sweet chutney or mildly spiced green chutney also.
The recipe can be doubled, tripled and halved.
More Potato Snacks Recipes
I hope you will try this batata vada recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Batata Vada Recipe
Batata Vada Recipe | Mumbai Batata Vada
For vada batter
- 3/4 cup chick pea flour OR gram flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons hot oil
for potato stuffing
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 inch ginger peeled and minced
- 2 green chilies
- 10 curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- oil for deep frying
To make batter
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Mix all the flours,chilli powder and salt.Take 2 teaspoons oil from the frying pan and add to the flours.Mix with your finger tips.
- .Add around 1/2 cup water to form a thick batter.The batter should be thick enough to coat the potatoes.
To make potato stuffing for batata vada
- Boil and peel the potatoes.Mash them very well so that there are no lumps.
- Add salt and turmeric powder to the mashed potatoes.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil and do the tempering,from mustard through asafoetida. Add the tempering to the potatoes along with the oil.Mix well with a spoon ad let it cool for sometime.
- Once they are warm to touch,mix well with your hands and make small balls.You should be able to make 8-10 balls for this quantity.Keep them aside.
To make batata vada
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Once the oil is hot, flatten the potato balls slightly and dip in the prepared batter and coat evenly.
- Deep fry 2-3 vadas at a time in medium flame,until it is golden from both sides.
- Serve piping hot with green chutney,sweet chutney or sauce.
2.The consistency of batter is crucial.If it is too thin then it will not coat the potatoes,if too thick then the batter will remain uncooked.The consistency should be something like idly batter
3. If you are not going to make vada pav,there is no need to flatten the potato balls,you can just keep them round.