Potato chips recipe- homemade crispy, delicious and light potato chips that is so easy and fun to make.
You can make perfectly crispy potato chips easily at home and season as you wish.
Do yourself a favor, leave those packs of preservative laden chips in the store shelf and make a big batch at home! So easy, clean and crispy! Vegan and gluten free too!
Potato chips is the most favorite and popular snack across the globe. No wonder there are so many flavors available in this snack.
I like Indian style potato chips seasoned with red chili powder the most. The other two popular variations are pepper flavored ones and plain salted ones.
As you know most of the store bought chips are preservative laden and ridiculously expensive. But the good news is you can make perfect crispy potato chips at home in no time. It is so easy, economic and clean.
Also you can any oil you prefer while making at home. I usually use peanut oil but you can easily use olive oil, avocado oil or any vegetable oil.
There are many ways to make potato chips recipe at home. Depending upon the time and the quality of potatoes used you can choose the method.
- Slicing the scrubbed potatoes directly into hot oil (second picture)
- Soaking and rinsing the sliced potatoes and then frying (First and third picture)
Usually the second method yields whiter chips but you can absolutely follow the first method too.
If you are beginner I suggest you scale down the recipe and make half a batch first.
Once you get the knack you can easily make these chips at home whenever you want.
I have seen my mom making a batch of potato chip often at home that too effortlessly. We loved the flavor and taste of these homemade chips and we never purchased from shops. This is our tried and tested family recipe that is so easy with simple steps.
This Homemade Potato Chips Recipe
Hygienic, clean and economical
So much better than store bought
Great recipe for beginners
Crispy light and delicious
Vegan and gluten free
makes for perfect snack to munch
To make perfectly crispy potato chip at home you need to get the right kind of potatoes and a proper gadget to slice them. Once those are taken care of, the recipe is fairly simple. It is actually all about perfect preparation.
Select fresh new potatoes with smooth skin and free of bruises. Basically the ones with high starch content should be used. Russet or King Edward varieties are best for chips.
Next a hand held mandoline is best for slicing the potatoes. You can also use a very sharp knife. The idea is to get slices as thin as possible.
Which Potatoes Are Best For Chips?
The general rule of thumb is use potatoes with high starch content for frying. These potatoes are best for fried, chips and making potato wedges.
Idaho, yukon gold, russet, King Edward, kipfler are few potato varieties suitable for frying.
New potatoes, fingerlings are not suitable for frying.
Also try to select large potatoes to get big neat slices.
How To Slice The Potatoes For Chips?
For making chips we need to slice the potatoes super thin. Thinner the better. Easiest method is to use a mandoline slicer. I use a handheld mandoline slicer to slice the vegetables for making chips. Just use the right blade attachment and you can slice the potatoes in no time.
If you don’t have a mandoline use a super sharp knife or the grater side of the box grater will work.
How To Prepare The Potatoes Before Frying?
This recipe needs some prep work. You cannot directly peel, slice and fry them. The potatoes have high starch content and we need to remove it as much as possible before frying.
Peel the potatoes, slice them and soak them in salted cold water for 30 minutes. Then rinse them thoroughly changing water twice or thrice. This will remove the excess starch and also the chips will be lighter and won’t turn red on frying.
Spread the drained slices on paper towels or clean kitchen towels and let them dry thoroughly before frying.
How To Make Potato Chips
Select big potatoes of uniform size. Wash and scrub thoroughly to remove all the dirt and mud. Peel the skin and soak in water until use.
Using a good quality slicer slice the potatoes thinly. Soak in salted water as you slice.
Drain excess water.
Spread the slices on a clean towel and dry for 10 minutes.
Heat oil for deep frying and slide the dried slices into the oil. Do not overcrowd the pan,fry the slices until golden brown in batches.
Once you add the sliced potatoes, let it fry till the sizzling noise ceases and bubbling of oil settles down. Keep turning once in a while. Once done and the slices turn light golden brown remove to paper towels.
In a small bowl mix required amount of salt and chili powder and keep aside.
Once you have finished frying all the slices, toss the salt and chili powder to the chips and mix well. Let it cool thoroughly to room temperature.
Store the chips in airtight box and serve as needed.
- salt and pepper powder – classic and all time favorite
- sea salt- for a delicious crunch
- salt and chili powder- for those who like it spicy
- a pinch of masala powder, salt- if you want to perk the flavors up
- salt, onion and garlic powder – absolutely delicious and flavorful
Can We Bake These Chips?
Instead of frying the chips you can even bake these in oven. Wash and scrub the potatoes very well. Slice and soak in salted water as you slice all the potatoes. Drain very well and dry on a kitchen towel for 10 minutes.
Preheat oven at 220 C. Arrange the slices on a greased baking tray in single layer. Give a quick spray of oil if needed. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Once they are crispy and golden brown remove from oven. Season as required
Recipe Notes & Tips
- Use a very sharp good quality slicer for getting uniform thin slices. I suggest mandoline slicer.
- Soak the slices in salted water to avoid the browning of potato chips
- Adjust seasoning as per taste
- Make sure to wipe the sliced potatoes in kitchen towel or dry them for few minutes before frying
- Make sure the oil is hot so that potato slices do not soak up oil.
You Might Also Like
I hope you will try this recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
Homemade Potato Chips Recipe
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 4 Potatoes large
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- Oil As needed for frying
- Select big potatoes of uniform size. Wash and scrub thoroughly to remove all the dirt and mud. No need to peel the skin. Dry them on a kitchen towel.
- Using a good quality slicer slice the potatoes thinly. Soak in salted water as you slice. Drain and dry for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil for deep frying and slide the dried slices into the oil. Do not over crowd the pan,fry the slices in batches.
- Do not over crowd the pan,fry the slices in batches.
- Once you add the potato slices,let it fry till the sizzling noise ceases and bubbling of oil settles down. Keep turning once in a while. Once done,wait for 2-3 seconds and remove the chips to a kitchen towel.
- In a small bowl mix required amount of salt and chilli powder and keep aside.
- Once you have finished frying all the slices,toss the salt and chilli powder to the chips and mix well. Let it cool thoroughly.
- Store the potato chips in airtight box and serve as needed.