Cooker cake recipe for all those who want to bake a cake without an oven. You can bake a soft, spony and moist cake without an oven using a pressure cooker found in all Indian homes. I have made this cooker cake in orange flavor and we absolutely loved it. Here is my recipe for making cooker cake with detailed steps. Do try it out!
Cooker cake is not a new technique or method here in India. In fact many of you would have tasted delicious cooker cake and nankhatai made by a family member or neighbor. My mother used to bake a tasty eggless vanilla cake in a pressure cooker that we devoured hot off the stove 🙂
In India all most all the households have a pressure cooker and we use it extensively in kitchen. When we were kids my mom used to spread sand inside the base and make butter biscuits or a simple sponge cake occasionally.
As soon as I started cooking we purchased an oven and baked cakes in that only. Off late I have been getting requests for this cooker cake recipe and here it is for you all 🙂 This is an eggless orange cake recipe in a cooker. So if you are a vegetarian and want to try a cooker cake, this one is for you 🙂
Making a basic eggless cake in a pressure cooker is easy and simple. There are no special steps and I would say this is less complicated than using an oven. You can also bake this nankhatai in the cooker.
So even if you are beginner you can bake pressure cooker orange cake with success. This recipe will yield a very soft and delicious cake with beautiful crumb as you can see in the photos. You can use the same recipe to make orange cake in oven too.
Here I have used whole wheat flour or atta to make this cake. You can also use maida or cake flour for this recipe.
Tips For Making Perfect Cooker Cake At Home
To make cooker cake, here I am using this eggless orange cake recipe. You can use any of your trusted cake recipe with or without eggs to bake in cooker.
- First of all select a big sturdy cooker base with lid. Remove the gasket and weight from the lid.
- Usually it is said aluminium pressure cooker is best for baking but I only used a steel cooker here as I don’t use aluminium in my kitchen.
- It is mandatory to spread some sea salt or sand in the base as it will withstand the heat and helps in uniform baking.
- Add salt or sand and preheat the cooker for 15 minutes in low heat.
- After baking and removing the cake from cooker, let the cooker base cool and reach room temperature before cleaning. If you clean the hot cooker with cold water it will weaken the base.
- If you bake very often it is better to keep a cooker for baking alone. But if you bake once in a while, just follow the above instructions and your cooker will be good for both baking and pressure cooking.
- Select the baking tin that fits well and comes out easily from the cooker. Do not use tin that is exactly of the same size of the base.
- Use a stand that comes with the cooker to place the cake tin. If you do not have a stand use a small plate
- Use round tin preferably.
- Always bake in low flame.
As you see above this eggless orange cake baked in a pressure cooker has a flat top. You can do any type of frosting on this cake too. You can also make this butter cake recipe in pressure cooker.
Do try this cooker cake recipe at home and tell me how it turned out for you.
More eggless cakes you might like honey cake, cinnamon apple cake, walnut banana bread, eggless carrot cake.
How To Make Cooker Cake Recipe Step by Step
1. Heat a heavy pressure cooker over low eat. Spread 1 cup crystal salt and saute slightly. Then cover the cooker and heat for 15-20 minutes. Remove the gasket and weight of the pressure cooker.
2.Into a mixing bowl 1/2 cup soft butter, 3/4 cup orange juice, 200 grams condensed milk, 2 tablespoons sugar and mix well. cream well until the whole mixture is light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract, orange zest and mix well.
3. Now sift baking powder, flour, baking soda and a pinch of salt directly over the wet ingredients. Mix gently and make the batter.
4. Grease well a 6 inch round tin. Line or dust with flour. Now pour the batter into the tin. Tap well and level the batter.
5. Place this tin into the hot cooker over the stand.
6. Close and cook in low flame for 40-50 minutes until a tester comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool before slicing for neat slices. Serve eggless orange cake with coffee.
Cooker Cake Recipe
Eggless orange cake recipe in pressure cooker
1 CUP = 250 ml
- Wet mixture
- 1/2-3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice undiluted
- 200 ml or 1/2 half tin sweetened condensed milk
- 100 grams/ 1/2 cup soft butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Zest of half small orange
- Dry mixture
- 1 14 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- Heat a heavy pressure cooker over low eat. Spread 1 cup crystal salt and saute slightly. Then cover the cooker and heat for 15-20 minutes. Remove the gasket and weight of the pressure cooker.
- Into a mixing bowl 1/2 cup soft butter, 3/4 cup orange juice, 200 grams condensed milk, 2 tablespoons sugar and mix well. cream well until the whole mixture is light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract, orange zest and mix well.
- Now sift baking powder, flour, baking soda and a pinch of salt directly over the wet ingredients. Mix gently and make the batter.
- Grease well a 6 inch round tin. Line or dust with flour. Now pour the batter into the tin. Tap well and level the batter.
- Place this tin into the hot cooker over the stand.
- Close and cook in low flame for 40-50 minutes until a tester comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool before slicing for neat slices. Serve eggless orange cake with coffee.
2. Do the entire cooking in low baking
3. You can bake the same cake in oven at 180C for 30-40 minutes.
Are you making this recipe? Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou. Do leave a ⋆ rating along with your feedback!
Let us connect on Instagram, Facebook, pinterest & Twitter for more fun recipes and stories!
Thank you so much for this orange cake recipe Harini. I made this thrice in pressure cooker and we enjoyed it a lot.
Can I use packaged orange juice ?