Last updated on June 27th, 2019
Hara bhara kabab recipe with step by step photos. Sharing a very healthy green kabab or cutlet recipe with the goodness of spinach and green peas. Hara bhara kabab recipe is a popular north indian snack. True to its name hara bhara kabab is in bright green color due to the addition of fresh green peas and blanched spinach.
Hara bhara kabab recipe is very easy recipe with common ingredients and taste superb. At first when I referred to a recipe of hara bhara kabab in a book. I was thinking how would a kabab taste with spinach and gram flour. It is very unusual I thought,but once I made and tasted I liked the the taste and texture as well. Absolutely not mushy,the roasted gram flour does the magic here. Roasting the gram flour makes the hara bhara kakab very crispy and also lends a very nutty flavor and taste to the kabab. As we are not using any bread crumbs or rava to roll over in this recipe of hara bhara kakab, it is a must to use gram flour here for binding.
I referred to the recipe of hara bhara kabab in few books and came up with this method. I have also eaten hara bhara kakab in few restaurants. One thing I do not like about the kababs I tasted in restaurants is they are very dark green almost blackish. The recipe I referred to tells you to the blanch the spinach with little sugar. This step is very important for getting bright green colored hara bhara kabab. You can deep fry or shallow fry or toast the kababs on a tava too as per your choice. Here I have shallow fried the kababs.
Hara bhara kabab is great finger food for toddlers and kids, these crispy cutlets are so delicious,filling and healthy that you can serve these are breakfast too. Do try this easy hara bhara kabab recipe for those fussy kids and toddlers, they will surely eat their dose of spinach and peas this way 🙂
To make hara bhara kabab recipe gram flour is used instead of maida. Addition of gram flour adds a nice flavor and taste to the kabab. These kababs are way more healthy.
Serve hara bhara kabab with coffee
How to make hara bhara kabab
1. To begin with the recipe of hara bhara kabab, boil,peel and mash the potatoes and peas together. Do not make it very pasty though.
2. Blanch drain and roughly chop the spinach. Grind to a coarse paste along with cilantro,green chilli and ginger.
3. Roast besan/kadalai mavu till nice aroma wafts out.
4. Now take peas-potato mixture,spinach paste and gram flour in a mixing bowl.
5. Add salt and spice powders. Knead slightly and make equal sized balls. Shape into cutlets.
6. Heat oil in a shallow frying pan, fry the shaped cutlets until golden brown from both sides.
7. Drain to a kitchen towel and serve hara bhara kabab hot with sauce.
Hara bhara kabab recipe card below:
Hara bhara kabab recipe | how to make hara bhara kabab
- 2 large potatoes boiled and peeled
- 3/4 cup fresh green peas
- 1 cup spinach leaves blanched and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons kadalai mavu
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 " ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- Boil,peel and mash the potatoes and peas together. Do not make it very pasty though.
- Blanch drain and roughly chop the spinach. Grind to a corase paste along with cilantro,green chilli and ginger.
- Roast besan/kadalai mavu till nice aroma wafts out.
- Now take peas-potato mixture,spinach paste and gram flour in a mixing bowl.
- Add salt,chaat powder,chilli powder and mix well. Knead slightly and make equal sized balls. Shape into cutlets.
- Heat oil in a shallow frying pan, fry the shaped cutlets until golden brown from both sides.
- Drain to a kitchen towel and serve hara bhara kabab hot with sauce.
2. Drain the spinach very well before grinding.
3. You ca substitute gram flour with rice/corn flour