Kanda poha recipe with step by step photos. Kanda poha or poha recipe with onions is a very popular Maharastrian breakfast but popular across India. Kanda poha recipe, batata poha recipe, kanda batata poha recipes are other popular poha recipes. Puli aval, aval upma, lemon aval are popular poha recipes from Tamilnadu.
Poha for breakfast is a very healthy, quick and tasty option when you are in short of time. Poha is a maharastrian word for flattened rice also known as rice flakes. It is known as aval in Tamil. Kanda poha means onion poha recipe where poha is quickly tossed with sauteed onions along with other spices. When eaten hot kanda poha is a very very delicious and satisfying breakfast. poha or aval is very tasty, very nutritious and a must for growing toddlers and kids. poha recipe varies from place to place. I used to refer sanjeev kapoor’s poha recipe too sometime.
I love to cook with poha and I always stock up on it. Apart from making kanda poha or batata poha, I use it various recipes. I use crushed poha to coat cutlets too. Cutlets come out very crispy than using bread crumbs. You can make keasri, payasam too with poha.
To make kanda poha recipe at home you need very simple ingredients, poha, onion and just regular tempering ingredients. The poha should be soft but not mushy for this kanda poha recipe. I rinse poha well under tap water. Let the excess water drian of for 10 minutes. This will make the poha soft and prevent it from getting dry. In this kanda poha recipe, I have not added any vegetables. When making for toddlers and kids you can sneak in some grated carrots. While making poha make sure to use thick or medium thick poha. Paper aval / very very thin poha is not suitable for this poha recipe. You have use red rice poha or varieties of millet poha available easily these days can be used in this poha recipe.
You can serve kanda poha with some grated coconut and fine sev or just plain with coffee. I love to eat it piping hot without any topping 🙂
Here is how to make easy and healthy kanda poha recipe with step by step photos.
how to make onion poha or kanda poha recipe with step by step photos.
1. Measure and rinse the poha very well under running water. Gently squeeze the excess water. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let them crackle. Add urad dal, chana dal and saute well.Add crushed ginger-green chillies and saute well. Add peanuts and saute well. Add curry leaves and saute for 2 minutes.
3. Add thinly sliced onions and saute till the color changes slightly.
4. Add drained poha and mix well. Add salt, sugar and mix well. Cook in medium flame for just 2-3 minutes. Remove from flame.Add lemon juice and mix well. Serve kanda poha hot.
Onion poha recipe or kanda poha recipe card below:
Kanda poha recipe, how to make kanda poha recipe
- 1 cup poha/aval/rice flakes
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons peanuts
- 2 teaspoons urad dal
- 2 teaspoons channa dal
- 2 green chillies+1/2 inch ginger crushed together
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 10-12 curry leaves
- Optional ingredients:
- Grated coconut
- Fine sev for serving
- Wash, rinse and drian the poha. Let the poha be moist and soft.
- Heat a pan with 3 teaspoons oil.
- Temper with cumin seeds. Add peanuts,urad and channa dal. Fry well.
- Add crushed green chili and ginger, mix and saute well.
- Add curry leaves and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add drained poha and mix well.
- Add salt, sugar and mix well. Cook for 2minutes
- Remove from flame, add lemon juice mix well and serve kanda poha hot.
2. You ca add broken cashews along with/instead of peanuts
3. Add finely chopped cilantro leaves for garnishing if needed