Last updated on September 20th, 2019
Maa ki dal recipe or kali dal recipe is a delicious Punjabi recipe with whole black gram. This sabut urad dal preparation is nutritious, wholesome and very delicious. Serve with rice or roti for a comforting hearty meal. Here is how to make best maak ki dal recipe at home.
What Is Maa Ki Dal?
Maa ki daal literally means mother’s lentils in Punjabi. It is a figurative term to emphasis the place of this lentils in Punjabi cuisine. Whole black gram or sabut urad dal is known as maa ki dal or mah di dal or manh di dal or kali dal.
Soaked whole black gram is slow cooked in a slightly spiced onion tomato gravy in this recipe. The dal prepared is dark in color so known as kali dal too.
This is a very hearty, healthy and easy to make dal that goes very well with rice or rotis. If you want to make a very quick yet wholesome dish quickly do try this dal recipe
This Maa ki Dal/ Kali Dal Recipe
delicious and flavorful
quick and simple
What Is The Difference Between Dal Makhani and Maa Di Dal?
Maa ki dal is a everyday dal recipe from Punjabi cuisine and very much from dal makhani. Though both dal makhani and kali dal are made with black gram there are certain differences.
Dal makhani is prepared with butter and garnished with fresh cream. Along with black gram we also use rajma in dal makhani.
Maa ki dal on the other hand is prepared only with sabut urad dal. Usually butter or ghee is not used in this recipe. Also the creaminess comes from slow cooking the urad dal and there is no cream added here.
The basic recipe remains the same for both but small changes in ingredients and technique makes both recipes unique.
Maa Ki Dal Ingredients
Whole black gram
Whole black gram known as sabut urad dal in Hindi or karuppu ulundhu in Tamil is the main ingredient of this recipe. You should soak the lentils in plenty of water overnight or at least 4 hours. Soaking the lentils is very important as it ensures proper cooking and thereby proper digestion.
The tomato puree is the base of this recipe. I have added few cashews but it is totally optional.
You need the usual spice powders like turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala in this recipe. We do not use any whole spices in this recipe so use good quality spice powders
Oil or Ghee
I have used oil in this recipe. If you like to use ghee or butter you can do so. Adding ghee or butter will increase the richness of this maa ki dal.
The other ingredients you need to make kali dal are chopped onions, crushed ginger garlic and slit green chilies. If you want a richer finishing you can add fresh cream towards the end.
How To Make Maa Ki Dal Recipe Step by Step
Pick, rinse and soak sabut urad dal or whole black gram in plenty of water overnight.
Puree 3 large tomatoes with cashews if using.
To make maa di dal heat 3 tablespoons oil or ghee in a pressure cooker base.
Once the oil is hot temper with cumin leaves and a bay leaf.
Add sliced onions and saute till they turn soft.
Next add minced ginger garlic and slit green chilies. Saute till the raw smell goes off.
Add pureed tomatoes and mix. Add all the spice powders and saute till tomatoes release fat from the sides.
Now add the soaked and drained sabut urad dal.
Mix well and add required water and salt. Cover and pressure cook for 30-40 minutes (Around 20-22 whistles)
Once the pressure settles check if the kali dal is creamy and completely cooked. Simmer for 5-6 minutes to adjust consistency. Add cilantro leaves and mix well. Serve maa di dal hot.
What Goes Well With This Kali Dal?
We personally love this dal with soft phulka. This sabut urad dal also goes very well steamed basmati rice, naan, kulcha and other flatbreads. You can serve with some vegetable like bhindi masala, bhindi fry, potato fry, brinjal fry or cauliflower fry.
You can serve this dal hot or warm or even pack in tiffin. The flavors deepen and tastes very good.
Tips For Making Best Kali Dal
Soak the sabut urad dal or whole black gram thoroughly and preferably overnight. You have to soak the dry lentils very well for proper digestion.
Instead of oil you can use ghee or butter
You can vary the quantity of spice powders as per taste. Also you can adjust the consistency of kali dal by adding more or less water.
You can double or halve the recipe
More Dal Recipes
Maa Ki Dal Recipe
Maa Ki Dal Recipe
- 1/2 cup whole black gram sabut urad dal
- 3 large tomatoes
- 10 cashews optional
- 3 tablespoons oil or ghee
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste minced ginger garlic
- 2 green chilies slit
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- water as needed
- salt as needed
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- Pick, rinse and soak sabut urad dal or whole black gram in plenty of water overnight.
- Puree 3 large tomatoes with cashews if using.
- To make maa di dal heat 3 tablespoons oil or ghee in a pressure cooker base.
- Once the oil is hot temper with cumin leaves and a bay leaf.
- Add sliced onions and saute till they turn soft.
- Next add minced ginger garlic and slit green chilies. Saute till the raw smell goes off.
- Add pureed tomatoes and mix. Add all the spice powders and saute till tomatoes release fat from the sides.
- Now add the soaked and drained sabut urad dal. Mix well and add required water and salt. Cover and pressure cook for 30-40 minutes (Around 20-22 whistles)
- Once the pressure settles check if the kali dal is creamy and completely cooked. Simmer for 5-6 minutes to adjust consistency. Add cilantro leaves and mix well. Serve maa di dal hot.