Last updated on October 3rd, 2019
Spinach pasta recipe is a delicious and healthy pasta recipe that you can make in no time with simple ingredients. This pasta in spinach sauce is the best for toddlers and kids that love creamy pasta. You can sneak in loads of spinach and veggies in this creamy pasta and they will love it, look at the color 🙂 Check out this easy video recipe for making quick creamy spinach past at home!
Creamy pasta recipes are always welcome with everyone and especially with toddlers and kids. While we can once in a while indulge in creamy and rich pasta in white sauce, we might not prefer to feed it on regular basis to kids. But this spinach pasta is win win as it is rich and creamy yet no flour or cheese. Blanched spinach gives the sauce required thickness.
This delicious pasta in spinach sauce was in my mind for a long time. Last week when I had my hands on really farm fresh organic spinach leaves I made this pasta. Along with spinach leaves, Some milk is added for richness and it easily replaces the cheese.
Making this spinach pasta is a real breeze. Once you have chopped vegetables ready, you can make this pasta in 15 minutes. You can make the sauce very quickly while the pasta is cooking.
As with any of my pasta recipes here also I have sneaked in some vegetables. while adding veggies to this spinach pasta is optional, I suggest you keep them as they add some color and crunch to the otherwise smooth sauce.
Tips For Making Perfect Spinach Sauce Pasta:
Make sure to blanch the spinach leaves briefly. Blanching the spinach leaves really helps in bringing out the color and makes the pasta vibrant.
There is no need to add flour for the sauce the to thicken. Pureed spinach leaves thickness the sauce and and also makes it creamy.
I have added whole milk instead of cheese. You can however add some cheese finally or even garnish with grated parmesan cheese.
Variations With Spinach Pasta Recipe:
You can easily make pasta casserole with this recipe.
To make pasta casserole with this spinach pasta recipe, Just prepare the sauce with veggies and spinach separately first.
Cook pasta al dente.
Layer the cooked pasta and sauce alternately in a greased casserole starting and ending with pasta.
Top with grated cheese, olive oil and pasta seasoning. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-22 minutes at 190C till cheese melts and turns golden.
This pasta tastes wonderful when served warm as soon as made. The sauce thickens on cooling and the pasta may turn dry.
If you want to pack in toddlers and kids lunch, I suggest you make the sauce slightly thin so that it does not overly thicken and turn very dry.
Do try this yummy pasta in spinach sauce for dinner or this would also be a wonderful main course at our next party!
More similar pasta recipes you might like
Spinach Pasta Recipe Video:
How To Make Spinach Pasta Recipe
1. Cook pasta al dente, rinse under cold water and set side. keep the cooked pasta covered.
2. Rinse, clean and roughly chop the spinach leaves.
3. Bring a big pot of water to rolling boil. Add spinach leaves and blanch for 2 minutes.
4. Drain and immediately rinse the leaves in cold water and blend to a smooth puree.
5. Heat butter in a thick pan. Add minced garlic cloves and saute well.
6. Next add chopped onions and saute till the soften a bit.
7. Now add the chopped veggies and saute for 3-4 minutes.
8. Once the veggies turn a bit soft, add the spinach puree and coat well. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
9. Add cold milk slowly and mix very well in low flame.
10. Simmer and let the sauce thicken. Season with salt and pepper powder.
11. Add the cooked pasta and mix. Simmer for a minute.
12. Finally add pasta seasoning and mix well. Serve pasta in spinach sauce warm.
Spinach Pasta Recipe
Spinach Sauce Pasta
- 1 cup pasta penne or fusili
- 4 cups spinach leaves tightly packed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cups chopped vegetables carrot, bell peppers, baby corns, broccoli
- 1.5 cups whole milk boiled and cooled
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder Add more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon pasta seasoning Add more or less to taste
- Cook pasta al dente, rinse under cold water and set side. keep the cooked pasta covered.
- Rinse, clean and roughly chop the spinach leaves.
- Bring a big pot of water to rolling boil. Add spinach leaves and blanch for 2 minutes.
- Drain and immediately rinse the leaves in cold water and blend to a smooth puree.
- Heat butter in a thick pan. Add minced garlic cloves and saute well.
- Next add chopped onions and saute till the soften a bit.
- Now add the chopped veggies and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Once the veggies turn a bit soft, add the spinach puree and coat well. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cold milk slowly and mix very well in low flame.
- Simmer and let the sauce thicken. Season with salt and pepper powder.
- Add the cooked pasta and mix. Simmer for a minute.
- Finally add pasta seasoning and mix well. Serve pasta in spinach sauce warm.
Are you making this recipe? Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou. Do leave a ⋆ rating along with your feedback!