Masala Pasta Recipe- How To Make Pasta (Indian Style Pasta)
Masala pasta recipe- Sharing with you all a very delicious and easy to make Indian style pasta recipe with loads of vegetables added. Vegan, gluten free and ready in under 30 minutes from scratch.
This is such a kid friendly pasta recipe Indian style that you can pack in lunch box, after school snack or serve for quick dinner.
Pasta recipes are always a hit with kids and my kid is no exception. She can have pasta day in and out.
Instead of making cream laden white sauce pasta always, I make many variations to make it healthier and sneak in veggies as much as possible. This masala pasta recipe with loaded vegetables is something we all enjoy.
I make this Indian style masala pasta recipe for quick dinner or weekend brunch. Once you have chopped vegetables ready, you can make the masala and cook the pasta side by side. Once done, toss and serve. So good pasta in 20 minutes flat.
This is a very versatile recipe. You can throw in whatever you fancy into the masala and it comes out good every single time.
Have no vegetables handy? No problem, this masala pasta tastes good just with onions and tomatoes too.
Got fuzzy eaters at home? Sneak in as many vegetables as possible and watch them disappear in a flash 🙂
See the options are even more, I have given many variations in the notes section, don’t miss it.
Here I have used carrot and bell peppers along with onion and tomato. I also make one more variation of this pasta with paneer, I will share that here too.
Just like with vegetables, you can also use any type of pasta here. I have used organic durum wheat pasta. You can also pasta for specific dietary requirements like gluten free pasta, pasta made with millet quinoa etc,
This is a delicious meal on its won and does not require any side. For kids you can serve with a simple yogurt dip to cut down the spices.
This Masala Pasta Is
Delicious pasta recipe cooked in Indian style
can be made gluten free by just using gluten free pasta
wholesome meal for kids
healthier loaded with vegetables
Gets ready in 20 minutes.
Apart from pasta you need very few ingredients typically used in Indian cooking for this masala pasta recipe indian style.
Any variety of pasta can be used. While making for kids you can use tiny pasta varieties like macroni, ditalini for the ease of eating. You can also penne pasta or mini penne pasta to make masala pasta.
Here I have used farfalle or bow tie pasta made of organic durum wheat. Whichever pasta you use, make sure to cook it al dente according to package instructions. With every brand of pasta, cooking time varies a bit.
The base for this masala pasta recipe is onions and tomatoes. Just like many Indian masala curries, here also we are going to saute onions and tomatoes with spice powders.
You can also add 2 tablespoon tomato sauce for color and flavor.
vegetable are optional but I highly recommend in this recipe. You can add vegetables like carrot, green peas, corn, bell peppers, beans, broccoli in this recipe. To increase the volume and keep this dish more substantial, do not chop the veggies very fine.
Also make sure to blanch green peas and corn if using.
All these spice powders can be added or left out as per taste. You can also vary the proportions. While making for kids, you can add very less red chili powder or leave it out too. Instead add a dash of freshly cracked pepper powder.
Minced ginger garlic, chopped cilantro and some lemon juice.
How To Make Indian Style Pasta?
Here is a quick briefing of recipe for Indian pasta. It gets ready in minutes. The prep time is also very less for this recipe.
First you begin by boiling pasta until al dente.
You have to basically make a masala base by sauteing ginger garlic, onions and tomatoes with spice powders. Next in goes the chopped veggies and cook till they turn soft.
Finally add cooked pasta and toss well. Finish with chopped cilantro leaves and lemon juice. Yummy masala pasta ready! You don’t even need any pasta sauce for this recipe.
Check out the step by step instructions below.
Cooking Pasta For Indian Pasta Recipe
Bring a large pot of water to rolling boil.
Add few drops of oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mix well.
Add the measured pasta and mix well.
Cook until it turns soft with a light bite (al dente) Durum pasta usually gets cooked in 8-12 minutes depending on the size, quantity and brand used.
Once cooked, drain excess water after reserving around 1/4 cup pasta cooked water.
Keep the boiled pasta covered until use.
Making Masala For Pasta
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds. I use peanut oil for this recipe. You can also use light olive oil, avocado oil etc. If using olive oil use the light ones meant for cooking and not extra virgin olive oil.
Next add slit green chili, minced ginger garlic. Saute for a minute. You can also add 1/2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste instead of freshly grated ginger and garlic.
Add chopped onions and saute for 2 minutes.
Now add finely chopped tomatoes. For a super smooth pasta you can blanch and puree the tomatoes but for quick weeknight dinners, I just add chopped tomatoes. Here you can also add 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup for slight sweet taste instead of fresh tomatoes.
You can also add tomato puree.
Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, ground coriander powder, ground cumin. You can also add 1 tablespoon curry powder for more curry flavor. You can also use powdered spices instead.
Mix well and saute for 7-8 minutes or until the tomatoes are well cooked, raw flavor from all the spice powders leave and oil separates from sides. Add chopped vegetables and mix well.
Add salt to taste and cook for another 5-6 minutes or until the vegetables turn soft.
How To Make Masala Pasta
Now once the veggies are well cooked, add boiled pasta. Now add 2-3 tablespoons of pasta cooking water and mix well.
Toss well, add chopped fresh cilantro or coriander leaves and lemon juice. Adjust salt if required. You can even add 1/2 teaspoon roasted finely chopped garlic. I sometimes add 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon unsalted butter. Even a bit of fresh cream will be very good.
Mix well and serve Indian style masala pasta hot. This delicious masala pasta is so good in lunch box too.
Variations With The Recipe
You can use any pulao base like paneer butter or palak paneer pulao and make this pasta. Just use al dente pasta and toss instead of rice in this desi pasta recipe.
You can add a handful of cubed paneer or tofu in masala pasta. Adding paneer is especially a great way to increase protein if you are serving this as main meal.
Sometimes I also add boiled chickpeas in this recipe. You can also add mushrooms.
When making masala pasta for kids you can skip chili powder and add pepper powder also.
Tips For Making Indian Style Masala Pasta
While cooking pasta do add few drops of oil to avoid sticking and breaking of cooked pasta.
You can use any of your favortie Indian spices for this recipe to give your personal touch to this tasty masala pasta recipe.
Adding few tablespoons of pasta cooked water prevents the dish from getting dry and also makes it more tasty. For more creamier and saucy pasta you can add 1/4 cup tomato puree or 2 tablespoons tomato paste too.
You can any of your favorite vegetables like sweet corn, baby corn, green peas in this masala pasta recipe. It will be attractive to kids too. I also add green beans, bell pepper in various colors.
If not vegan, you can use butter to saute the veggies to enhance flavor of this masala pasta recipe Indian style. On the same note you can also add some cream after cooking veggies.
A bit of cashew cream, coconut cream will be good finishes for this recipe.
I hope you will try this indian style masala pasta recipe and enjoy as much as we did. Please give a star rating ★ in the recipe card below. Follow us on Pinterest , Instagram, Facebook for more recipes and ideas
Indian Style Masala Pasta
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 1.5 cups pasta any variety
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 green chillies
- 2 teaspoons ginger garlic paste or minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions chopped fine
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes chopped fine
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro lraves
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Bring a large pot of water to rolling boil.
- Add few drops of oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mix well.
- Add the measured pasta and mix well.
- Once cooked, drain excess water after reserving around 1/4 cup pasta cooked water.Keep covered until use.
Making Masala For Pasta
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds.
- Next add slit green chili, minced ginger garlic. Saute for a minute.
- Add sliced onions and saute for 2 minutes.
- Now add finely chopped tomatoes. For a super smooth pasta you can blanch and puree the tomatoes but for quick weeknight dinners, I just add chopped tomatoes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, ground coriander, ground cumin.
- Mix well and saute for 7-8 minutes or until the tomatoes are well cooked and oil separates from sides. Add chopped vegetables and mix well.
- Add salt to taste and cook for another 5-6 minutes or until the vegetables turn soft.
How To Make Masala Pasta
- Now once the veggies are well cooked, add the cooked pasta. Now add 2-3 tablespoons of pasta cooked water and mix well.
- Toss well, add chopped cilantro or coriander leaves and lemon juice. Adjust salt if required.
- Mix well and serve Indian style masala pasta hot.
- While cooking pasta do add few drops of oil to avoid sticking and breaking of cooked pasta.
- Adding few tablespoons of pasta cooked water prevents the dish from getting dry and also makes it more tasty.
- You can any of your favorite vegetables like corn, peas in this recipe. It will be attractive to kids too.
- If not vegan, you can use butter to saute the veggies to enhance flavor. On the same note you can also add some cream after cooking veggies.
- You can double the recipe.