Last updated on December 7th, 2019
White sauce pasta recipe is an easy pasta recipe made with white sauce and veggies. The white sauce used in this pasta recipe is the French bechamel sauce made with flour, butter and milk. In this white sauce pasta recipe I have not used cheese and made it more hearty by adding veggies. Here is how to make best white sauce pasta with a video!
Pasta cooked al dente slathered in creamy and delicious bachemel sauce further adorned with vegetables is sure a treat for all pasta lovers. At our home we like it really loaded with veggies and piping hot 🙂
I have been making this pasta in white sauce for years and I can confidently say I make one of the best. This comes from after tasting this pasta in many restaurants. My family says they are no where close to what I make at home 🙂
It is no wonder as most of the restaurants serve either overcooked or under cooked pasta with a pasty bland sauce and hardly there are vegetables. Only a few restaurants get the knack.
If you have tasted this pasta in a good restaurant and crave for more, the good news is you can make the best white pasta at home 🙂 With this recipe and a short video below, it is so easy and quick 🙂
This White Sauce Pasta Recipe
So easy, comes together in minutes
Made from scratch at home with recipe for bachamel sauce
So delicious and flavorful, crazy addictive!
Turns out very creamy and rich without any cheese
Loaded with veggies
Way, way kid friendly
Making pasta in white sauce is easy and just takes around 30 minutes. I usually prepare the bachamel sauce and cook the pasta simultaneously and it takes just 20 minutes for me. While I always prefer to make white sauce for pasta fresh, you can easily make it a day ahead or use store bought white sauce too.
Smooth and creamy white sauce, al dente pasta and added veggies to compliment the smoothness of the sauce, what is not to love about this 🙂
The key for making perfect pasta in white sauce is making perfect sauce. Make sure to do the whole preparation in low flame. Use boiled and cooled milk, after adding milk make sure that you keep stirring the sauce until it turns thick and smooth.
This will be delightful lunch or dinner that toddlers and kids will adore especially. You can use whole wheat pasta, but the flour used in white sauce cannot be replaced with wheat. So it is better to eat this in moderation and once in a while.
How To Make Bechamel Sauce Or White Sauce?
White sauce or bechamel sauce is the base for many delicious Italian recipes. This sauce can be made very easily at home with three main ingredients that are flour, butter and milk.
The consistency of bechamel sauce depends on the dish you are making. For this white sauce pasta we need sauce to be of medium thickness.
Heat butter in a thick pan. Do not let it brown. Add the flour and stir continuously till it cooks and turns aromatic.Now very slowly add the boiled and cooled milk, stirring continuously. Maintain low flame. Make sure there no lumps absolutely.Once the flour is well cooked and sauce thickens now salt, pepper powder and nutmeg. Mix well and remove from flame.
If you want to add cheese add grated cheese now and mix well. Do not add cheese while the sauce is cooking.Add once you remove it from flame yet the sauce is still warm.
You can make the bachamel ahead and store airtight in refrigerator.While you need it in the recipes just reheat it either in microwave or stove top whisking continuously.
How To Make White Sauce Pasta
Preparation For White Sauce Pasta
First of all bring plenty of water in a pot to boil. Add pasta along with a drop of oil and cook till done. Drain and reserve the stock. Set aside the boiled pasta.
2. Now to make white sauce, in a pan add 1/2 teaspoon butter. Add the chopped bell pepper, boiled sweet corns, peeled and chopped carrots and saute for few minutes. Remove to a plate.
Making White Sauce Pasta
3. In the same pan add 1 1/2 tablespoons butter and melt it.
4. To the melted butter, add 1 tablespoon madia or all purpose flour.
and whisk very well.
5. Also add 1/4 cup boiled and cooled milk. Keep whisking in low flame.
6. The mixture will start to thicken. At this stage add chilli flakes, pepper powder, oregano and also salt.
7. keep whisking till the white sauce further thickens and turns smooth.
8. Add the sauteed vegetables and mix well.
9. Finally add the boiled pasta to the prepared white sauce.
10. Mix well and add some more dried herbs if needed.
Serve white sauce pasta hot.
Which Veggies Go Well In This Recipe?
We prefer our white sauce pasta with veggies. So I usually sneak in as much as possible. Here, I have added vegetables like different colored bell peppers, sweet corn kernels and carrots. You can also add onions, broccoli florets, baby corns and more. Adding vegetables in pasta is a good idea especially when serving for kids.
Variations With White Sauce Pasta Recipe
To make this white sauce pasta recipe with cheese you can use grated mozzarella or cheddar. Just add the grated cheese while serving and mix well while the pasta is hot. Alternately you can also add some cheese in white sauce and mix well.
You can make 2 tablespoons mayonnaise while making the sauce. It lends a rich and creamy texture. Add mayo towards the end and whisk very well off the flame.
Add minced garlic while making the sauce or along with veggies to elevate the flavor of the dish.
Tips For Making Perfect White Sauce Pasta:
- Make sure the milk used for making white sauce is boiled and thoroughly cooled. This will ensure that the sauce is smooth without lumps.
- Always make white sauce in low flame.
- Roast the flour very well until it turns golden for flavorful white sauce.
- Cook pasta al dente and keep it closed until use. If the pasta turns dry it will soak up the sauce.
If you are looking for more pasta recipes do check:
I hope you will try this white sauce pasta recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
White Sauce Pasta Recipe
White sauce pasta recipe, how to make pasta in white sauce
- 3/4 cup pasta I used penne
- 1 small carrot peeled and chopped fine
- 1/3 cup sweet corn kernels boiled
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped fine
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped fine
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
For white sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon maida/ all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk boiled and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano or basil or thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- Boil the pasta and set aside.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon butter in a pan and saute the chopped vegetables. Remove to a plate.
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in the same pan and add maida/flour. Whisk very well.
- Add boiled milk and mix well. Whisk very well in low flame to avoid lumps.
- Once the sauce starts to thicken, add salt, pepper powder, chilli flakes and dried herbs. Mix well.
- Cook further in low flame till the sauce thickens and turns smooth.
- Add sauteed veggies and mix well.
- Add boiled pasta and mix well.
- Serve white sauce pasta hot.
2. You can add 2 tablespoons grated cheese while preparing white sauce. Or you can serve the topped with grated cheese.
3. You can any dried herb or even mixed pasta spice instead of oregano.