Last updated on July 16th, 2020
Looking for indulgent dinner? Make this red sauce pasta recipe that takes 30 minutes, needs only a handful of ingredients and tastes absolutely delicious. The best part is you can make the red sauce ahead and toss the pasta as required. So easy, quick and yummy! Here is how to make Italian red sauce pasta at home easily!
Pasta is a favorite not only with kids but adults as well. Indulging in a bowl of well made flavorful pasta is really a culinary pleasure. We love pasta recipes at home and I often prepare them.
Making creamy Italian pasta recipes at home is easy and don’t have to be time consuming. For instance this pasta in red sauce takes just 30 minutes from start to finish. The trick is to make the sauce and cook the pasta simultaneously. To speed up the process you can easily make the red sauce well ahead and bottle it.
My daughter loves pasta and for me it is the best way to add more veggies in her diet. I always add a good chunk of veggies in pasta and I have done the same here also.
The base for this pasta is a flavorful red sauce made with tomatoes and seasoned with mixed Italian herbs. It is similar to the marinara sauce. Here I have also added some chopped carrots and bell peppers to the sauce.
This Italian red sauce pasta turns out very close to what you get in big restaurants. It is way more economical to make at home, you can control spice level and load it with veggies.
Serve this delicious pasta in red sauce hot or warm with a side of salad and some fruit for a satiating dinner.
This Italian Red Sauce Pasta Recipe Is
100% homemade from scratch
Easy recipe that takes just 30 minutes.
Tastes authentic and very flavor
Moderately spiced kid friendly.
Vegetarian and can be made vegan
To make red sauce for pasta you can fresh or canned tomatoes. Here I have used fresh blanched tomatoes. If using canned tomatoes you can puree them or just crush for a chunky sauce.
For seasoning the sauce we are using crushed garlic and mixed Italian herbs. You can also use fresh herbs like basil or thyme.
Perfectly cooked pasta is the key for any best tasting pasta dish. You should cook pasta in such a way that is non sticky as well there is a little bite to it. It is known as cooking the pasta al dente.
You can make this pasta with or without veggies. I have added veggies to the sauce but made the plain this time. If you would like to add vegetables, I have included instructions below.
How To Make Italian Red Sauce
To make red sauce begin by blanching the tomatoes. Bring a bit pot of water to rolling boil. Add the whole tomatoes and blanch for 3-4 minutes. Drain excess water and puree the tomatoes. You can also simply crush the tomatoes for a chunky sauce. If using canned tomatoes you can add them directly.
Heat some olive oil in a sauce pan. Add minced ginger, chopped carrots, onions, capsicums. Saute well for 3-4 minutes. Add the tomato puree and ix well. Simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the puree thickens. Season with salt, pepper powder, dried herbs and bit of sugar. Mix well and simmer for 5 more minutes. Let the sauce cool thoroughly before storing.
How Can I Make This Red Sauce Healthier?
Sometimes I add steamed and pureed bees or carrots while making the sauce. Use half the amount of tomatoes and steamed carrot or beetroots. You can also add red pepper. Saute it in olive oil a bit and puree along with tomatoes.
How to make red sauce pasta
1. Bring plenty of water to boil in a pot. Add the pasta and cook al dente. Drain the cooked pasta and reserve the stock.
2. Blanch 3 large tomatoes.
3. Peel and puree the tomatoes. You can make a smooth puree or leave some small chunks of tomatoes.
4. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a pan. Add chopped onions, capsicum and carrots. Saute till they turn soft.
5. Add the pureed tomatoes and mix well. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Add 1/3 cup pasta cooked water and mix well. Cook further for 2 minutes.
6. Add salt, pepper powder, chili flakes and sugar. Mix well. Add dried herbs and mix well.
6. Cook till the sauce turns thick and smooth.
7. Add cooked pasta and mix well. Top with grated cheese and serve red sauce pasta hot.
Red Sauce Pasta Variations
With veggies – Add 1 cup chopped mixed vegetables like cubed carrots, bell peppers, onions, corn for this recipe. You can steam or sauce the veggies in a bit of oil or butter and toss along with pasta in the sauce. Also you can roast the veggies in oven and add. You can also add mushrooms here.
With cheese– As I have done here a small amount of cheese elevates the taste and feel of this pasta. I have added fresh mozzarella here but you can also add parmesan.
With Cream- You can also add 2-3 tablespoons fresh cream along with sauce. It makes this pasta very rich and tasty. Instead of cream you can also add mayonnaise in red sauce pasta.
With wine– When preparing for adults and if you consume wine you can add red or white wine as required. You can also add a bit of vinegar for flavor.
Some Tips For Cooking Pasta
To make a creamy and smooth pasta in red sauce that doesn’t turn dry after some time you need to add about 1/2 of pasta cooked water to the sauce.
The addition pasta cooked water ensures that the pasta remains fresh and smooth even after cooling.
Use ripe and plump tomatoes for sauce with sweet notes.
You can use penne, fusilli or shell or spaghetti in this recipe.
Vegans can just leave out cheese or use vegan cheese in this recipe
This pasta in red sauce is a very flavorful and delicious dish, when made with whole heat pasta, this will be a very good indulgent meal, you can even pack it in tiffin.
You Might Also Like
corn pasta recipes.
I hope you will try this red sauce pasta recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
Pasta In Red Sauce Recipe
Pasta in red sauce recipe | Red sauce pasta recipe
- 1 cup pasta
- 3 large tomatoes blanched and pureed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped bell peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoons pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried herbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Cook and drain pasta, reserving the stock.
- Blanch,peel and puree the tomatoes.
- Heat a pan with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add the finely chopped vegetables and saute till they turn soft.
- Add pureed tomatoes and mix well.
- Add 1/3 cup reserved pasta stock and mix well.
- Add salt, chilli flakes, dried herbs and salt. Mix well and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add sugar and cook till the sauce thickens.
- Add pasta and mix well.
- Serve pasta in red sauce hot with grated cheese.
2. You can grind 1/2 boiled carrot along with blanched tomatoes.