Last updated on March 7th, 2018
Red sauce pasta recipe- tasty and flavorful pasta in red sauce recipe that is perfect as after school snack or dinner for kids!
Red sauce pasta is a classic Italian pasta recipe where pasta cooked al dente is tossed in flavorful tomato sauce. The red sauce is traditionally made with canned tomatoes.
How to make red sauce for pasta:
To make best red sauce choose red ripe tomatoes. You first blanch the tomatoes, peel and puree the tomatoes. You can even crush the tomatoes for a chunky sauce. The pureed tomatoes are further in simmered with seasoning and reduced to a thicker consistency.
This red sauce for pasta can be made in many ways by varying the seasoning. Here I have added dried Italian herbs, chilli flakes and pepper powder. You can add dried oregano or rosemary too. You can also add fresh or dried basil like in marinara sauce.
I have also added some finely chopped vegetables in this sauce. Though it is optional I recommend adding vegetables especially if you are making this pasta in red sauce for kids. Kids will love saucy pasta recipes and you can easily sneak in vegetables here. If you also add some grated cheese then you have true winner there 🙂 I also sneak in vegetables in this white sauce pasta.
This pasta in red sauce is a very flavorful and delicious dish, when made with whole heat pasta, this will be a very good indulgent meal, you can even pack it in tiffin.
To make a creamy and smooth pasta in red sauce that doesn’t turn dry after some time you need to add about 1/4-1/3 cup of pasta cooked water. The addition pasta cooked water ensures that the pasta remains fresh and smooth even after cooling.In this red sauce pasta recipe, I have topped the pasta with grated cheese, you can leave out the cheese if you do not want.
How to make red sauce pasta
1. Bring plenty of water to boil in a pot. Add the pasta and cook till soft. Drain the cooked pasta and reserve the stock.
2. Blanch 3 large tomatoes. peel and puree the tomatoes. You can make a smooth puree or leave some small chunks of tomatoes.
3. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a pan. Add chopped onions, capsicum and carrots. Saute till they turn soft.
4. Add the pureed tomatoes and mix well. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Add 1/3 cup pasta cooked water and mix well. Cook further for 2 minutes.
5. Add salt, pepper powder, chilli flakes and sugar. Mix well. Add dried herbs and mix well.
6. Cook till the sauce turns thick and smooth.
7. Add cooked pasta and mix well. Top with grated cheese and serve red sauce pasta hot.
Vegans can just leave out cheese or use vegan cheese in this recipe
Pasta in red sauce recipe card below:
- 1 cup pasta
- 3 large tomatoes blanched and pureed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped bell peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoons pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried herbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Cook and drain pasta, reserving the stock.
- Blanch,peel and puree the tomatoes.
- Heat a pan with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add the finely chopped vegetables and saute till they turn soft.
- Add pureed tomatoes and mix well.
- Add 1/3 cup reserved pasta stock and mix well.
- Add salt, chilli flakes, dried herbs and salt. Mix well and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add sugar and cook till the sauce thickens.
- Add pasta and mix well.
- Serve pasta in red sauce hot with grated cheese.
1. Adding cheese is optional.
2. You can grind 1/2 boiled carrot along with blanched tomatoes.