Potato sandwich or aloo sandwich is a quick, delicious and easy to make breakfast or snack recipe that toddlers and kids will love. It is a vegan recipe, I have used vegan butter and can be made within 30 minutes. You can easily use any leftover potato curry and make this sandwich in 10 minutes!
This sandwich is a crowd favorite and very popular in cafes, bistros and fast food joints. It is prepared in many ways and here I am sharing the easiest method I follow with some tips and variations.
Potato sandwich recipe can be made for breakfast or snack. You can serve aloo sandwich with milkshake for toddlers and kids and you can serve with coffee for adults. This is a super hit in our family.
About This Recipe
Potato sandwich is a quick Indian sandwich recipe where the stuffing is a simple aloo curry with minimum spices. The masala used is a real quick recipe, no onion garlic, not even green chilies or ginger is needed for this filling.
The ingredients used for potato sandwich recipe as super simple pantry staple ones only.
This is a cooked sandwich recipe. I mean the filling used for this aloo sandwich recipe is a simple potato peas masala.
This is however my way of making potato sandwich recipe, you can add onions or ginger garlic paste or even carrots in this filling.
You can make the stuffing well ahead and refrigerate. It stays good for 2 days. You can also use any leftover dry potato sabzi or curry for this sandwich. Do check variations and tips for more ideas.
To make potato sandwich you can use white bread or wheat bread or multigrain bread. I have used white bread in this recipe. When serving for toddlers and kids you can use butter to toast the sandwich otherwise you can use oil or even dry roast the filed sandwich.
Here I have used my sandwich maker to toast the sandwich. You can use a sandwich maker, grill if you have one or toast the sandwich in a hot tava.
Serve potato sandwich hot immediately or you can even cool it slightly and pack in a tiffin. It will stay good and crispy.
If you are looking for easy potato recipes for toddlers and kids do check potato lollipop, bread rolls, chilli potato, aloo tikki , batata vada. Do try out this easy aloo sandwich recipe with step by step photos and enjoy! It is
Super easy to make
Quick breakfast or snack
always a hit with toddlers and kids
very delicious, filling & flavorful
How To Make Potato Sandwich
Preparing the aloo masala filling.
1. Rinse and scrub 2 large potatoes or 400 grams of potatoes well. Cut them into half and boil or steam or cook in an instant pot until they are completely cooked and soft.
Steam- for 10 minutes
Pressure cook- for 3 whistles
Instant pot- 6 minutes in pressure cooker or manual mode with pressure valve in seal position.
Along with potatoes also cook 1/2 cup shelled green peas if using.
Once done, peel and mash the boiled potatoes well. Set aside the mashed potato.
2. Heat a pan and add 2 teaspoons oil. Add 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds and let it crackle.
3. Add peas and saute well for few minutes.
4. Add mashed potatoes and mix well. Add salt, turmeric powder, chaat masala powder, red chili powder and pepper powder. Saute and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add few drops of lemon juice. Mix well and switch off the flame. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
Making Aloo Sandwich
5.Take 4 bread slices and remove the edges.
6. Apply little oil or butter on all the slices.
7. Place 2-3 tablespoons of prepared potato filling on one slice and close with other slice. Repeat the same with 2 more bread slices.
8. Place the prepared bread on a preheated sandwich maker and toast till the sandwich turns crisp. You can alternately toast in a hot tava too. First toast until the base turns crispy and golden. Then flip and toast the other side.
9. Serve potato sandwich hot or cool slightly and pack in a tiffin.
Tips & Variations
Potato cheese sandwich– After placing the potato filling you can place cheese slice or 1 tablespoon grated mozzarella cheese and close with another bread. Toast until the cheese melts. You can use ay variety of grated cheese like cheddar cheese too.
Use chutney as spread– After applying oil or butter to a bread slice spread 1 tablespoon green chutney or garlic chutney and place the potato masala.
With mayonnaise or cream cheese- You can also use mayonnaise as spread.
Vegetable potato sandwich– After placing the potato mixture place a thinly sliced tomato, cucumber and onion. Close with another slice of bread and toast.
Flavor variations– While making the aloo masala you can add 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala or chaat masala powder.
Aloo paneer sandwich– Instead of the given potato masala you can use this aloo paneer as filling and make the sandwich.
Are you making this recipe? I would love to see a snap of your creation too. Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou and please give a star rating ★ in the recipe card above. Follow us on Pinterest , Instagram, Facebook for more recipes and ideas.
Potato Sandwich (Aloo Sandwich)
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 6 bread slices
- 2 teaspoons oil or butter
For potato filling
- 400 grams potatoes boiled,peeled and mashed.
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chaat masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons oil
To make potato filling:
- Boil,peel and mash the potato well.
- Heat a pan and add 2 teaspoons oil.
- Add cumin seeds and let them crackle. Add peas and mix well. Saute for few minutes
- Add mashed potato, salt and all the spice powders, Mix well and cook for 4 minutes.
To Make Sandwich
- Take the bread slices and trim the edges. Apply oil or butter on the bread slices
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of prepared potato filling on one bread slice. Cover with another slice.
- Toast the in a sandwich maker or tava until crisp. Serve potato sandwich hot or pack in tiffin
2. You can add ginger garlic in the filling.