Apple chutney recipe is that perfect condiment you can prepare to make apples last longer! With the best of season’s apples, few spices and some brown sugar this spiced apple jam is so good that you will eat by spoonfuls. Here is how you can make easy apple chutney recipe (step by step)
Homemade condiments are my favorite and I prefer to use local seasonal ingredients to make preserves, jams and chutneys. Very few ingredients, no preservatives and clean flavors are what I aim at when making homemade condiments.
I have added easy jam recipes like strawberry jam, mango jam, fig jam recipes. You might also like to check out pineapple chutney, chili garlic sauce, shcezwan sauce.
This apple chutney or apple jam is one such delicious and flavorful condiment that I make during apple season.
Sweet and red ripe organic apples combine with brown sugar in this recipe and a gentle touch of spices only adds to the taste and flavor.
If you love sweet and spicy condiments with BBQ veggies or grilled dishes, this easy apple chutney is for you. It gets ready in minutes, vegan and gluten free too!
What is Apple Chutney?
Apple chutney is sweet and spicy relish or sauce or spread made with ripe apples and few optional spices. I like to use a mix of cumin powder, cinnamon powder and cardamom powder for flavor.
You can totally play with the spices, sweetener in this recipe to vary the flavor. As we are not using any preservative except lemon juice, keep this chutney refrigerated and use within 8-10 days.
I prefer to use ripe sweet Kashmir apples for this recipe. Kashmir apples are soft and cook very easily, most suited for this recipe.
While you can use any variety of apple like red delicious, granny smith or fuji, make sure they are ripe and sweet. Also adjust sweetener accordingly.
This Apple Chutney Recipe Is
Quick, easy and simple to make
delicious and flavorful
made with fresh ripe apples
flavored with whole spices
vegan and gluten free
tastes with great with BBQ and grilled dishes, toasts
How To Prepare Apple Chutney?
To make apple chutney first of all core and peel the apples. You can keep the peel if you prefer that way. Next finely chop the apples.
Now combine sugar and apples in thick sauce pan. Mix and cook for 10-12 minutes in medium flame. Add lemon juice and spice powders, mix well and cook till mixture leaves the sides of the pan. You can add 1 teaspoon butter along with the other ingredients for flavor.
Cool thoroughly and store in a clean dry jar.
How Long Does This Homemade Chutney Last?
We are not using any preservative in this apple chutney recipe. So you have to keep this chutney refrigerated and it keeps well for 8-12 days.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Use good quality fresh apples for best tasting chutney.
- I have used light brown sugar here. You can use regular sugar or eve powdered jaggery.
- Instead of lemon juice you can use 2 tablespoons apple cider or regular vinegar.
- Always use clean dry jar to store the jams
You might also like
Step By Step Method.
1. Peel, core and finely chop the apples
2. Combine apples and sugar in a pan.
Mix well and cook covered for 10-12 minutes in medium flame.
Uncover, add salt, spice powders and lemon juice. Mix well and cook for 7-8 more minutes.
4. The chutney is done when it leaves the sides of pan and thickened well. Let cool and store in a clean dry jar.
Serve apple chutney as required.
I hope you will try this easy apple chutney recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 2 cups chopped apples peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamom powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or lime juice or vinegar
- Peel, core and finely chop the apples
- Combine apples and sugar in a pan. Mix well and cook covered for 10-12 minutes in medium flame
- Uncover, add salt, spice powders and lemon juice. Mix well and cook for 7-8 more minutes.
- The chutney is done when it leaves the sides of pan and thickened well. Let cool and store in a clean dry jar. Serve apple chutney as required.
oh wow this apple chutney looks so yummy and tempting. I am trying it for sure.
Made this and it was lovely. Cut the chili flakes in half and it was fantastic. Very tasty. Served it with pork tenderloin.