Last updated on April 22nd, 2020
Apple chutney recipe is that perfect condiment you can prepare to make apples last longer! With the best of season’s apples, few spices and some brown sugar this spiced apple jam is so good that you will eat by spoonfuls. Here is how you can make easy apple chutney recipe (step by step)
Homemade condiments are my choice and I prefer to use local seasonal ingredients to make preserves, jams and chutneys. Very few ingredients, no preservatives and clean flavors are what aim at when making homemade condiments.
This apple chutney or apple jam is one such delicious and flavorful condiment that I make during apple season. Sweet and red ripe organic apples combine with brown sugar in this recipe and a gentle touch of spices only adds to the taste and flavor.
What is Apple Chutney?
Apple chutney is sweet and spicy sauce or spread made with ripe apples and few optional spices. I like to use a mix of cumin powder, cinnamon powder and cardamom powder for flavor.
You can totally play with the spices, sweetener in this recipe to vary the flavor. As we are not using any preservative except lemon juice, keep this chutney refrigerated and use within 8-10 days.
Serve apple chutney as spread with toast or with dosa, roti for toddlers and kids.
How To Prepare Apple Chutney?
To make apple chutney first of all core and peel the apples. You can keep the peel if you prefer tat way. Next finely chop the apples.
Now combine sugar and apples in thick sauce pan. Mix and cook for 10-12 minutes in medium flame. Add lemon juice and spice powders, mix well and cook till mixture leaves the sides of the pan. You can add 1 teaspoon butter along with the other ingredients for flavor.
Cool thoroughly and store in a clean dry jar.
Recipe Notes and Tips For Best Apple Chutney
Use good quality fresh apples for best tasting chutney.
I have used light brown sugar here. You can use regular sugar or eve powdered jaggery.
Instead of lemon juice you can use 2 tablespoons apple cider or regular vinegar.
Always use clean dry jar to store the jams
You might also like
How To Make Apple Chutney Step by Step
1. Peel, core and finely chop the apples
2. Combine apples and sugar in a pan. Mix well and cook covered for 10-12 minutes in medium flame.
3. Uncover, add salt, spice powders and lemon juice. Mix well and cook for 7-8 more minutes.
4. The chutney is done when it leaves the sides of pan and thickened well. Let cool and store in a clean dry jar. Serve as required.
Apple Chutney Recipe
Spiced Apple Chutney Recipe
- 2 cups chopped apples peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamom powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or lime juice or vinegar
- Peel, core and finely chop the apples
- Combine apples and sugar in a pan. Mix well and cook covered for 10-12 minutes in medium flame
- Uncover, add salt, spice powders and lemon juice. Mix well and cook for 7-8 more minutes.
- The chutney is done when it leaves the sides of pan and thickened well. Let cool and store in a clean dry jar. Serve apple chutney as required.