Last updated on August 6th, 2019
Sweet lassi anyone? What could be more cooling and refreshing than a tall glass of lassi on a summer afternoon? This sweet lassi recipe tastes just like the ones from Punjabi Dhaba, so thick, rich, yummy and delightful! Perfect dessert to end a lavish Indian meal!
Yogurt based drinks and desserts are very popular across India. You will find a yogurt based drink in all regions like lassi, chass, neer more, mishti doi, shrikand to name a few.
Lassi is a very delicious, healthy and refreshing Indian summer beverage with full fat thick yogurt. You can make numerous variations with this beverage like sweet, salted or infusing fruits. I love my chilled tall glass of lassi whether it is summer or not. I love the thick and creamy ones with a good dose of nuts and saffron on top.
Lassi is very popular in all Indian restaurants inside and outside India. Of all the varieties available mango and kesar are the top favorite. In Punjabi and Punjabi dhabas lassi is served very thick in tall glass topped with a big blob of white butter and a spoon 🙂 This drink tastes good after a paratha.
So What Do You Need To Make Lassi?
You need fresh and thick curd or yogurt to make a basic lassi. I always prefer to use homemade plain curd. You just need thick curd and not hung or greek yogurt.
The yogurt or curd is churned very well until frothy first. You then add the sweetener, flavorings and churn again. Finally pour the prepared beverage into a tall glass and serve immediately with desired toppings. Here is a break down of ingredients used.
- Curd– Plain yogurt that is thick and fresh. Do not use sour or diluted curd as it will spoil the taste of the drink. Also make sure to use non flavored yogurt if using store bought.
- Milk– You can add a splash of milk to cut the sourness of curd. It is optinal
- Sweetener– Any sweetener as you like ranging from white sugar to cane sugar to honey. We prefer our lassi to be on the sweeter side as it tastes really yum. You can easily use how much ever sugar you prefer.
- Flavor– Spices like cardamom or saffron or rose water adds the much needed flavor. As a different take you can also add vanilla, almond extracts. On that note you can also cocoa powder to make chocolate lassi.
- Toppings– Usually lassi is topped with white butter or fresh malai. For some folks it becomes really heavy and rich. So you can use chopped nuts and dry fruits too as topping.
That’s it. I don’t add whipped cream or fresh cream as it totally varies the flavor and taste.While Adding malai or the thick cream obtained.
How To Churn The Curd For Lassi?
Traditionally a wooden hand churner known as mathu (Tamil) or mathani (Hindi) is used to churn the yogurt. You will find this in all Indian homes. We use it to churn buttermilk to obtain butter. If you don’t have wooden churner you can easily use hand blender or mixer grinder. You can also add some ice cubes while churning but it will dilute the drink. If you use chilled yogurt, then ice cubes are not necessary.
Serve lassi in tall copper tumbler or earthen pot for best taste and flavor 🙂 Always serve as soon as you make it.
This Punjabi Sweet Lassi Is
Cooling, healthy and refreshing
easy to make with simple ingredients
No cook, beginner and kids friendly
Flavorful, rich and delicious
So here is how to make best sweet lassi with step wise pics for your easy reference. Make this today and enjoy as an after meal dessert or snack! You will love the taste and flavor of this humble yummy drink.
How To Make Sweet Lassi Step by Step
Soak 10 strands of saffron in 2 tablespoons warm milk.
Take fresh chilled curd in a mixing bowl.
Use a wooden churner or hand blender or balloon whisk, whisk until creamy and frothy.
Add sugar, saffron milk, cardamom powder and churn very well until the sugar dissolves.
Finally add 1/2 cup milk, mix well.
Transfer lassi to a tall serving glass and top with chopped roasted nuts as required. Serve immediately.
Tips For Making Best Lassi
Quality of Curd– I cannot emphasis enough on this, use fresh and thick curd that is not even slightly sour. The curd should be very thick and creamy. Do not dilute it with water.
To Add Milk or Not– I personally like to add a bit of milk to balance the flavors. It prevents the lassi from getting sour.
Churning the lassi- It is very important to churn the curd very well until creamy and frothy. If the curd is not well churned there will be bits of it in the drink and it will taste good.
Serving– Always serve lassi as soo as you make. Do not store for more than hour that too in the refrigerator.
I hope you will try this easy lassi recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
More Drink Recipes From The Blog!
Sweet Lassi Recipe
Sweet Lassi Recipe
- 10 saffron strands soaked in 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups Yogurt fresh, chilled, thick
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- Soak 10 strands of saffron in 2 tablespoons warm milk.
- Take fresh chilled curd in a mixing bowl. Use a wooden churner or hand blender or balloon whisk, whisk until creamy and frothy.
- Add sugar, saffron milk, cardamom powder and churn very well until the sugar dissolves.
- Finally add 1/2 cup milk, mix well.
- Transfer lassi to a tall serving glass and top with chopped roasted nuts as required. Serve immediately.