Rich mango lassi with season’s best sweet mangoes, sugar and flavored with cardamom, saffron!
Thick, creamy and yummy, enjoy this quintessential Indian summer drink with king of fruits! All you need are three main ingredients, flavors and garnish of your choice to make this yummy soothing drink. Wanna avoid dairy? I have also included notes for making this mango lassi vegan, do check out!
During summers, all we want are cooling drinks and desserts to keep the heat at bay. Indian summer is no joke. Apart from making you extremely uncomfortable, you will also be dehydrated very easily.
So it is very important to drink loads of water, yes you have to make that conscious effort to maintain hydration.
Instead of consuming sugar loaded store bought colas and cold drinks, we prefer homemade beverages like fruit punch, fresh pineapple juice, mint lemonade, rose lemonade etc. We go through pitchers and pitchers of panakam too.
However uncomfortable it may be, summer also means mangoes 🙂 I can literally live on mangoes during season. Apart from having as such we make delicious treats like mango ice cream, smoothie, falooda, mastini, cheese cake and many more yummy mango recipes.
But if you have to choose one mango treat that will bring a smile on everyone’s face it will be this mango lassi 🙂
What Is Mango lassi?
Lassi is a delicious creamy thick drink with yogurt. it may be sweet or salty. Traditionally lassi is made just with yogurt and sugar. Sweet lassis are sometimes made with fruits in season.
Coming to mango lassi, it is a super thick, creamy dessert drink with sweet ripe mangoes blended with thick fresh yogurt and sugar. You can top this drink with slivered pistachios, saffron or finely chopped fresh mangoes.
This mango lassi is a very popular drink not only in India but also in USA and other countries.
If you are outside India and don’t have access to excellent mangoes you can use tinned mango pulp. If you are using sweetened pulp make sure to add less sugar.
Now there are many variations with this recipe. You can make mango lassi with
- only mango, sugar and yogurt
- A splash of milk along with yogurt if you do not want your lassi too tangy
- to make this even rich you can add some fresh or whipped cream
- another interesting choice is to add 1-2 tablespoons condensed milk
There are plenty of ways for you to flavor this drink.
Here I have used cardamom powder and saffron. Few more options are
- Rose essence or rose water
- kewra extract
- vanilla works so well in this drink
This drink is an excellent one for toddlers and kids. Mango is a very healthy and nutritious but increases body heat. While serving for kids it is good idea to combine it with yogurt as lassi or milk as milkshake or this mango milk.
During summer whenever I make Punjabi fare like butter naan, paneer masala and all, this lassi also adds to the menu without fail 🙂
As I said above there are many variations with this recipe. I always add a bit of fresh cream and milk in my lassi along with yogurt.
The best mango lassi I tastes was in a Punjabi restaurant in Bangalore. I still remember the taste lingering 🙂 Ice cold, thick and rich, not overly tangy at all with generous touch of cardamom and saffron. This recipe comes so close 🙂
Do follow this recipe and prepare this excellent drink with king of fruits. I am sure you will love this recipe as much as we do 🙂
This Mango Lassi Recipe Is
Creamy, rich & thick
So easy to make, almost effortless
Vegetarian & gluten free
Can be easily made vegan
Healthy & wholesome summer drink.
How To Make Mango lassi
1. Peel and chop the mangoes roughly.
2. Add sugar to the chopped mangoes. Blend thoroughly.
3. Add curd, fresh cream and bled well. Add cardamom powder and blend again.
4. Serve immediately.
Can I Make Vegan Mango Lassi
Absolutely you can make this drink vegan. Just use any non dairy yogurt. You can use coconut milk yogurt for a very tropical flavor, tough the taste of coconut will over power.
Almond milk yogurt will taste good without overpowering.
Few Notes & Tips
The color of your mango lassi will totally depend on the variety of mangoes you use. To get a vibrant yellow colored drink use alphonso or kesar mangoes.
Use mangoes that are ripe, sweet and less fibrous. If the mangoes are not very sweet you will ahve to add more sugar
Instead of sugar you can add honey
For extra chilled drink you can add few ice cube but that will also thin down the drink. I suggest using chilled curd and fruit.
Use fresh yogurt for this recipe. Sour curd will totally spoil the taste.
Mango Lassi Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups mango pulp Use tinned of fresh pulp is not available
- 2 cups fresh yogurt use non dairy yogurt for vegan option
- 4 tablespoons fresh cream optional
- Sugar to taste
- Peel and chop the mangoes roughly.
- Add sugar to the chopped mangoes. Blend throughly
- Add curd, fresh cream and bled well. Add cardamom powder and blend again. Serve mango lassi immediately
- Mangoes- use fresh ripe and sweet mangoes for best results. If fresh mangoes are not available use tinned pulp. Use less fibrous mangoes with smooth pulp.
- Sweetener- You can any sweetener of your choice instead of sugar. You can use coconut sugar, maple, honey etc.
- Consistency- The recipe as such yields thick mango lassi. You can use 1/2 cup milk or water to thin it down a bit. You can also ice cubes for the same purpose
- Vegan Option- Use dairy free yogurt and milk for vegan lassi.
- You can double or halve the recipe.