Rose milk recipe with video and step by step photos. Rose milk is the most favorite Indian summer drink now and then. Chilled milk flavored with aromatic rose syrup and finally served with loads of ice cubes-the best!
This rose milk brings back so many sweet memories. while growing up this was the only exotic drink we had access to 🙂 Especially during summer holidays we use drink up loads and loads of this refreshing drink skipping the regular hot milk.
Indian rose milk is a flavored drink made with chilled milk and rose syrup. The rose syrup is usually mixture of sugar, rose water and good quality edible rose petals. My mom used to prepare this rose syrup every year so that we can have this drink as often as we wanted.
You can easily prepare rose syrup for rose milk at home. I am sharing a quick recipe below if you want to try at home. This is my mom’s recipe that she has tried and tested for years.
How to make rose syrup for rose milk:
1. Pick and clean 3 cups of tightly packed pink rose petals (country variety, preferably organic) very well.
2. Soak the cleaned rose petals in 10 cups of water for 12 hours.
3. After 12 hours heat the mixture gently. Add 2 teaspoons edible rose water, few drops of pink red food color, 6 cups sugar and mix well.
4. Simmer till the mixture reaches syrupy consistency. Strain and cool thoroughly. My mom usually stores this in fridge as there are no preservatives. Use clean dry spoon always.
5. Apart from using in this drink you can use this rose syrup in rose lassi, royal falooda, popsicle, ice creams, to drizzle on top of fruit salads. I also use a small amount of rose syrup while making fruit custard.
This rose milk recipe I am sharing now however uses store bought syrup. I get very good quality organic syrup so I usually do not prepare rose syrup at home. You can use any type of rose syrup to make this drink. You can also use rooh afza but the flavor will be different from traditional rose milk.
As a thumb rule always serve rose milk extra cold with ice cubes 🙂 I prefer it on a slightly sweeter side. There are many variations you can do in this recipe.
Variations and tips for rose milk recipe.
- You can add soaked and drained sabja seeds while serving.
- To make it more rich you can serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Always use full fat milk for this drink.
- I have seen in some shops adding khova in this drink.
You can make the drink ahead of time and refrigerate till serving. However add ice cubes just while serving else the drink will get diluted.
More summer drinks:
How to make rose milk recipe video:
How to make rose milk recipe (step by step)
1. First of all bring the whole milk to a boil. Let it cool a bit and then refrigerate for an hour or two.
2. Add rose syrup to the chilled milk and mix well.
3. Add ice cubes and serve.
Rose milk recipe card below:
Rose milk- The most popular and favorite Indian summer drink.
- 1 cup milk boiled and chilled
- 3 tablespoons rose syrup
- ice cubes for serving
- First of all bring the whole milk to a boil. Let it cool a bit and then refrigerate for an hour or two.
- Add rose syrup to the chilled milk and mix well.
- Add ice cubes and serve.