Coconut rice also known as thengai sadham in Tamil is a traditional rice recipe from south India. Many south Indian foods use fresh coconut and this coconut rice is popular one among them. Thengai sadham is traditionally made during pongal, navratri, aadi perukku festivals. Also it is one of the very quick and easy rice recipe you can make during busy days. Here is how to make best coconut rice at home!
What is your favorite variety rice? Mine is undoubtedly this flavorful and delicious coconut rice that too if there is aviyal to go with it, yum! Being one of the easiest variety rice to make, this recipe is perfect to make on a busy weekday, tastes good at room temperature and you can make this for a crowd in no time.
All you need to make this coconut rice are cooked and cooled rice, grated coconut and regular tempering ingredients used in south Indian cooking. If you have leftover rice you can very well use it to make this thengai sadham.
There are many minor variations with this recipe. In some homes only green chilies are used whereas we use both green chilies and dried red chilies for flavor. I like to use the lentils generously for tempering as they add to the texture. On the same note, I add a good dose of cashes and curry leaves. All these add-on ingredients make this thengai sadham more flavorful and tasty.
Do note that this coconut rice it does not keep well for long time. You can store this rice for maximum 6 hours and in tropical climate even less. So I will not suggest this rice for packing in lunch.
South Indian Coconut Rice Recipe
Vegan, gluten free and clean
Delicious and flavorful
Can be made with leftover rice
Quick to prepare, just 15 minutes.
To make coconut rice freshly grated coconut works best. If you re using frozen ones, thaw it and make sure they are soft. Also do not use sweetened coconut flakes for this rice.
Next basmati rice is not used for making coconut rice. We make this rice only with regular raw rice In fact none of the south Indian rice recipes like lemon rice, tomato rice calls for basmati rice.
Prepping The Rice For Thengai Sadham
If you have leftover cold rice, you can use it directly provided the grains are separate and not broken. While cooking the rice freshly for this recipe follow the instructions below
- pick and rinse the rice grains thoroughly.
- soak the grains in water for 20 minutes, rinse and remove the excess starch
- Add 2.5 cups water for 1 cup rice and cook the rice (Pressure cooker)
- Once the rice is cooked, transfer it to a wide plate, gently fluff it and add 1 teaspoon oil
- Cool the cooked rice thoroughly before adding to the sauteed coconut.
The above method of preparing the rice can be used for making any variety rice like masala rice, pepper rice, coriander rice.
How To Make Coconut Rice Step by Step
1. Cook and cool the rice completely. Add 1 teaspoon oil to the cooked rice and mix well.
2. Soak urad dal and chana dal in water for 10 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Temper with mustard seeds, slit green chilies, dried red chilies and curry leaves.
4. Drain the soaked dals and add to the tempering. Add broken cashews and add them too. Saute till the dals and cashews turn golden.
5. Add grated coconut and mix well. Saute till the coconut turns slightly golden. Season with salt.
6. Add the coconut mixture to the cooled rice.
7. Mix well yet gently without breaking the rice
8. Serve coconut rice with papad or aviyal.
Some Variations You Can Make
- You can add some grated carrot while sauteing coconut.
- Fry 2 urad dal papad and crush them well. Add to the coconut rice just before serving. Serve immediately.
- You can add chopped capsicum instead of green chilies while making coconut rice for toddlers and kids.
Coconut is extensively used in Tamil recipes for its health benefits. Apart from this simple coconut rice recipe we also make coconut chutney,coconut milk pulao, sodhi, dosa, add coconut in korma recipes. Homemade sweetened coconut milk is also served as side dish for appam.
More Rice Recipes From The Blog!
I hope you will try this easy coconut rice recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
Coconut Rice Recipe
Coconut rice recipe | Thengai sadham recipe
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 2 cup cooked and cooled rice
- 1.25 cups freshly grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons urad dal
- 1 tablespoon chana dal
- 10 cashews broken
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 green chilies slit
- 2 dried red chilies
- Salt to taste
- Cook and cool the rice completely. Add 1 teaspoon oil to the cooked rice and mix well.
- Soak urad dal and chana dal in water for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Temper with mustard seeds, slit green chilies, dried red chilies and curry leaves.
- Drain the soaked dals and add to the tempering. Add broken cashews and add them too. Saute till the dals and cashews turn golden.
- Add grated coconut and mix well. Saute till the coconut turns slightly golden.
- Add the coconut mixture to the cooled rice and mix gently. Serve coconut rice with papad or aviyal.