Raw banana fry recipe also known as vazhakkai fry is one of the easiest raw banana recipes from Tamil recipes. This mildly spiced crispy raw banana fry or plantain fry with less oil goes very well with all south Indian rice varieties.
The delicious raw banana fry recipe with step by step photos shared here is vegan, no onion garlic recipe It is a very crispy and spicy vqazhakkai fry that goes perfectly well with rice, sambar. This is a traditional recipe from tamil cuisine and very popular one too.
Raw banana is very widely used in Tamil recipes. Raw banana chips, podimas, poriyal, kootu are few favorite raw banana recipes from Tamil recipes.
Some more popular raw banana recipes that I often make are raw banana cutlets, kofta curry, curry, varuval recipes. This raw fry is our all time favorite dish with raw banana. Raw bananas are very nutritious and wholesome so we do include it in our diet often.
There are many ways to make this vazhakkai fry recipe. In this easy and crispy raw banana fry recipe, raw banana is cut into thin rounds, tossed with salt and spice powders, then cooked in low flame till golden and crispy, so tasty, addictive and will be a hit with toddlers and kids especially.
This recipe does not require much oil at all, with very less oil you can make crispy raw banana fry, just make sure to cook in lowest flame and stir occasionally. This easy vazhakkai fry recipe is from my mom that we grew up eating.
To make raw banana fry recipe, firm and unripe bananas are needed. Spice powders used are turmeric powder, asafoetida, chilli powder. Adding 1/2 teaspoon oil to marinate helps in binding the spices and also makes the fry very crispy. If you prefer you can add 1-2 tablespoons water instead of oil in the marination.
Serve raw banana fry, hot with any sambar, kuzhambu or rasam along with steamed rice.
More side dish recipes for rice:
How to make raw banana fry (vazhakkai fry recipe)
1. Select firm raw bananas and peel the skin.
2. Slice into thin rounds.
3. Take the cut raw banana in a mixing bowl. Add salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, oil and toss well. Set aside for 15 minutes.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Temper with mustard seeds, urad dal. Add curry leaves and saute well.
5. Add the marinated raw banana slices and mix well.
6. Lower the flame and cook, stir every now and then.
7. Continue to cook till the raw banana pieces turn crispy and golden brown (for about 12-15 minutes). Serve raw banana fry hot with rice.
Raw banana fry recipe card below:
Raw banana fry recipe- crispy tawa fried raw banana to serve with rice.
- 2 raw banana firm
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1/2 teaspoon Oil
- To temper:
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Select firm raw bananas and peel the skin.
- Slice into thin rounds.
- Take the cut raw banana in a mixing bowl. Add salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, oil and toss well. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Temper with mustard seeds, urad dal. Add curry leaves and saute well.
- Add the marinated raw banana slices and mix well.
- Lower the flame and cook, stir every now and then.
- Continue to cook till the raw banana pieces turn crispy and golden brown (for about 12-15 minutes). Serve raw banana fry hot with rice.
1. You can add water or some curd for marination instead of oil.
2. You can add finely chopped onions while tempering.
3. Make sure you slice the raw banana of same size.