Vegetable clear soup recipe made with mixed vegetables and minimum seasonings. This is a delicious and healthy clear soup recipe that you can easily make at home in minutes. Vegan recipe.
Clear soups are healthier and light variety of soups made by just simmering chopped vegetables or meat until the flavors are infused. The base can be water, broth or vegetable stock.
On days when you feel like having something light and healthy soups can be the best bet. We often have soup and salad dinner with a piece of bread.
Soups are the best bet for weight loss. Even if we are not in a diet or counting calories soups can be a welcome change from a regular meal.
You can make a simple or an elaborate meal with soup as you like. With simple clear soups I prefer to serve a hearty bread, some salad or some nibbles. With creamy soups all we need are some croutons.
I have tasted clear soups in Chinese restaurants few times. while the idea of a bowlful soup with loaded veggies is great, oftentimes we encounter a pasty soup with very few veggies and overpowering flavor of corn flour. So making clear soup at home is the best choice.
This veg clear soup recipe is something I have been making for years. This is one of the best recipes you can make when you have a bit of all the vegetables. Also this soup is made with just water. You don’t need veg stock or broth.
About Clear Soup Recipe
Clear soups are light and easy to make variety of soup made across the World. It is called clear soup because it is often made without any butter, starch or cream.
There are many ways to make this recipe. Once I have tasted a clear soup prepared without any fat in a buffet. It was simply vegetables simmered in a broth and seasoned with salt and pepper.
Even the spices and flavorings are also kept to bare minimum. The flavor mainly comes from the meats or vegetables used.
Chicken clear soup is the most popular one in this variety. Here this clear vegetable soup recipe is the vegetarian variation made with mixed vegetables.
Here in this veg clear soup recipe have used the vegetables we usually for making Chinese fried rice to get that typical flavor. I have also mentioned the variations you can make.
While the standard recipes for making clear soups call for a broth or stock, you actually do not need one. Simmering the vegetables in water itself releases all the flavor and the soup turns our delicious.
This simple veg clear soup recipe is very healthy, light and nutritious. Unlike the ones loaded with corn starch that you get in restaurants this homemade clear soup is full of veggies and not starchy at all.
Also I like to go easy on seasoning and flavoring in this soup so that the veggies can shine through. Also without any butter or cream the calories in veg clear soup is way lesser.
To make this clear soup more hearty and filling you can add some protein or starch. See variations for ideas.
This recipe of clear veg soup is something I have been making for years. This is one of the best recipes you can make when you have a bit of all the vegetables. This Vegetable Clear Soup Recipe
Is low cal and low fat
Filled with veggies and no fillers
Healthy, nutritious and clean
Delicious and flavorful.
What Do You Need For Clear Soup?
As mentioned above you really do not need any special ingredient or exotic ones to make veg clear soup. All you need are vegetables, salt, black pepper powder, olive oil and bit of soy sauce.
Soy sauce is an optional ingredient here. I once tasted this clear soup drizzled with light soy sauce in some restaurant and liked it, so I add a dash of it in my recipe.
Usually button mushrooms are added in clear vegetable soup for umami. If you want to avoid soy sauce you can add some chopped mushrooms or even 1 teaspoon mushroom sauce. Here is the breakdown of ingredients for making vegetable clear soup.
Vegetables– I like to add as much vegetables as possible as they add so much flavor in this soup. I usually add carrots, cabbage, celery, French beans, sweet corns. Make sure the veggies are finely chopped for quick cooking.
Olive oil- I like to use light olive oil in this recipe more than butter or any vegetable oil. It lends a wonderful mild flavor without overpowering the flavor of veggies.
Spring onions– along with celery some spring onions are also added in this soup for that authentic Chinese flavor. I add both the greens and white stalks of spring onion for maximum flavor.
Soy sauce- an optional ingredient that I usually add in my veg clear soup recipe for umami flavor.
Salt and pepper– to taste. Use freshly cracked black pepper powder for maximum flavor. For milder heat use white peppercorns.
How To Make Veg Clear Soup Recipe
1. Chop all the veggies very finely in uniform size.
2. Heat a sauce pan with one tablespoon sesame oil or olive oil. Add minced ginger garlic and saute very well.
3. Add the chopped vegetables and saute well.
4. Add required salt.
5. Saute well for 8-10 minutes, the vegetables should wilt little and raw smell should go off.
6. Add 6 cups of water, 2 teaspoons soy sauce close the pan and cook till the water reduces to about 3 cups.
7. Mix 1 teaspoon corn flour in 1/2 cup water without lumps. Add this cornflower slurry to the simmering soup .
8. Mix well and simmer for 5-6 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon sugar and pepper powder. Adjust salt and serve immediately.
9. Dissolve 1 teaspoon corn flour in 1/4 cup water without any lumps. Add to the boiling soup, simmer for 5-7 minutes till the soup thickens a bit.
10. Add more salt, pepper powder if required, stir well.
11. Serve veg clear soup recipe immediately.
Recipe Variations And Tips
- Adding soy sauce lend a sharp flavor to this otherwise very mildly seasoned veg clear soup. So I prefer to use but you can leave it out or add chili sauce instead.
- You can add some rice vinegar for flavor.
- While making for kids you can add white pepper powder for milder flavor.
- Instead of water you can add mild stock if available.
- Chop the vegetables in uniform size for even and quick cooking.
- For an authentic taste and flavor use sesame oil. You can also use olive oil.
- To make gluten free vegetable clear soup just skip soy sauce or add tamari.
Frequently Asked Questions
To make this recipe veg clear soup you can use veggies like cabbage, broccoli ,carrot, bok choy, Brussels sprouts, peppers, beans etc. Two or more veggies are preferred. If you eat mushrooms you can also add it in this soup.
The other ingredients for veg clear soup are some minced garlic, a bit of corn flour and a splash of soy sauce. you can totally leave out corn flour here. you just have to simmer the soup a bit more. Along with garlic you can also add some spring onions for flavor.
This clear veg soup as such is very light. If you are serving this soup as starter this soup is just fine. But if you are planning to serve this as a meal adding some protein or starch will make the soup more filling and hearty.
You can add slightly sautéed tofu cubes or paneer cubes. Some mushrooms sautéed in butter is also a very good option. If you want to add some starch you can add 1/2 cup cooked pasta or noodles. You can also simply serve this soup with toast.
Are you making this recipe? I would love to see a snap of your creation too. Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou and please give a star rating ★ in the recipe card above. Follow us on Pinterest , Instagram, Facebook for more recipes and ideas.
Veg Clear Soup Recipe
- 3 cups chopped vegetables carrot, cabbage, corn, beans, bell peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- Pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- Chop the all the vegetables finely of equal size.
- Heat a pressure pan or saute pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter.
- Add minced garlic and saute very well till the raw smell goes off.
- Add the chopped vegetables and saute well. Add required salt and pepper powder. Saute well for 8-10 minutes, the vegetables should wilt little and raw smell should go off.
- For 3 cups of vegetables add about 6 cups of water, 2 teaspoons soy sauce close the pan and cook till the water reduces to about 3 cups. Dissolve 1 teaspoon corn flour in 1/4 cup water without any lumps.Add to the boiling soup, simmer for 5-7 minutes till the soup thickens a bit.
- Add more salt, pepper powder if required, stir well and serve veg clear soup recipe immediately.
- The recipe an be doubled.
- You can adjust the spice level as per taste