Veg clear soup is a delicious and easy vegetarian variation of popular clear soup. This flavorful and delicious soup with a truck load of vegetables is a great appetizer or can be a meal in itself with some bread and salad. Making restaurant style Chinese clear soup with vegetables is really easy and here is how to!
On days when you feel like having something light and healthy soups can be the best bet. We often have soup and salad dinner with a piece of bread. We love piping hot bowl of corn clear soup, tomato soup, mixed veg soup and sometimes we have a one pot meal of pasta soup.or manchow soup.
Soups are the best bet for weight watchers. Even if we are not in a diet or counting calories soups can be a welcome change fro a regular meal. You can make a simple or an elaborate meal with soup as you like. With simple clear soups I prefer to serve a hearty bread, some salad or some nibbles. With creamy soups all we need are some croutons.
I have tasted clear soups in Chinese restaurants few times. while the idea of a bowlful soup with loaded veggies is great, oftentimes we encounter a pasty soup with very few veggies and overpowering flavor of corn flour. So making clear soup at home is the best choice.
This recipe of clear veg soup is something I have been making for years. This is one of the best recipes you can make when you have a bit of all the vegetables. Also this soup is made with just water. You don’t need veg stock or broth.
This Veg Clear Soup Recipe
Is vegan, gluten free
Is low cal and low fat
Filled with veggies and no fillers
Healthy, nutritious and clean
Delicious and flavorful.
This simple veg clear soup recipe is very healthy, light and nutritious. Unlike the ones loaded with corn starch that you get in restaurants this homemade clear soup is full of veggies and not starchy at all.
Also I like to go easy on seasoning and flavoring in this soup so that the veggies can shine through. Also without any butter or cream the calories in veg clear soup is way lesser. To make this more hearty and filling you can add some protein or starch. See variations for ideas.
Serve veg clear soup piping hot. You can serve this soup with momos, wantons for a meal.
What Veggies Can I Use For Clear Soup?
To make veg clear soup you can use veggies like cabbage, broccoli ,carrot, bok choy, Brussels sprouts, peppers, beans etc. Two or more veggies are preferred. If you eat mushrooms you can also add it in this soup.
The other ingredients for veg clear soup are some minced garlic, a bit of corn flour and a splash of soy sauce. you can totally leave out corn flour here. you just have to simmer the soup a bit more.
Along with garlic you can also add some spring onions for flavor.
What Can Be Added To Make Clear Soup Hearty?
This clear veg soup as such is very light. If you are serving this soup as starter this soup is just fine. But if you are planning to serve this as a meal adding some protein or starch will make the soup more filling and hearty.
You can add sightly sauteed tofu cubes or paneer cubes. Some mushrooms sauteed in butter is also a very good option. If you want to add some starch you can add 1/2 cup cooked pasta or noodles. You can also simply serve this soup with toast.
How To Make Veg Clear Soup
1. Chop all the veggies very finely in uniform size.
2. Heat a pan with one tablespoon sesame oil or olive oil. Add minced garlic and saute very well.
3. Add the chopped vegetables and saute well.
4. Add required salt.
5. Saute well for 8-10 minutes, the vegetables should wilt little and raw smell should go off.
6. Add 6 cups of water, 2 teaspoons soy sauce close the pan and cook till the water reduces to about 3 cups.
7. Mix 1 teaspoon corn flour in 1/2 cup water without lumps. Add this cornflour slurry to the simmering soup.
8. Mix well and simmer for 5-6 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon sugar and pepper powder. Adjust salt and serve immediately.
9. Dissolve 1 teaspoon corn flour in 1/4 cup water without any lumps.Add to the boiling soup, simmer for 5-7 minutes till the soup thickens a bit.
10. Add more salt, pepper powder if required, stir well.
11. Serve veg clear soup recipe immediately.
Recipe Variations And Tips
- Adding soy sauce lend a sharp flavor to this otherwise very mildly seasoned soup. So I prefer to use but you can leave it out or add chili sauce instead.
- You can add some rice vinegar for flavor.
- While making for kids you can add white pepper powder for milder flavor.
- Instead of water you can add mild stock if available.
- Chop the vegetables in uniform size for even and quick cooking.
- For an authentic taste and flavor use sesame oil. You can also use olive oil.
You Might Also Like
I hope you will try this clear soup recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
Clear Soup Recipe
Veg Clear Soup Recipe
- 3 cups chopped vegetables carrot, cabbage, corn, beans, bell peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- Pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- Chop the all the vegetables finely of equal size.
- Heat a pressure pan or saute pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter.
- Add minced garlic and saute very well till the raw smell goes off.
- Add the chopped vegetables and saute well. Add required salt and pepper powder. Saute well for 8-10 minutes, the vegetables should wilt little and raw smell should go off.
- For 3 cups of vegetables add about 6 cups of water, 2 teaspoons soy sauce close the pan and cook till the water reduces to about 3 cups. Dissolve 1 teaspoon corn flour in 1/4 cup water without any lumps.Add to the boiling soup, simmer for 5-7 minutes till the soup thickens a bit.
- Add more salt, pepper powder if required, stir well and serve veg clear soup recipe immediately.
- The recipe an be doubled.
- You can adjust the spice level as per taste