Last updated on August 14th, 2018
Bread and butter pudding recipe is an easy way to transform stale bread to an exotic dessert. This typical English dessert is so delicious with varied textures and flavors. This is an ultimate comfort dessert and one of our favorite snack at home too. You can serve this in various ways with many toppings. Here is how to make delicious egg free bread and butter pudding with custard sauce at home!
I had this bread and butter pudding dessert for the first time in a small cafe in Bangalore. It was so delicious and rich. The flavor of butter and warm custard as you dig in is a real bliss in this dessert.
Ever since I have been this dessert at home especially when there is any left over bread from making sandwiches or bread rolls. Think of this as a counterpart or English version of shahi thukra 🙂
The best part about bread and butter pudding is you can serve it in multiple ways. It is so yummy and unique in each way.
Serve warm as breakfast or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert. Yum!
What Is Bread And Butter Pudding?
Bread and butter pudding is basically a layered dessert made with bread, homemade custard sauce and some nuts. The butters bread slices are layered with homemade custard sauce, nuts and finally topped with some sugar.
The arranged layers are baked until the pudding is set yet a bit soft.
Key for best bread and butter pudding is you have the top layer set and crispy but as you dig in there is a warm oozing custard sauce. This tastes better than completely set pudding.
Bread And Butter Pudding Recipe Ingredients:
- Bread- You can use any type of bread for this recipe. Usually stale or a day old bread is best for pudding. I have whole wheat bread slices. You can also white bread or even baguette.
- Custard sauce- Traditionally eggs are used for making custard sauce for bread pudding. In this I have used vanilla custard powder as replacement for eggs.
- Butter- I prefer to use salted butter as that rounds of the sweetness very well.
- Sugar- I have used organic brown sugar in this recipe and 4 tablespoons of it. The pudding is not overly sweet. We also some sprinkle some sugar on top so it is better to add sugar cautiously.
- Nuts and dry fruits- These are what that gives some texture and bite to the saucy pudding. use generously.
How Can I Make Custard Sauce Without Custard Powder?
You can easily make custard for bread and pudding recipe without custard powder. Just use same amount of corn flour and make the sauce. Once the sauce is thickened add pure vanilla extract or powder and mix well.
How To Make Bread And Butter Pudding With Condensed milk?
To make bread butter pudding with condensed milk you can use any brand sweetened condensed milk.
Prepare the custard slurry with 1/4 cup milk as mentioned in the recipe.
To the custard slurry mix 200 grams condensed milk and 1/2 cup milk. Do not add sugar.
Simmer for 3-4 minutes. Use this custard sauce in the recipe.
How To Make Bread Butter Pudding With Cream?
This pudding can be made more rich by adding fresh cream, double cream or heavy cream to the custard.
Just reduce the milk by 1 cup and add 1 cup cream instead. Mix well and prepare the custard sauce.
What Goes Well As Toppings With Bread Pudding?
You can serve bread and butter pudding as breakfast or dessert.
For breakfast I would serve this warm and plain. While serving as dessert you can top the bread pudding with
- vanilla ice cream
- butterscotch ice cream
- more custard sauce
- caramel sauce
- chocolate sauce
- even simple sugar syrup
- rabdi (to give an Indian touch 🙂 )
Can You Freeze Bread and Butter Pudding?
You can easily freeze this pudding after baking. Just make sure to use a freezer safe container to freeze.
Once the pudding is cooled to room temperature wrap wit well and freeze.
To serve you can warm it up in the oven or microwave for few minutes.
Recipe Notes and Tips:
If you are using sweet bread or milk bread you may have to reduce the amount of sugar by 1 tablespoon.
Instead of sprinkling brown sugar on pudding pre-baking you can dust the pudding with icing sugar after baking.
You can serve this pudding with fresh berries for breakfast.
Use a deep dish for this recipe.
I have cut the bread into large triangles here. You can even cut into small cubes or fingers.
The baking time varies from oven to oven. We prefer a slightly gooey pudding. If you want a more set pudding increase the baking time by 3-4 minutes.
Vegans can use almond milk to make the custard sauce and non dairy butter for bread.
So do give this super easy bread and butter pudding when you have some stale bread lying around. One of the best desserts you will enjoy!
Don’t forget to snap and pic and share with me in Instagram or facebook when you make this!
More Custard and Pudding Recipes:
- Mango pudding
- Fruit custard
- Mango custard
- Chocolate panna cotta
- Chocolate pudding recipe
- eggless creme caramel
How To Make Bread And Butter Pudding Recipe:
To Make Custard Sauce:
Mix 2 tablespoons custard powder into 1/4 cup boiled and cooled milk. Mix well without any lumps.
Now add this custard slurry to the remaining milk. Add sugar and mix well.
Cook this in low flame stirring continuously. Once the custard is thick and coats the back of the ladle remove from flame.
Keep covered until use.
To Make Bread and Butter Pudding:
Preheat oven to 180C / 350F
Butter all the bread slices well. Slice the bread into triangles or cubes.
Grease a deep baking dish well with butter.
Arrange 1/2 of the bread slices in such a way they are slightly overlapping.
Sprinkle a generous amount of raisins and chopped almonds
Pour prepared custard sauce.
Arrange the remaining buttered bread slices.
Add more dry fruits.
Finally a generous sprinkling of brown sugar.
Carefully place the tin in the hot oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Once the top appears browned and set remove from oven.
Cool for 5 minutes and serve bread pudding warm.
You can serve with any sweet sauce or a scoop of ice cream as dessert.
Bread And Butter Pudding Recipe:
Eggless bread pudding is a classic English dessert prepared with stale or a day old bread. Serve this delicious dish in multiple ways. Serve plain and warm as breakfast or as dessert with a scoop of ice cream. Either way it is delicious!
- 2 cups whole milk boiled and cooled
- 3 tablespoons custard powder or corn flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 8 bread slices
- 3 tablespoons soft butter
- 1/4 cup raisins or sultanas
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- vanilla ice cream
- caramel or chocolate sauce
- Mix 2 tablespoons custard powder into 1/4 cup boiled and cooled milk. Mix well without any lumps.
- Now add this custard slurry to the remaining milk. Add sugar and mix well.
- Cook this in low flame stirring continuously. Once the custard is thick and coats the back of the ladle remove from flame.
- Keep covered until use.
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F
- Butter all the bread slices well. Slice the bread into triangles or cubes.
- Grease a deep baking dish well with butter.
- Arrange 1/2 of the bread slices in such a way they are slightly overlapping.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of raisins and chopped almonds
- Pour prepared custard sauce.
- Arrange the remaining buttered bread slices.
- Add more dry fruits.
- Finally a generous sprinkling of brown sugar.
- Carefully place the tin in the hot oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Once the top appears browned and set remove from oven.
- Cool for 5 minutes and serve bread pudding warm.
- You can serve with any sweet sauce or a scoop of ice cream as dessert.