Indian roasted corn on the cob or bhutta recipe as it known to all Indians is a crazy favorite during winters and corn season. Corn on cob is popular street food across the world and this roasted corn easily tops the list. Did you know it is very easy to make roasted corn on cob at home without grill or tandoor? Read on!
A common scene during Indian winters in the street is ,vendor would efficiently flame roast the whole corn until charred and rub a half of lemon dipped in spices. The piping hot roasted corn would be given over to the eagerly awaiting hands.
Once you take a bite you experience a burst of flavor and taste. Juicy roasted corn that is spicy as well as tangy from lemon and spices is sure a treat. Winters evenings can’t get any better. You can also serve this grilled corn as barbecue side or make roasted corn salad.
So What Is Indian Roasted Corn On the Cob?
Corn on the cob is most loved street food across the globe. In India apart from boiled corn on the cob this roasted corn also known as bhutta.
The husked whole corn is roasted in a coal fire or open flame until well roasted. On the piping hot corn seasoned lemon is rubbed all over and served immediately. That is roasted corn on cob for you. Once you taste this you will crave more and more for this soulful snack.
You can easily make roasted corn on the cob at home without tandoor. I usually make this in tow ways.
- use a steel wire rack with stand and roast in open flame.
- Grill the corn in oven until charred and roasted.
Of the two method I would say using a wire stand is the easiest way. It just take around 4-5 minutes for each corn and less work.
You can also grill the corn on oven for which I have included the instructions below.
How To Roast Corn In Oven?
To roast corn on the cob using oven you can use a grill plate or baking sheet. You can line the baking sheet with aluminium foil too.
Preheat your oven at 250C. Remove the husks from the corn and arrange on the baking sheet. You can cut the corn according to the size of your baking sheet.
Bake for 18-22 minutes until you get the desired charring. While the corn is till hot rub the seasoned lemon all over and serve immediately.
How To Grill Corn on The Cob In Tandoor or Outside Grill?
You can use tandoor or outside grill to make this snack. Just heat the tandoor or outside grill well.
Place the husked corn and grill for 8-10 minutes. Rotate midway to ensure even roasting.
Rub the seasoned lemon and serve immediately.
Seasoning Roasted Corn on The Cob:
There are many ways you can season the roasted corn. Some delicious combinations are
lime-chili powder-salt-red chili powder
melted salted butter-salt-chili powder
Recipe Notes and Tips:
Use fresh and tender corn as they are juicy and less chewy
You can use sweet corn or Indian corn in this recipe
Use the husk while serving to prevent hands from heat.
More Street Food Recipes
How To Make Roasted Corn on The Cob Step by Step
1. Remove the husk until halfway from the fresh corn. Pull the husk backward.
2. Place a steel wire rack with stand on open flame on stove top.
3. place the husked corn and roast for 5-8 minutes.
4. Rotate and flip the corn till desired charring is achieved.
5. Mix salt, red chili powder and garam masala well.
6. Dip a half of lemon on masala powder.
7. Rub this seasoned lemon all over the roasted corn. Serve immediately.
I hope you will try this easy roasted corn on cob recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
Roasted Corn on The Cob Recipe
Indian Roasted Corn on The Cob Recipe
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 3 whole corn sweet corn or Indian corn
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 3 lemon halves
- salt to taste
- Remove the husk until halfway from the fresh corn. Pull the husk backward.
- Place a steel wire rack with stand on open flame on stove top.
- place the husked corn and roast for 5-8 minutes. Rotate and flip the corn till desired charring is achieved.
- Mix salt, red chili powder and garam masala well.
- Dip a half of lemon on masala powder.
- Rub this seasoned lemon all over the roasted corn. Serve immediately.