Last updated on September 9th, 2019
Khubani ka meetha is a popular dessert from Hyderabad with dried apricots. You can make this super delicious, rich and tasty dessert in 20 mins with just three ingredients. No ghee or milk vegan, gluten free dessert. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or chilled on its pwn. Here is how to make easy khubani ka meetha.
khubani means apricots in Urdu. Meetha means something sweet. So khubani ka meetha literally translates to sweet with apricots. This is a very popular dessert from Hyderabad just like shahi thukra, double ka meetha, sheer kurma etc.
I have tasted this khubani ka meetha many times during my stay in Hyderabad for office training. I just love vegetarian Andra cuisine. Pesarattu, Hyderabdai dum biryani, andra pappu, cut mirchi bajji, peanut chutney, bagara baingan, allam pachadi are few of my favorites.
This khubani ka meetha is very delicious and rich yet easy vegan and gluten free sweet with just three ingredients. It is basically cooking soaked apricots with sugar. You don’t even have to add cardamom powder for flavor. The flavor of cooked apricots is so good.
Traditionally dried apricots with seed are used in this recipe. Here I have used dried golden apricots. If you are using apricots with kernels you will have to remove them before making the sweet. Also it is important to soak the apricots for 4-8 hours.
Making khubani ka meetha takes only 20 minutes. It is more like jam making, you cook the soft fruit, add sugar and mix well. That’s it.
Serve khubani ka meetha as dessert. You can also serve it warm with tea or coffee or snack. I like it chilled with nuts garnish.
This Khubani Ka Meetha Recipe Is
simple, quick & easy
3 ingredients & 15 mins+ recipe
Vegan & gluten free
Rich, exotic & delicious.
To make khubani ka meetha you can use regular dried apricots and golden apricots. If you use golden apricots the color of the dessert will be golden and with regular apricots it will be deep and intense. Taste will be the same with both varieties.
The quantity of sugar depends on your preference and the sweetness of apricots. Here I have used 1/4 cup sugar for around 25 apricots as the ones I used were tart. Instead of sugar you can also use powdered jaggery.
How To Make Khubani Ka Meetha
rinse and soak 25-30 dried apricots in water for 4-8 hours. If soaking for 4 hours you can use warm water.
Once the apricots are soft, drain the water well.
Add the soft apricots to a heavy pan and also add 1.5 cups water. Using a potato masher mash the apricots here and there.
Simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
Now again mash the apricots well.
Add sugar and mix well. Cook for another 5 minutes.
Remove from flame and add flaked almonds.
Serve khubani ka meetha warm with ice cream or chilled on its own.
How To Serve Khubani Ka Meetha?
For toddlers and kids you can serve khubani ka meetha as topping on milk toast too.
You can also serve khubani ka meetha with custard. Just make custard as mentioned here and while serving top with khubani ka meetha instead of fresh fruits.
While serving you can add roasted pumpkin seeds as topping too.
Some Tips To Make Khubani ka Meetha
- Use good quality dried apricots that are not rancid.
- You can even use fresh apricots here. Just peel, remove the stone and chop finely. Soaking is not required.
- Instead of sugar you can try using powdered jaggery
- Add sugar based on the sweetness of apricots. You can add more or less than mentioned in the recipe.
I hope you will try this khubani ka meeta recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Khubani Ka Meetha Recipe
Khubani Ka Meetha (Hyderabad Special)
- 25 dried apricots
- 1.5 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar add more or less as per taste
- 2 tablespoons almonds flakes
- rinse and soak 25-30 dried apricots in water for 4-8 hours. If soaking for 4 hours you can use warm water.
- Once the apricots are soft, drain the water well.
- Add the soft apricots to a heavy pan and also add 1.5 cups water. Using a potato masher mash the apricots here and there.
- Simmer and cook for 20-222 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Now again mash the apricots well.
- Now again mash the apricots well.
- Add sugar and mix well. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from flame and add flaked almonds.
- Serve khubani ka meetha warm with ice cream or chilled on its own.
- You can add few pinches of cardamom powder for flavor
- The recipe can be doubled or tripled