Mango ice cream recipe without an ice cream maker! To make this luscious homemade ice cream all you need are mangoes, fresh cream sugar and milk powder. This homemade mango ice cream is creamy and easy to scoop just like store bought ice creams, in fact better!
Come summer there is mango ice cream everywhere, well at least at our home we go through bowls and bowls of it. Not just any other ice cream but homemade mango ice cream with clean mango flavor.
I have been making this ice cream for a while and I must say this recipe of mango ice cream is really good. You just need 6 ingredients for this hand churned ice cream. It yields one of the best, fluffiest, light and creamy mango ice cream and you should try to believe.
Mango Ice Cream Ingredients
Fresh ripe and sweet mangoes. The taste and flavor of your mango ice cream is directly proportional to the quality of mangoes you use. I always prefer to use ripe alphonso mangoes in this recipe. Alphonso mangoes are sweet, vibrant in color and less fibrous. You can also use kesar or other ripe mangoes.
Ideally you should beusing heavy whipping cream. However in Indian markets we get only low fat and medium fat cream. So you can very well use it as I did here. I have used ow fat amul fresh cream in this recipe. Just chill the cream and whip till soft peaks are formed.
Milk powder adds richness and a soft texture to this mango ice cream. Use any brand unsweetened milk powder.
Finely powdered sugar works best here. I prefer to use granulated white sugar in this recipe.
Vanilla adds a nice flavor to this ice cream but it is optional. You can leave it out.
How To Make Homemade Mango Ice Cream
We can make mango ice cream at home in many ways. I usually follow two ice cream base recipes for my homemade ice creams. First one is the ice cream base with fresh cream, milk powder and flavor. The second method is using condensed milk, fresh cream and flavor. Both the methods yield tasty and rich ice creams at home especially without an ice cream maker.
In this homemade mango ice cream recipe I made the base with fresh cream and milk powder. I prefer not to add milk in my ice cream recipes much. Milk increases the chance of crystallization so I use milk powder instead. Also adding milk powder gives the rice cream a rich texture in the absence of condensed milk.
This ice cream recipe uses freeze and blend method. That is you have to take the partially set ice cream and whip or blend to make it creamy and soft. Here I am also mentioning another easy recipe for mango ice cream. You can follow this method for richer texture and also especially if you want to avoid churning.
To make this ice cream we need fresh mango puree. So you make puree with ripe and juicy mangoes. Select ripe and sweet mangoes so that you can reduce the sugar. Especially with less sugar the flavor of mango will shine through the ice cream.
Homemade Mango Ice Cream Recipe Variations
You can make mango ice cream with condensed milk very easily. This method especially requires not churning at all. Just mix, freeze and eat 🙂
Mix in 2 cups of mango puree and 400 grams of sweetened condensed milk well. You can add vanilla or mango essence of you prefer. Now fold in 200 grams of fresh cream whipped to stiff peaks. Transfer the ice cream mixture to a freeze safe container and cover airtight. Freeze for 8-10 hours. Scoop and serve.
Furthermore you can make this mango ice cream in ice cream maker too. Just follow the recipe for making the base. Then freeze according to the instructions of manufacturer.
This homemade mango ice cream recipe is nothing like what you get in shops. It is mild in color, no colorants added. Very fresh and flavorful with no preservatives or added flavors. I have tasted mango ice ream from shops and now this homemade mango ice cream is like pure bliss to me.There is absolutely no ice crystals in this recipe. I highly recommend you all to try this ice cream with mangoes at least once.
Serve mango ice cream as dessert with fresh mango pieces or any sauce. More ice cream recipes you might like
Tips For Making Best Mango Ice Cream
- Use sweet and ripe mangoes that are less fibrous.
- Do not add more mango puree than mentioned as that will reduce the creaminess. So try and use very flavorful mangoes for more mango flavor.
- You can use full fat fresh cream if available. More fat in the cream, more creamy ice cream.
- Always keep the ice cream for freezing in a container closed airtight container as otherwise there will formation of ice crystals.
How to make mango ice cream recipe (Step by step)
1. First of all place a mixing bowl for whipping cream and a container to freeze ice cream in freezer for 1 hour. Peel and remove the stone from mangoes. Chop the mangoes roughly. Transfer to a blender jar and puree the mangoes.
2. Add milk powder and 1/2 cup milk to the mango puree. Blend again until smooth and light.
3. Take the mixing bowl from the freezer. Add thick chilled cream to it. Add powdered sugar and start whipping. You can whip using a beater or hand whisk. Whip until the cream is light and fluffy.
4. Add the mango puree to the cream sugar mixture and fold gently.
5. Transfer the mango ice cream mixture to the chilled container. Close the container and freeze for 4 hours.
6.Remove the ice cream mixture from freezer and whisk well to break the ice formation. Freeze again for an hour. Repeat this step for 4 times. Close the container and freeze for 8 hours
7. Finally once the ice cream is fully set it is ready to be served. Keep the ice cream at room temperature for 5 minutes. Scoop and serve mango ice cream in cups or cones as required.
Mango ice cream recipe card below
- 1 1/2 cups mango puree from 2 big mangoes
- 400 gram fresh cream
- 1/4 cup +2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup milk powder
- 1/2 cup milk optional
- Vanilla optional
- Place a mixing bowl for whipping cream and a container to freeze ice cream in freezer for 1 hour. Peel and remove the stone from mangoes. Chop the mangoes roughly. Transfer to a blender jar and puree the mangoes.
- Add milk powder and 1/2 cup milk to the mango puree. Blend again until smooth and light.
- Take the mixing bowl from the freezer. Add thick chilled cream to it. Add powdered sugar and start whipping. You can whip using a beater or hand whisk. Whip until the cream is light and fluffy.
- Add the mango puree to the cream sugar mixture and fold gently.
- Transfer the mango ice cream mixture to the chilled container. Close the container and freeze for 4 hours.
- Remove the ice cream mixture from freezer and whisk well to break the ice formation. Freeze again for an hour. Repeat this step for 4 times. Close the container and freeze for 8 hours
- Once the ice cream is fully set it is ready to be served. Keep the ice cream at room temperature for 5 minutes. Scoop and serve mango ice cream in cups or cones as required.
1. You can use double cream for more rich ice cream. You can even use whipping cream if you wish.
2. Fresh cream e get here in India is low fat cream. Make sure to bet until light and fluffy.
3. You can use cardamom instead of vanilla.