Last updated on August 9th, 2018
Masala pasta is our recent favorite at home that I make at times for dinner or weekend brunch. This Indian style pasta especially is an wonderful dish to pack in kids lunchbox. This masala pasta is spicier and tangier as opposite to traditional pasta recipes and therefore much suited to Indian palate. If you are looking for easy pasta recipes with familiar flavor then do try this Indian style pasta recipe.
You can make masala pasta in many ways. You can vary the seasoning and spices and just easily create new flavors every time.
Variations with masala pasta recipe.
- You can use any pulao base like paneer butter or palak paneer pulao and make this pasta. Just use al dente pasta and toss instead of rice.
- You can add a handful of cubed paneer or tofu in masala pasta. Adding paneer is especially a great way to increase protein if you are serving this as main meal.
- Sometimes I also add boiled chickpeas in this recipe.
- When making masala pasta for kids you can skip chili powder and add pepper powder also.
You can add any of your favorite vegetables in masala pasta. Typically veggies used in pulao suits best in this recipe also. I prefer to use carrot, bell peppers, baby corn, onions, green peas in this recipe.
I use organic durum wheat pasta or whole wheat pasta in my pasta recipes, Our recent favorite is organic durum wheat pasta from down to earth. You can use penne, macaroni or fusili pasta in this recipe.
Serve masala pasta with thick yogurt to bring down the spice level especially for kids. This pasta tastes well on its won too. Let the pasta cool a bit before packing in lunch box.
more easy pasta recipes:
How to make masala pasta recipe video:
how to make masala pasta recipe (step by step)
1. First of all bring 4 cups water in a large deep pan. Add salt and 1 teaspoon oil to it. To the boiling water, add the pastaand cook till it gets soft and cooked up to 90%
2. Drain the cooked pasta and rinse with cold water.Set aside.
3. Heat 2-3 teaspoons oil in a kadai. Once hot temper with mustard seeds. Add cumin,green chilies,ginger and curry leaves. Saute well.
4. Add chopped onions and saute till translucent.Add the tomatoes and saute till mushy.Add the bell peppers,salt,garam masala,turmeric powder and saute for 6-7 minutes.
5. Add the cooked pasta and toss gently.Saute in low flame for 2-3 minutes and remove from flame.
6. Serve Indian style masala pasta hot. It tastes good in lunch box too.
Masala pasta recipe card below
- 1 1/2 cups pasta penne or elbow
- 1 Onion chopped fine
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped fine
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 inch giner crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves
- Oil to temper
- Bring 4 cups water in a large deep pan.Add salt and 1 teaspoon oil to it.Add the pasta to it and cook till it gets soft and cooked up to 90%
- Drain the cooked pasta and rinse with cold water.Set aside.
- Heat 2-3 teaspoons oil in a kadai.Once hot temper with mustard,cumin,green chillies,ginger and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions and saute till translucent.Add the tomatoes and saute till mushy.Add the bell peppers,salt,garam masala,turmeric powder and saute for 6-7 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta and toss gently.Saute in low flame for 2-3 minutes and remove from flame.
- Serve Indian style masala pasta hot/it tastes good in lunch box too.
1.You can add as many veggies along with bell pepper,they add to taste and nutrition.I was in short of veggies actually.
2.You can add any masala like pav bhaji masala.garam masala etc to give a twist.
3. Adding oil while cooking pasta is to avoid sticking and breaking of pasta.