Coconut rice recipe- coconut rice also known as thengai sadham in Tamil is a traditional rice recipe from south India. Many south Indian foods use fresh coconut and this coconut rice is popular one among them. Thengai sadham is traditionally made during pongal, navratri, aadi perukku festivals. Coconut rice is also served during weddings.
Coconut rice is easy to make. It is one of the best recipes to make with left over rice. To make thengai sadham rice has to be cooked and cooled thoroughly. I usually cook the rice 2 hours before making coconut rice. If you have rice it is best to use it in coconut rice or lemon rice. This coconut rice is a vegan and gluten free recipe. This is also a no onion garlic recipe suitable for fasting.
To make coconut rice basmati rice is not used. we use regular ponni or sona masuri rice to make thengai sadham. However if you prefer to use basmati rice you can use it. The rice has be cold and grains separate. Once the rice is cooked take it on wide plate. Add 1 teaspoon oil and mix gently. Then let rice cool down completely before using in the recipe. You can follow this to make coconut rice as well as any other south Indian variety rice recipe like lemon rice, curry leaves rice, sesame rice recipes.
Thengai sadham is very quick to make if you have fresh grated coconut handy. We just need to temper and saute the grated coconut well. Then add to the cooked rice and mix gently.
Few variations you can do while making coconut rice:
- You can add some grated carrot while sauteing coconut.
- Fry 2 urad dal papad and crush them well. Add to the coconut rice just before serving. Serve immediately.
- You can add chopped capsicum instead of green chilies while making coconut rice for toddlers and kids.
Coconut is extensively used in Tamil recipes for its health benefits. Apart from this simple coconut rice recipe we also make coconut chutney,coconut milk pulao, sodhi, dosa, add coconut in korma recipes. Homemade sweetened coconut milk is also served as side dish for appam.
You can serve coconut rice with vadam chips or pickle. We often have coconut rice with aviyal. Thengai sadham with aviayl is a tradition for pongal festival in our homes.
How to make coconut rice recipe.
1. Cook and cool the rice completely. Add 1 teaspoon oil to the cooked rice and mix well.
2. Soak urad dal and chana dal in water for 10 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Temper with mustard seeds, slit green chilies, dried red chilies and curry leaves.
4. Drain the soaked dals and add to the tempering. Add broken cashews and add them too. Saute till the dals and cashews turn golden.
5. Add grated coconut and mix well. Saute till the coconut turns slightly golden. Season with salt.
6. Add the coconut mixture to the cooled rice and mix gently. Serve coconut rice with papad or aviyal.
Coconut rice recipe card below:
Coconut rice or thengai sahdam is a traditional south Indian rice recipe with freshly grated coconut
- 2 cup cooked and cooled rice
- 1.25 cups freshly grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons urad dal
- 1 tablespoon chana dal
- 10 cashews broken
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 green chilies slit
- 2 dried red chilies
- Salt to taste
- Cook and cool the rice completely. Add 1 teaspoon oil to the cooked rice and mix well.
- Soak urad dal and chana dal in water for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Temper with mustard seeds, slit green chilies, dried red chilies and curry leaves.
- Drain the soaked dals and add to the tempering. Add broken cashews and add them too. Saute till the dals and cashews turn golden.
Add grated coconut and mix well. Saute till the coconut turns slightly golden.
- Add the coconut mixture to the cooled rice and mix gently. Serve coconut rice with papad or aviyal.