Last updated on February 25th, 2018
Leftover rice recipes and ideas. Sharing some Indian recipes with leftover rice. -this post has been in pipeline for quiet some time. I should rather say a few months. When I blogged about 10 foods that toddlers will actually eat, I was really surprised by the response that particular post received. I also had many readers write to me for such compiled list posts. I had a bunch of readers email me asking for indian leftover rice recipes and that is quite natural. Rice being our staple food and cooked everyday,we will definitely have some leftover rice one day or the other. We would have cooked expecting some guests,on a festival day,anyone in the family may have no or little appetite and we will be left behind with leftover rice. So it is always useful to have few leftover rice recipes handy. Here I have a compiled a list of Indian leftover rice recipes that i have collected so far.
I have a handful of Indian rice recipes with leftover rice,so that it never gets wasted. The amount and the type of the rice leftover plays a key role in deciding how to use it. Here in this post I have a compiled a list of about 10 indian leftover rice recipes or present it in a disguised form. What I am sharing here are only quick recipes,these do not have a picture and I shall update these with pictures if and when I prepare them.
Select any recipe based on what type of leftover rice you have. Also depending upon the amount of leftover rice you can cook the recipe.
indian leftover rice recipes
1. veg fried rice: If you have a reasonable quantity of leftover rice that too grains separate,you can make fried rice with it. In fact most of the recipes for fried rice calls for cooked and cooled rice so left over rice will work like a breeze here.
2. South Indian style flavored rice/chithrannam: Again when you have a good amount of rice you can make variety rice like lemon rice,coconut rice etc. Just add 2-3 teaspoons sesame oil to the rice and mix well. Let the rice sit for 10-15 minutes before mixing.
3.In idly: If you have around 1/2 cup of cooked rice or so you can grind it along with idly batter for very soft and spongy idlys.
Check Soft idly recipe.
4. In adai/kunukku:Adai/kunukku is basically a thick crispy crepe/deep fried balls made with same batter. The batter is prepared with rice and lentils,you can add cooked rice to this batter.
5. Sakkarai pongal: If you have mushy cooked rice you can use it up to make sakkarai pongal. You just have pressure cook the dal separately and mix well with the cooked rice and proceed the same way you make pongal.
Check: Sakkarai pongal recipe
6. Payasam/kheer: Just like sakkarai pongal you can use cooked rice in payasam recipes too. This will be perfect when you have veryy less amount of cooked rice,that too basmati rice.
7. You can add cooked rice while preparing batter for dosa too in place of poha,cooked rice makes dosa very soft and fluffy. You can add cooked rice in appam batter too.
8. Killu vadam : This is a very a simple and also a very popular recipe made with leftover rice. just mash the rice well,add salt, chilli powder,finely chopped onions and mix well. Pinch equal sized small balls,sun dry and store airtight. Deep fry when needed and use as side dish or serve as snack ! One of our favorite in Indian leftover rice recipes.
9. Pulao: If you have left over plain basmati rice or even jeera rice,you can mix it up with veggies and masala to make pulao in no time.
10.Neeragaram: This is by far my most favorite,healthy and one of the very traditional Indian leftover rice recipes. Soak rice in enough water and let it sit for 8 hours,preferably over night. Next day mash the rice well and add some curd and salt. This is called neeragaram and it tastes best when had with pearl onions and green chillies. Beware that neeragaram is a very good coolant for body and it is better to eat it during summers if you are not used to it.
Well,these are my two cents on indian leftover rice recipes,please let me know what do you think and also how do you use up left over rice, do you use them in Indian recipes or something different,please let us know in comments!
indian leftover rice recipes , learn how to use up that left over rice with these easy and simple indian rice recipes with leftover rice