Panakam recipe– Panagam is a healthy and cooling drink from south India prepared especially during Sri Rama navami, Navratri and Varalakshmi vratham. This tasty panakam is also a staple summer drink at our home. It is so delicious and flavorful that who ever tries it will just love it!
Panakam is an auspicious drink in south India. It is usually prepared as offering to deity during certain festivals especially Sri Rama navami. When we make panakam for neivedihyam we add tulsi leaves and edible camphor. On normal days you can just skip these two ingredients if you wish. When making for Sri Ram navamai panakam is made along with neer mor and vadai paruppu (kosambari)
Panagam is a favorite summer drink at our home. Even while growing up we this was our standard summer drink along with neer mor, lemon juice and occasional rooh afza milk. I also make this drink regularly at our home. I always add tulsi leaves and edible camphor in panakam as we love that flavor.
Tips for making best panakam recipe:
- Use good quality jaggery. I have used organic jaggery and it was just wonderful though the color is lighter.
- Add a very tiny bit of edible camphor because it has a very strong flavor.
- If you wish you can strain the panakam before serving.
- When making as summer drink you can chill the drink in fridge for few hours and serve. You can also add ice cubes while serving.
- Adjust the quantity of black pepper corns, jaggery and lemon juice as per taste.
This panagam is the best summer drink for kids. It is rich in iron, cooling and very flavorful drink especially for kids to keep them hydrated. You can prepare and keep in fridge.
More summer drink recipes you might like
How to make panakam recipe video:
How to make panakam recipe (step by step)
1. First of all take 3 cups water in a bowl.
2. To that add 3/4 cup tightly packed grated jaggery. Mix well and set aside for 15 minutes. Let it dissolve.
3. Once jaggery is dissolved filter it if needed.
4. Crush 12 black peppercorns and add to the jaggery water.
5. To that also add 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder, 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger powder, a tiny bit of edible camphor. Mix very well.
6. Next add 10 tulsi leaves and juice of 1/2 lemon. Also add 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mix well. Serve as required.
Panakam Recipe Card Below:
Panakam is a tasty and healthy south Indian drink made with jaggery, pepper corns and lemon juice.
- 3 cups water cold
- 3/4 cup jaggery grated
- 10 peppercorns black
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger powder sukku, sonth
- tiny piece of edible camphor
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 10 tulsi leaves holy basil
- First of all take 3 cups water in a bowl.
- To that add 3/4 cup tightly packed grated jaggery. Mix well and set aside for 15 minutes. Let it dissolve.
- Once jaggery is dissolved filter it if needed.
- Crush 12 black peppercorns and add to the jaggery water.
- To that also add 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder, 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger powder, a tiny bit of edible camphor. Mix very well.
- Next add 10 tulsi leaves and juice of 1/2 lemon. Also add 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mix well. Serve as required.