Make this panakam recipe, the best summer drink with all pantry staple ingredients and stay hydrated this summer. With all healthy ingredients this is a very cooling and iron rich drink that is ideal for kids too. Also panagam is prepared especially during Sri Rama navami, Navratri and Varalakshmi vratham. Here is my recipe for making best ever panakam with a short video.
Panakam is an auspicious drink in south India. It is usually prepared as offering to deity during certain festivals especially Sri Rama navami. When we make panagam for neivedihyam we add tulsi leaves and edible camphor. On normal days you can just skip these two ingredients if you wish. When making for Sri Ram navamai this drink is made along with neer mor and vadai paruppu (kosambari)
During summer we become dehydrated very easily and it is very important to stay hydrated. Along with plain water you can consume healthy drinks like this panakam, chaas, fresh juices, lemonades and infused water to avoid boredom. I usually make a big pitcher of any of the above drink and sip it all day. I also prepare healthy shakes like badam shake, carrot milkshake occasionally.
This panagam is especially a very good drink that is rich in iron. Jaggery is the main ingredient in this recipe and it is rich in iron. The other ingredients like lemon juice, peppercorns, dry ginger powder are also very healthy. So this drink is one of the guilt free summer drink you can enjoy!
Panagam is a favorite summer drink at our home. Even while growing up we this was our standard summer drink along with neer mor, lemon juice and occasional rooh afza milk. I also make this drink regularly at our home. I always add tulsi leaves and edible camphor as we love that flavor.
This Panakam Recipe
Easy, healthy and guilt free summer drink
No cook recipe, 5 minute to prepare
Vegan, gluten free clean beverage
Absolutely delicious and flavor
To make panakam recipe, jaggery, cardamom powder are the main ingredients. Other optional ingredients are pepper powder, dry ginger powder, edible camphor, lemon juice and tulsi leaves. I usually add all of these for best flavor. But you can make this beverage by just mixing jaggery powder and cardamom powder in water.
Use good quality jaggery for best flavor. If you are using powdered jaggery, make sure to dissolve and filter the drink for impurities. For a change in flavor you can use palm jaggery too. I sometimes use water stored in earthen pots to make this drink, the flavor is simply awesome.
Serve panakam cold. I never add ice cubes to this but you can add them while serving. You can store this drink for a day in refrigerator.
How To Make Panakam
1. First of all take 3 cups water in a bowl.
2. To that add 3/4 cup tightly packed grated jaggery. Mix well and set aside for 15 minutes. Let it dissolve.
3. Once jaggery is dissolved filter it if needed.
4. Crush 12 black peppercorns and add to the jaggery water.
5. To that also add 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder, 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger powder, a tiny bit of edible camphor. Mix very well.
6. Next add 10 tulsi leaves and juice of 1/2 lemon. Also add 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mix well. Serve as required.
Tips To Make Perfect Panagam
- Use good quality jaggery. I have used organic jaggery and it was just wonderful though the color is lighter.
- Add a very tiny bit of edible camphor because it has a very strong flavor.
- If you wish you can strain the panakam before serving.
- When making as summer drink you can chill the drink in fridge for few hours and serve. You can also add ice cubes while serving.
- Adjust the quantity of black pepper corns, jaggery and lemon juice as per taste.
More Summer Drinks
I hope you will try this panakm recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
Panakam Recipe | Panagam Recipe
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 3 cups water cold
- 3/4 cup jaggery grated
- 10 peppercorns black
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger powder sukku, sonth
- tiny piece of edible camphor
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 10 tulsi leaves holy basil
- First of all take 3 cups water in a bowl.
- To that add 3/4 cup tightly packed grated jaggery. Mix well and set aside for 15 minutes. Let it dissolve.
- Once jaggery is dissolved filter it if needed.
- Crush 12 black peppercorns and add to the jaggery water.
- To that also add 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder, 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger powder, a tiny bit of edible camphor. Mix very well.
- Next add 10 tulsi leaves and juice of 1/2 lemon. Also add 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mix well. Serve as required.