Last updated on May 9th, 2019
Thandai recipe- thandai or sardai recipe is a popular Indian cold drink made with dry fruits, nuts and few spices. While sardai is predominantly made for Holi and Maha shivratri, you can make this cooling drink during summer as well. Here is how to make best thandai recipe with step by step photos.
What Is Thandai Drink?
Thandai means cooling in Hindi and so is this drink. It is an excellent body coolant and a best drink you can make for summer. Addition of various nuts and spices makes this drink very delicious as well.
This drink is very popular in Uttar Pradesh during Hoil. Also during maha shivrathri baang thandai is prepared and consumed. Baang or cannabis , the intoxicating weed is widely added in this drink.
You can prepare thandai from scratch at home or use homemade or store bought concentrate at make it instantly. I have tried some brand like guruji thandai concentrate and they were good, but nothing like homemade.
So here I am sharing my tried and tested best thnadai recipe that you will love. It does not contain baang, so an ideal drink for toddlers and kids too. Cooling, yummy and healthy summer drink for them 🙂
Also I am giving brief instructions for making and storing thandai concentrate at home.
Always serve sardai very chilled. You can either add ice cubes or chill the drink for few ours before serving. Letting the drink chill overnight will infuse the flavors very well.
How To Make Thandai Drink From Scratch?
To make drink, just soak all the nuts and spices in warm water for 1-2 hours. Drain and blend into a very smooth paste. Add this paste to the boiled milk along with required sugar. You may also add some saffron strands. Chill and serve with few rose petals or finely chopped nuts.
What Is Thandai Syrup and How To Make it?
It is a concentrate of all the thandai ingredients mixed in reduced sugar syrup. You can make store and it will come handy when you have suddedn guests.
To make thandai concentrate, Soak 200 grams almonds, 100 grams pistachios, 2 tablespoons each poppy seeds, fennel seeds and black peppercorns. Also soak 2 tablespoons melon seeds, 20 green cardamoms for 4 hours. Drain and grind to a very smooth paste.
Take 750 grams sugar in a pan and water to just cover it. Mix well and cook till the syrup reaches one string consistency. Add lemon juice and mix well . Cool the sugar syrup to room temperature. Add the dry fruits paste and mix very well. Store in clean bottle.
To make thandai just mix 2-3 tablespoons of this syrup with 3/4 cup boiled and cooled milk.
How To Make Instant Thandai Powder?
If you don’t want to go through the long process of making the above mentioned concentrate then you can make instant thandai powder with or without sugar. Just dry roast the nuts and spices. Cool down and grind to fine powder with or without sugar. When needed mix 2-3 teaspoons in 3/4 milk and serve 🙂 You can even serve this hot similar to milk masala powder
How To Make Bhang Thandai?
I have never made or had bhang thandai so this instruction is from my friend from UP. You can make this if cannabis is not banned in your region. You just gotta soak 8-10 cannabis or bhang along with other ingredients and follow the recipe. Please be informed that you cannot serve bhang thandai to toddlers, kids and children below 18.
More recipes you might like
How To Make Thandai Recipe Step by Step
1. Boil full fat milk along with sugar and let it cool reserving 1/4 cup of warm milk.
2. Soak almonds,poppy seeds,fennel seeds,black peppercorns,cardamom,saffron threads in the warm milk for an hour or two. Soak the dried rose petals too if using,if you want to add edible rose flavor you can do it later.
3. Grind to a smooth paste along with milk. Add the whole paste to the cooled milk and let the flavors infuse very well for good 45 minutes.
4. Strain the infused milk,add the almond slivers mix well and refrigerate till serving. Serve thandai cold.
- 2 1/2 cups full fat milk
- 3-4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 2 teaspoons blanched and slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds/kasakasa
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds/sombu
- 10-12 black/white peppercorns/milagu
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rose petals/1/2 teaspoon edible rose essence NOT rose food color
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron strands
- 3-4 cardomons
- Boil full fat milk along with sugar and let it cool reserving 1/4 cup of warm milk.
- Soak almonds,poopy seeds,fennel seeds,black peppercorns,cardamom,saffron threads in the warm milk for 45 minutes.. Soak the dried rose petals too if using,if you want to add edible rose flavor you can do it later.
- Grind to a smooth paste along with milk. Add the whole paste to the cooled milk and let the flavors infuse very well for good 45 minutes.
- Strain the infused milk,add almond slivers and mix well and refrigerate till serving. Serve thandai cold.
1. There is no need to reduce the milk here,thandai is not very thick like rabadi
2. If you want add essence add before refrigerating.
3.You can add pistachios along with almond slivers