Paneer fry recipe is a quick, easy and healthy dish made with paneer or Indian cottage cheese. Adding vegetables to this dish makes it wholesome and healthier snack for kids. This quick paneer fry made with very less oil is an excellent snack but you can also serve it in multiple ways. Gluten free recipe.
Paneer fry is a very popular snack in south Indian restaurants. You will find an array of “fry” dishes in the menu ranging from cauliflower fry, mushroom fry, aloo fry to this paneer fry recipe. Sone restaurants use these deep fried paneer to make paneer tikka instead of grilled paneer tikka.
In restaurants they often serve a platter of deep fried or pan fried paneer with sautéed onions and capsicums. It sure does tastes delicious but very heavy and oily. I tasted this version of paneer fry in a buffet and it tasted so good without all the oil. Vegans can simply use tofu instead of paneer
I often make easy paneer recipes for kid’s lunch box. I prefer to make especially dry paneer recipes as those are easy for the kid to eat and also mess free at school.
This paneer fry recipe is just perfect for kids to carry in lunch box. You can pack this side dish for roti or bread also. This stir fry with paneer is also a nice side dish for mild rice like jeera rice.
Sometimes I just add potato and make aloo paneer, or paneer capsicum with just bell peppers to make fry paneer. When I have good stock of fresh veggies handy then I make this dish.
What Is Paneer Fry?
Indian paneer fry is a quick recipe where paneer or Indian cottage cheese, a type of fresh cheese cubes are quickly sautéed with assorted vegetables. The seasoning used here is very mild so this recipe is best suited for toddlers and kids also.
Making Indian paneer fry is easy and quick. It just takes 20 minutes to make this recipe from scratch and that includes chopping time also.
You can make this paneer stir fry with 2 or more vegetables to make it colorful and wholesome.
This Paneer Fry Recipe Is
Simple home style and easy to make
made with chockablock of fresh veggies
vegetarian and gluten free
just use tofu for vegan version
versatile, can be served in many ways
great wholesome dish for kids
So let’s do this, I am sure you are going to love it!
Ingredients You Will Need
Use homemade fresh paneer or very good quality store bought paneer for best taste and nutrition. If the paneer is refrigerated you can keep the paneer pieces in warm water for 2o minutes before using in the recipe.
In this recipe I have used carrots, bell peppers and sweet corn kernels. Other vegetables that will go well in this recipe are zucchini, broccoli, French beans.
You can also add sprouted legumes or mushrooms to make it more nutritious. Finally vegans can easily use tofu in paneer stir fry recipe.
For seasoning I have used just minimum Indian spices like roasted cumin powder and red chili powder. You can also use pepper powder, garam masala powder. You can also use black pepper powder for more flavor.
For flavoring you can use ginger garlic paste. minced green chilies too.
How To Make Paneer Fry Recipe
1. Rinse and cut the vegetables into cubes or batons. Do not chop them very finally as that would turn the veggies mushy. We want the vegetables to get cooked yet retain their crunch in stir fries. Also chop the paneer in same shape as vegetables.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a thick cast iron pan. It is better to use cast iron pan or any other thick pan for stir fry recipes.
3.Temper with 1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
4. Add chopped onions and saute for 2 minutes.
5. Next add the vegetables and saute foor 2more minutes.
6. Then season with salt, roasted cumin powder and chili powder. Mix and saute in high flame. Cook for 6-8 minutes.
7. Now add the paneer cubes and toss well. Cook for 2 minutes.
Add chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
Serve paneer fry warm.
To make more of a restaurant style paneer fry you can follow this method for frying paneer.
Cut 200 grams of paneer into bite sized cubes. Add them to a mixing bowl. Add 2 tablespoons plain flour and 2 tablespoons rice flour or corn flour followed by 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala and salt to taste.
Now add 2-3 tablespoons water to coat everything together. Now you can pan fry, bake or deep fry these paneer cubes in hot oil until golden brown and add to the sautéed vegetables.
How To Serve Fried Paneer
There are so many ways you can serve this paneer fry. It is so versatile and tastes excellent in whichever way you choose to serve.
As side dish– easiest way to imply serve this stir fry as side dish with warm roti or toasted bread. This also goes well as side dish with peas pulao, corn pulao.
As filling in sandwich, wraps– Just stuff this stir fry between two slices of bread and toast until crispy for wonderful quick sandwich. You can also use this to make delicious wrap with roti or naan.
With pasta or rice- Just stir in some cooked rice or al dente pasta for a wonderful filing meal.
You can also serve hot as snack. This is a super wholesome, hearty and delicious after school snack.
Tips To Make This Recipe
- As in any stir fry recipe make sure to chop the vegetables of same size. This is very important as we are sautéing the vegetables for brief period on high heat. Chopping in size helps in even cooking.
- If you wish you can slightly pan fry or grill the paneer until golden brown before adding to the vegetables.
More Paneer Recipes For You
Are you making this recipe? I would love to see a snap of your creation too. Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou and please give a star rating ★ in the recipe card above. Follow us on Pinterest , Instagram, Facebook for more recipes and ideas.
Paneer Fry Recipe With Vegetables
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 200 grams paneer cubed
- 1/2 cup carrot peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels boiled
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Salt to taste
- cilantro leaves chopped
- Wash and cut the vegetables into cubes or batons. Do not chop them very finally as that would turn the veggies mushy. We want the vegetables to get cooked yet retain their crunch in stir fries. Also chop the paneer in same shape as vegetables.
- Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a thick cast iron pan. It is better to use cast iron pan or any other thick pan for stir fry recipes.
- Temper with 1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- Add chopped onions and saute for 2minutes.
- Next add the vegetables and saute foor 2more minutes.
- Then season with salt, roasted cumin powder and chili powder. Mix and saute in high flame. Cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Now add the paneer cubes and toss well. Cook for 2 minutes. Add cilantro leaves and mix well. Serve paneer fry hot.
Leave a Reply