Easy pani puri recipe for all pani puri lovers to try at home! This India’s most favorite chaat can be prepared at home easily with simple ingredients. Homemade pani puri is more fresh, especially very hygienic and also you can make it as soon as you crave it! Here is an easy pani poori recipe with step by step photos.
Call it by any name golgappa,puchka or pani poori, this small little treats are just loved invariably across the country. You will find so many small makeshift shops that sell pani puri in all busy streets of India.
What is Pani Puri?
Pani means water and puri is fried crisp flatbread. The pani used here is flavored with mint leaves and some spices.
Crispy small puris stuffed with delicious spiced potato, topped with sev and finally you drench it in flavorful pani before popping into the mouth 🙂 That is pani puri for you.
How To Make Puri For Pani Puri?
Making mini crisp puri at home is easy and not complicated at all. I usually use homemade puri as I find them tasty compared to store bought ones.
But if you want to save time you can also use ready made puris or even ready to fry puri are available in shops. You can just fry them in hot oil and use.
Here is my easy recipe for making golgappa puri or crsp mini puris at home.
For making these crisp puri I use equal amount of semolina and wheat flour. Also I use ice cold water for kneading the dough.
Mix 1/2 cup of fine semolina and 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour in a bowl. Add required salt.
Add ice cold water slowly and start kneading. You will need around 1/2 cup water.
The dough should not be very soft. Set the dough aside for 20 minutes well covered.
Now divide the dough into 3 equal balls.
Roll each ball into a circle of 1.5mm thickness
Cut out small puris using a cookie cutter or lid.
Deep fry in hot oil in medium flame. Cool thoroughly.
You can store the cooled puri in airtight container for 10 days.
My friends used to rave about the pani puri from the streets of Mumbai often. That tempted me to try this at home.
We had a blast with homemade pani puri. There was also some discussions on who invented this dish :). I came across this interesting read about this dish.
Pani Puri Ingredients:
The components that build up the dish are
- boiled, mashed and spiced potato
- sweet chutney
- theeka pani or pudinawali pani
- some sev or onion for toppinh
- crisp fried small puri
In this pani puri recipe I am sharing every component is homemade. I made the puri in the morning and the other fixings at the time of serving.
The recipe shared here is from an old cook book and something that I have been making for years. I have adjusted the recipe over the years and arrived at this.
The pani has a right blend of sweet and sourness. The taste and flavor is well balanced. Masala for pani puri used here is a mix of boiled potatoes, boiled green gram.
This is a typical Mumbai style pani puri with balanced flavors.
Variations In Pani Puri Recipe:
There are literally tons of variaitions with this recipe. Every street vendor will have a small twist in the pani recipe to vary the flavor slightly.
Also the potato stuffing inside varies. Some other interesting stuffing for pani poori you can try are
- boiled and slightly mashed whole mung
- kala chana
- boiled green peas
If you don’t have time to prepare sweet chutney you can just add 2-3 tablespoons of powdered jaggery in the theeka pani itself. Now the pani will have be sweet, spicy and tangy with less work.
Some Tips For Making Street Style Pani Puri At Home:
The correct blend of flavors is the key for best pani puri. Adjust the seasoning till you get the preferred blend.
If you are busy you can use store bought puri or ready to fry puri.
Serve pani puri as soon as assembled. Even better you can have everyone to assemble their own pani puri 🙂
Make the theeka pani few hours ahead for flavors to mingle. You can chill it until serving.
Instead of fine sev you can add finely chopped onions.
More Mumbai Street Food Recipes
How To Make Pani Puri Step by Step
Making Stuffing :
Boil the potatoes and green gram. Peel and mash the potatoes coarsely. Add Salt, chopped cilantro leaves and chili powder to taste. Mix well and set aside.
Making Pani For Pani Puri
To make pudinawali pani, take green chilies, small piece of jaggery, cumin seeds in a mixer jar.
Add washed cilantro leaves and mint leaves to the mixer jar. Grind well to a smooth paste. Add 2 1/2 cups of water and mix well.
Add black salt and chaat powder and mix well. Set aside.
Making Pani Puri
Keep the other ingredients like sweet chutney, sev, bhoondi and chopped onions ready.
Take 5-6 puris in a plate. Make a hole on the center with your thumb. Add some mashed potato mixture. Top with sweet chutney, sev and onions.
Add some bhoondi to the prepared pani. Add some prepared pani or dip the assembled puri in a small bowl of pani. Serve immediately.
Pani Puri Recipe Card Below:
pani puri recipe | Golgappa recipe
1 CUP = 250 ml
Pani puri Stuffing
- 3 Potatoes
- 1/2 cup green gram soaked and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- salt to taste
Pani for pani puri
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds or cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons powdered jaggery
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala powder
- rock salt to taste
- salted boondi for topping
To serve pani puri
- 24 small puris homemade or store bought
- 1/2 cup sweet chutney
- 1/2 cup chopped onions optional
- fine sev
Making Stuffing For Pani Puri
- Boil the potatoes and green gram. Peel and mash the potatoes coarsely. Add Salt, chopped cilantro leaves and chili powder to taste. Mix well and set aside.
Making Pani For Pani Puri
- To make pudinawali pani, take green chilies, small piece of jaggery, cumin seeds in a mixer jar.
- Add washed cilantro leaves and mint leaves to the mixer jar. Grind well to a smooth paste. Add black salt and chaat powder and mix well. Set aside. add 2 1/2 cups of water and mix well.
Making Pani Puri
- Keep the other ingredients like sweet chutney, sev, bhoondi and chopped onions ready.
- Take 5-6 puris in a plate. Make a hole on the center with your thumb. Add some mashed potato mixture. Top with sweet chutney, sev and onions.
- Add some bhoondi to the prepared pani. Add some prepared pani or dip the assembled puri in a small bowl of pani. Serve pani puri immediately.
2. Adjust the quantity of ingredients in pani as per taste.