Last updated on January 27th, 2020
Roasted chickpeas or roasted chana is a guilt free delicious and healthy snack for all. This roasted chickpeas snack is a wonderful alternative to many store bought greasy snacks for toddlers and kids too. You can make this crunchy snack in no time. Most of the work is done by your oven and the best is you need very less oil. We love such delicious roasted legumes and nuts at our home and this oven roasted chana is a top favorite. Here is how I make this recipe.
Roasted Chickpeas Snack- Healthier & Addictive!
I am big on healthy snacks for kids and I mostly steer clear of store bought packed snacks.
Actually this dry roasted chickpeas snack has been made in repeat mode at home. I usually deep fry partially cooked chickpeas until crispy and then season it as my mom does.
I once just tried oven roasting chickpeas just like cashews and to my surprise it turned out just wonderful. It was slightly chewy compared to deep fried ones but on cooling they do turn out very crispy. These are technically baked chickpeas that is crispy and crunchy 🙂
While I was mentioning this to my friend in USA, I got to know from here this oven roasted chickpeas is indeed a very popular snack there. She does it mostly with canned chickpeas. Here I have used dried kabuli chana or white chickpeas and made it from scratch though.
Just like roasted makhana, having a jar of roasted chana comes extremely handy. Apart from serving as snack wit tea or coffee, you can use roasted chana in multiple ways. Keep reading to know how I use them in my kitchen.
Do give this super easy and delicious snack a try, not to forget healthier too! (Way less oil than deep frying)
This Roasted Chickpeas Recipe Is
Super delicious, crispy & addictive (Seriously)
Vegan & gluten free
Mildly seasoned yet very flavorful
healthy & wholesome snack for growing toddlers and kids
Easy & quick to make.
How To Make Roasted Chickpeas
Soak dried white chickpeas or kabuli chana in water for 6-8 hours.
Drain well and pressure cook until done.
If you are using canned chickpeas, skip the above steps.
Drain and rinse the cooked chickpeas very well.
Spread on a clean cloth and fan dry for 30-40 minutes (important!)
Preheat oven at 180 C / 350 F.
Grease a large baking sheet with oil.
Combine dried chickpeas, salt, chili powder and 2 teaspoons oil in a bowl. Toss well.
Spread as single layer on the greased baking tray.
Bake in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes.
Once done let cool thoroughly. Store roasted chickpeas in airtight container and serve as required.
Ways To Used Crispy Baked Chickpeas
Apart from serving as snack with coffee or masala chai or mint tea, I use these crispy baked chickpeas in
- add in soups along with croutons
- Add some while making chivda
- you can use in salad bowls, buddha bowls,
- add in veg pulao, biryani
- make quick chana chaat
How long does this roasted chickpeas stay crispy?
Well, these are crispy but not as the deep fried ones definitely. They do have a slightest ever chewy texture but on cooling thoroughly they turn out crunchy. Nevertheless these addictive roasted chana stay crispy for 2-3 days when stored properly.
Can I deep fry the chickpeas instead of roasting?
Yes, if you prefer that. Just cook, drain and dry the chickpeas very well. (Moisture in chickpeas will make then burst in oil, so dry thoroughly.)
Heat oil for deep frying and fry in batches. Drain excess oil and season as preferred.
Can I use black chickpeas in this recipe?
Yes, you caqn. Black chickpeas are a bit harder and takes more time to cook and then bake. So increase the baking time by another five minutes.
What are the suggested seasoning for roasted chana?
Really there are so many delicious options are there. You can add
- some pepper powder and dried mango powder
- garam masala
- chaat masala powder
- some onion, garlic powder etc.
Tips For Perfect Roasted Chickpeas
On cooking chickpeas- We need cooked chickpeas for this recipe. Here I have used dried kabuli chana. Just like we make for chole masala, I have soaked, pressure cooked and drained the chickpeas. Make sure to cook the chana well but not mushy. You can use canned chickpeas if you prefer too.
Rinse and drain thoroughly- This is an important step for making perfectly roasted chickpeas. Whether you can using canned chickpeas or dried and cooked ones, make sure to drain the excess thoroughly. If there is moisture in the legume, it will not be roasted well. This step holds good even if you are deep frying the chickpeas, you should drain it thoroughly to prevent the chana bursting in oil.
Dry the cooked chick peas well– once cooked, spread the chickpeas on a clean cloth and let it fan dry for 30 minutes. If you are using canned chickpeas also follow this step.
Seasoning– You can season oven roasted chickpeas as you wish, here I have just added salt and chili powder. Also I like to season the chickpeas before roasting. The flavors get deep inside the legumes rather than tossing the seasoning once roasted.
More chickpeas recipes
I hope you will try this roasted chickpeas recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Roasted Chickpeas Recipe
Roasted Chickpeas (Roasted Chana)
- 2 cups dried white chickpeas or canned chickpeas
- water for cooking chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon oil
- salt to taste
- chili powder to taste
- Soak dried white chickpeas or kabuli chana in water for 6-8 hours
- Drain well and pressure cook until done.
- If you are using canned chickpeas, skip the above steps.
- Drain and rinse the cooked chickpeas very well.
- Spread on a clean cloth and fan dry for 30-40 minutes (important!)
- Preheat oven at 180 C / 350 F.
- Grease a large baking sheet with oil.
- Combine dried chickpeas, salt, chili powder and 2 teaspoons oil in a bowl. Toss well.
- Spread as single layer on the greased baking tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes.
- Once done let cool thoroughly. Store roasted chickpeas in airtight container and serve as required.
- Whether you can using canned chickpeas or dried and cooked ones, make sure to drain the excess thoroughly. If there is moisture in the legume, it will not be roasted well.
- You can season as you wish, here I have just added salt and chili powder. Also I like to season the chickpeas before roasting. The flavors get deep inside the legumes rather than tossing the seasoning once roasted.