Last updated on May 29th, 2020
Crispy corn recipe- spicy, flavorful and delightfully crispy fried corn seasoned perfectly is an excellent snack that you can serve with tea or as a party starter. With just a handful of ingredients and 20 mins you can make this best crispy corn at home and impress your guests or kids. Here is how to make perfect crispy corn recipe with step by step photos.
I first tasted crispy corn at BBQ nation and was not much impressed. I found the coating to be very thick and heavy.
Then I again tasted this spicy fried corn in a local cafe and it was spot on. The outer coating was not overpowering at all and the taste and flavor of corn was bursting through. This was many years back and now that I make crispy corn at home, I make it the way we like.
Making crispy corn at home is very easy. Crispy corn varies in taste and texture from restaurant to restaurant. Here what I am sharing here is a delicious, light and crispy version that just brings out out the flavor of corn.
I have used rice flour and gram flour in this recipe instead of corn flour or maida. So this crispy corn recipe is relatively healthy 🙂
We love such easy starter s and snacks like crispy corn with our evening tea. These also make for a great after school snack like veg rolls, veg puff, bread balls, roasted makhana, veg cutlet, baby corn fritters, sabudana vada etc.
You can serve these crispy corn as such or toss with some quick manchurian sauce and make corn manchurian too. For kids you can serve with their usual health drink or milkshakes.
This Crispy Corn Recipe Is
Vegan, gluten free & clean
Free of maida or refined flour
So easy & quick to make
Crispy, delicious and additive
Perfect evening snack or party starter
To make crispy corn I have used fresh sweet corn kernels. I actually don’t purchase frozen corn at all so it is always fresh corn for all our favorite corn dishes like corn cutlet, sweet corn kabab, corn pakoda, sweet corn curry, fritters, corn rice etc.
Also use corn kernels that are full and mature for making absolutely crispy corn. They should not be very tender or young.
To Boil or Not Boil The Corn?
I find it an unnecessary step to boil the corn kernels for this recipe. In this crispy corn recipe you are deep frying the corn kernels which means they are getting cooked completely. So I never boil the corn here.
if your corn is very matured and dry you may just blanch it for 2-3 minutes in boiling water.
While Frying Corn For In Any Recipe
- Be very careful and wary while frying the cron as it tends to burst a ot.
- Pick out the whole corn from the cob as far as possible for this recipe
- If you are a beginner it is better to cover your pan with a wire mesh cover or even a regular pan cover.
- Stand a feet away and fry in medium flame.
- Make sure the corn is absolutely dry without a bit of moisture
Ingredients For Crispy Corn
To make delicious crispy corn you will need just a handful of ingredients. Some fresh corn kernels, flour of your choice like gram flour or refined flour.
Here I have used a mix of gram flour and rice flour. Rice flour is much better than corn flour in retaining the crispiness in such recipes. You can even use rice flour in pakoda recipes.
I try to avoid refined flour as far as possible and especially when feeding to the kid.
The other ingredients are regular seasonings like salt, chili powder, chaat masala powder, coriander leaves and lemon wedges.
How To Make Crispy Corn Recipe
1. Take fresh corn kernels in a mixing bowl.
2. Add all the other ingredients except oil and mix well
3. heat oil in a pan and once the oil is hot, add the corn flour mixture and stir gently. Once the corn starts to fry, close the pan and let the corn get fried well.
4. The corn will splutter while frying so keep the pan closed. Once all the corn is fried and starts atop the oil, remove from flame and drain in a tissue. Serve crispy corn garnished with cilantro leaves and lemon wedges.
Tips For Making Best Crispy Corn
- Make sure the corn kernels are in full shape and absolutely dry.
- Here I have just tossed the flours for a very light coating. You can even make a slightly thick batter for more prominent coating.
- I have used groundnut oil for frying. You can use any oil you prefer.
- The recipe can be doubled.
I hope you will try this crispy corn recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Crispy Corn Recipe
Crispy Corn Recipe (Crispy Sweet Corn)
- Fresh corn kernels from one big sweet corn
- 2 tablespoons rice flour or corn flour
- 2 tablespoons gram flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- Chili powder to taste
- Chaat masala powder to taste
- Salt to taste
- Oil to fry
- Take fresh corn kernels in a mixing bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients except oil and mix well
- heat oil in a pan and once the oil is hot, add the corn flour mixture and stir gently. Once the corn starts to fry, close the pan and let the corn get fried well. The corn will splutter while frying so keep the pan closed. Once all the corn is fried and starts atop the oil, remove from flame and drain in a tissue. Serve crispy corn garnished with cilantro leaves and lemon wedges.
2. Make sure to close the pan while the corn kernels are getting fried.