Tandoori aloo recipe with step by step photos. Tandoori aloo also known as aloo tikka is one among easy potato recipes that you can easily try at home. Tandoori aloo recipe is not only easy, very quick recipe too. The hands on time needed for this aloo tikka recipe is very less, less than 20 minutes. All you need to do for making perfect tandoori aloo is marinade the par boiled potatoes in curd-spice mixture at least for 6 hours, preferably over night.
Authentically Tandoori recipes are cooked in traditional clay oven but when making at home you can either use electrical tandoor if available or grill or bake in normal oven. If you do not have oven you can use a stove top grill pan or normal tava to make tandoori aloo recipe. Here I have used my stove to grill pan.
It is best to use thick hung curd to make tandoori aloo recipe. Thick curd coats well on the potatoes. If the curd is bit thin you cann 1-2 teaspoons of gram flour in the marinade mixture. Apart from that you need very simple ingredients like chilli powder,garam masala powder to make tasty aloo tikka.
step by step tandoori aloo recipe:
1. Select 15 good small potatoes. Par boil the potatoes. pressure cook for 1-2 whistles.
2. Cut each potato into 2. Prick with a small tooth pick here and there. You can keep skin or peel it off.
3. Take the hung curd in a mixing bowl and whisk well.
4. Add coriander, turmeric,chilli, garam masala powder and chaat masala powder.
5. Mix well and add crushed kasoori methi,salt. Mix well.
6. Add the boiled potatoes and mix well. Marinade the potatoes for 6 hours or overnight.
7. Heat a grill pan or tava and brush it with some oil. Place the marinated potatoes on the pan. Cook in medium flame till the potatoes are cooked and charred a bit. Remove from flame, serve tandoori aloo hot.
You can use any non dairy curd instead of dairy curd for marination.
Tandoori aloo recipe card:
- 12-15 tiny potatoes
- 3/4 cup thick/ hung curd
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed kasuri methi
- Rock salt or normal salt
- 2-3 teaspoons oil
Wash, scrub and par boil the potatoes. Halve each potato.
Take the hung curd in a mixing bowl and whisk well. Add all the spice powders and mix well.
Add salt,kasuri methi and mix well.
Add the halved potatoes and mix well. Mix and let the potatoes marinade for 6 hours or overnight.
Heat a grill pan or tava and brush with some oil
Add the marinaded potatoes and cook till the potatoes are cooked and charred a bit. Serve tandoori aloo hot.
1. You can use a teaspoon of tandoori masala readily available.
2. If the potatoes are very small you need not halve them