Last updated on July 11th, 2020
Just make the marinade ahead and grill just before serving ! Here is how you to make best cauliflower tikka on stove top with step by step photos.
Tandoori recipes are quite popular in North India, especially Punjabi cuisine. These dishes are made in a special clay oven called tandoor and hence the name.
When cooked in high heat tandoor imparts a very smoky flavor and crispness to the veggies or meat.
With few tricks you can easily get the tandoori effect on stove top.
What Is Tandoori Gobi?
Tandoori gobi tikka is a popular starter made with cauliflower. Par boiled cauliflower florets are marinated in a yogurt based spice blend and baked in very heat in a clay oven (tandoor)
While making at home, we can achieve the same smoky effect with few tweaks and techniques.
To make tandoori gobi first we need to prepare a marinade. The base of marinade is yogurt or curd. You can use fresh homemade curd, plain Greek yogurt or hung curd too.
Other spices used for marination are chickpea flour, turmeric powder, chili powder, kasuri methi, coriander powder, chaat masala powder. You can also use tandoori masala powder.
You can make ahead the marination and make the gobi tikka just before serving.
This dry cauliflower starter is absolutely delicious with a wonderful flavor. Serve with any spicy dip like green chutney or red chili chutney.
For kids you can serve with mayonnaise or yogurt dip or sweet chutney.
This Tandoori Gobi Is
So easy to make,
made on stove top, no tandoor required
Vegetarian & gluten free
Can be made vegan easily by using non dairy yogurt
What Goes In The Marinade Of Gobi Tikka?
Tandoori marinade is a flavorful and spicy yogurt based marinade used in many tandoori recipes.
Use fresh thick curd for this recipe. Actually hung curd, yogurt from which all excess water is removed has to be used. But here I just used fresh tick curd. You can even use Greek yogurt.
To make marinade for tandoori gobi combine yogurt, dry roasted chickpea flour and all the other spice powders,seasoning. Mix thoroughly. This is your marinade.
Toss the parboiled cauliflower and cook as mentioned in the recipe.
Tips To Make Tandoori Gobi
For making tandoori gobi or any tandoori recipe on stove top use a very good quality tava or grill pan if you have one.
You can also use grilling option in oven.
If you have a stove to grill stand, use that too.
This easy gobi tikka is a very good crispy snack for those who want to avoid deep frying. With very less oil, this cauliflower snack turns out very crispy and yummy.
More Cauliflower Recipes
How To Make Tandoori Gobi Tikka
1. Pick the cauliflower florets into bite size pieces. Bring plenty of water to boil and add the florets along with a pinch of salt and turmeric powder. Switch of the flame and the florets sit in hot water for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Dry roast chickpea flour till aroma wafts out,take care to to burn the flour.
3. Combine roasted chickpea flour and yogurt in a bowl.
4. Add all the other spice powders and seasonings.
4.Mix well and make a thick batter.
5. Add the cauliflower florets and mix well to coat each floret with batter. Set aside and let it marinate for 2 hours.
6. Now heat a grill pan or tava and brush with 2 teaspoons oil. Arrange the florets and fry till golden brown from both sides on medium heat.
Alternately you can arrange the pieces in a grill tray and grill them at 250C in a preheated oven for 15-28 minutes.
7. Serve tandoori gobi tikka hot with green chutney.
Vegan option: Vegans can use cashew curd or water instead of plain curd
Are you making this recipe? Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou. Do leave a ⋆ rating along with your feedback! Let us connect on Instagram, Facebook, pinterest & Twitter for more fun recipes and stories!
- 1 Medium sized cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons gram flour
- 2 cups thick curd whisked smooth
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon kasoori methi
- 3 teaspoons oil
- Pick the cauliflower florets into bite size pieces. Bring plenty of water to boil and add the florets along with a pinch of salt and turmeric powder. Switch of the flame and the florets sit in hot water for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Dry roast gram flour till aroma wafts out,take care ot to burn the flour.
- Take the roasted gram flour in a mixing bowl and add all the other ingredients except oil. Mix well.
- Mix well and make a thick batter
- Add the cauliflower florets and mix well to coat each floret with batter. Set aside and let it marinate for 2 hours.
- Now heat a grill pan or tava and brush with 2 teaspoons oil. Arrange the florets and fry till golden brown from both sides on medium heat. Alternately you can arrange the pieces in a grill tray and grill them at 250C in a preheated oven for 15-28 minutes.
- Serve gobi tikka hot with green chutney.
2. You can add pinch of amchoor powder or lemon juice to the marinade