Tandoori aloo tikka recipe is a tasty and easy potato snack you can make for parties. Aloo tikka is a preparation of grilled baby potatoes after marinating them in Indian spices. This is a very popular vegetarian tikka recipe you can serve with drinks in parties.
Whenever we dine in Punjabi restaurants or dhaba we have some tandoori recipes as starters. Our favorites are tandoori paneer tikka, gobi tikka and this tandoori aloo tikka. Serve with green chutney this is one of the tastiest tandoori starters we love.
These aloo taste delicious with a crispy exterior and melt in mouth texture. They are so flavorful and addictive that I often make them at home also. I make this for evening snack with tea or as starter in a north Indian menu.
As the name suggests these tandoori aloo is traditionally made in a clay oven or tandoor in high heat. At home however you can make this tandoori snack easily in electric oven or even using a pan on stove top.
To make aloo tikka we first need to prepare the marinade. The base for the marinade is thick curd or hung yogurt. You can also plain greek yogurt here. The spices used for this recipe are regular spice powders used in Indian cooking like coriander powder, cumin powder.
If you like trying restaurant style recipes at home, then this one is for you. You can easily make tandoori aloo tikka with this fool proof recipe. I have shared the method for making aloo tikka on stove top as well as brief instructions for making tandoori aloo in oven.
How To Make Tandoori Aloo in Oven?
For making this recipe in oven prepare the marination and toss the potatoes as mentioned in recipe.
Preheat oven at 250 C. Skewer the potatoes in a bamboo stick or arrange as single layer in a foiled baking sheet.
Bake for 15-18 minutes, flipping the sides of the potatoes after 10 minutes.
Serve hot with green chutney
Few Tips For Making Aloo Tikka
I have used a stove top grill pan for this recipe. If you don’t have one you can use a good cast iron tava.
The recipe mentioned here makes spicy tandoori aloo, you can adjust the spice level while making for toddlers and kids
Use baby potatoes in this recipe if possible. If using regular potatoes, cube or slice into thick rounds.
More aloo snacks you might like
How To Make Tandoori Aloo Tikka Recipe Step by Step
1. Select 15 good small potatoes. Par boil the potatoes. pressure cook for 1-2 whistles.
2. Cut each potato into 2. Prick with a small tooth pick here and there. You can keep skin or peel it off.
3. Take the hung curd in a mixing bowl and whisk well.
4. Add coriander, turmeric,chilli, garam masala powder and chaat masala powder.
5. Mix well and add crushed kasoori methi,salt. Mix well.
6. Add the boiled potatoes and mix well. Marinade the potatoes for 6 hours or overnight.
7. Heat a grill pan or tava and brush it with some oil. Place the marinated potatoes on the pan. Cook in medium flame till the potatoes are cooked and charred a bit. Remove from flame, serve tandoori aloo hot.
Tandoori Aloo Tikka Recipe
Tandoori aloo recipe | Easy potato recipes
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 12-15 tiny potatoes
- 3/4 cup thick/ hung curd
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed kasuri methi
- Rock salt or normal salt
- 2-3 teaspoons oil
- Wash, scrub and par boil the potatoes. Halve each potato.
- Take the hung curd in a mixing bowl and whisk well. Add all the spice powders and mix well.
- Add salt,kasuri methi and mix well.
- Add the halved potatoes and mix well. Mix and let the potatoes marinade for 6 hours or overnight.
- Heat a grill pan or tava and brush with some oil
- Add the marinaded potatoes and cook till the potatoes are cooked and charred a bit. Serve tandoori aloo hot.
2. If the potatoes are very small you need not halve them