Last updated on July 19th, 2019
Tawa pulao recipe with step by step photos. This tawa pulao is a popular Mumbai street food that is made on large tawa or flat griddle. It is very easy to make by sauteing rice with mixed veggies and pav bhaji masala. One of the best ways to use up your leftover rice and create something festive!
Making tawa pulao is easy and quick if you have cooked rice handy. Just chopping the veggies take some hands on time. It is a very quick and easy recipe that is flavorful and wholesome. Tawa pulao is a good option for kids lunchbox also.
There are many ways in which pulao is made and tawa pulao recipe is just one of them. Tawa pulao as the name says is made on tawa ideally. In the streets of Mumbai it is prepared on the same tawa used for making pav bhaji. Tawa is the Indian griddle typically made of cast iron.
The unique flavor and taste of this pulao comes from the cast iron tava. Also cooking in high heat provides the typical smoky flavor to the pulao. When we make at home I use a broad cast iron wok or pan for this recipe. Just make sure to saute the veggies and other cooking in high flame.
To make tawa pulao recipe I use carrots, beans, cauliflower, potatoes and peas. I always try to use gobi or cauliflower in both pav bhaji and this pulao. You can just use three or more veggies. You can also use turnip and beets. I like to briefly steam the vegetable.
For making tawa pulao recipe pav bhaji masala powder is required. You can use homemade pav bhaji masala powder or store bought ones like MDH, badshaah brands. I also use everest pav bhaji masala sometimes.
Serve tawa pulao with raita for a perfect meal. You can also serve with kachumber.
More easy pulao recipes:
How to make mumbai tawa pulao recipe with step by step photos.
Rinse and soak basmati rice for 30 minutes. Cook rice al dente and cool completely. The rice should be cold and non sticky when ready to use.
Heat a thick tawa or pan with 2 tablespoons butter. Once the butter is melted temper with cumin seeds.
Add crushed ginger garlic and saute for few seconds.
Once the raw smell of ginger garlic goes off add chopped onions and saute for 2 minutes.
Next add chopped tomatoes and capsicum. Saute for a minute
Add the spice powder and cook till the mixture turns mushy.
Now add the steamed vegetables and saute in high flame for 5 minutes. Season with salt. Mix well.
Then add the cooked rice, lemon juice and mix well.
Finally garnish with cilantro leaves and serve tawa pulao hot.
Tawa pulao recipe card below:
Tawa pulao recipe | How to make tawa pulao recipes | Easy pulao recipes
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 1/4 cup peeld cubed and steamed
- 2 large tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 big onion finely chopped
- 1 small green capsicum finely chopped
- A small piece of ginger and 3 garlic cloves crushed OR 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder adjust
- 2 tablespoons pav bhaji masala powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Rinse and soak basmati rice for 30 minutes. Drain and pressure cook such that the grainsare separate.
- Cool thoroughly. The rice should be cold and non sticky when ready to use.
- Heat a thick tawa or pan with 2 tablespoons butter. Once the butter is melted temper with cumin seeds.
- Next add crushed ginger garlic and saute for few seconds.
- Now add chopped onions and saute for 2 minutes.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and capsicum. saute for a minute
- Also add the spice powders and cook till the mixture turns mushy.
- Now add the steamed vegetables and saute in high flame for 5 minutes. Season with salt. Mix well.
- Then add the cooked rice, lemon juice and mix well.
- Finally garnish with cilantro leaves and serve tawa pulao hot.
2. Use vegetables of choice