Last updated on July 18th, 2019
Tomato rice for dinner or lunch is usually preferred even by bachelors. This thakkali sadham is a very popular one course meal in small mess, hotels too along with lemon rice, coconut rice, curd rice etc.
To make tomato rice recipe usually basmati rice is not used. We use the regular raw rice to make this tomato bhath. Even leftover rice can be used in this recipe. Just make sure the grains are separate and rice is cold before adding to the cooked tomato masala.
This south Indian tomato rice is the quickest meal you can make on a busy day. Tomato rice is served with raita but spicy potato fry also tastes best with tomato rice.
Usually we make variety rice like lemon rice, coconut rice, pudhina rice, eggplant rice etc when we have some leftover rice. Ideally cooked and thoroughly cooled rice is best suited for such rice recipes.
There are many variations in tomato rice recipe, in few home peanuts are added along with cashew nuts. You can add boiled green peas in tomato rice if you like. You can add garlic-ginger to flavor the rice. You can even add coarsely ground roasted sesame seeds. Here I have kept the recipe simple with basic ingredients. Spice powders like garam masala are not added in tomato rice. Vegetables are not usually a part of tomato rice recipe.
I have already posted a no onion garlic version of tomato rice here. This is a more common version of tomato rice prepared in south Indian homes.It is best to use desi tomatoes for such recipes as they cook fast and full of flavor.The best combination for this tomato rice is spicy potato fry. You can even serve tomato rice with raita, chips. This tomato rice recipe is also very popular among bachelors in mess, small eateries as well as restaurants.
Tomato rice recipe card below:
Tomato rice recipe | how to make tomato rice.
- 1 1/2 cup basmati rice OR raw rice
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons peanuts
- 8-10 cashews broken
- 1 teaspoon channa dal
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- Soak basmati rice for 15-20 minutes and pressure cook with 2 cups of water for up to 3 whistles. Once pressure is released spread it on a wide plate and allow to cool completely
- Add 3 teaspoons sesame oil to a pan and heat it. Once the oil is hot temper with mustard and urad dal.
- The add cashews,peanuts and saute till golden.Add green chillies,curry leaves, and saute for 2 minutes.Add the chopped onions and fry till translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and mix well.Add turmeric powder,chilli powder,salt and stir.
- Saute till tomatoes leave out oil and are completely cooked.You can add little water,cover and cook on low flame for 10 minutes.
- Once the mixture is completely cooked,add the cooled rice and spread gently.Add 1 teaspoon sesame oil on the top and mix gently but thoroughly without breaking the rice.
- Serve hot with potato fry.
2.If using normal rice,there is no need to soak,just adjust the water level and cook such that the grains remain separate.
3.You can even coarsely grind the tomatoes instead of chopping them
4. Sesame oil is best used for authentic taste and flavor, else use any neutral cooking oil