Last updated on December 7th, 2019
Rajma recipe is a delicious Punjabi curry made with kidney beans that is creamy, flavorful and mildly spiced. This easy rajma masala recipe is best to serve with steamed rice, butter naan, jeera rice and roti. This curry is one of the healthiest and wholesome dish. Kidney beans known as rajma in India is used to make this popular north Indian rajma masala that is loved across the India. Here is easy rajma recipe with step by step photos.
Rajma recipe is usually prepared in many ways. Here I am sharing restaurant style rajma masala recipe with cream. I have used butter for sauteing the spices and this imparts a rich flavor and taste to this rajma recipe. Also this is a very straight forward, easy and best rajma masala recipe that you can make at home.
I often make this kidney beans curry at home as it one of the healthy India curry. Earlier I used to refer Sanjeev Kapoor rajma masala recipe. The one I am sharing today is the way how I make it these days.
Rajma or red kidney beans is one of the healthiest legumes that we must include in our diet. They are very less in fat and rich in fibre content.
Rajma is suitable for diabetic diet, helps in protecting heart health also. Rajma is also one of the best body building food for toddlers and kids that help healthy muscle and weight gain.
Basically rajma masala is used by cooking soaked red kidney beans first and then simmering in a onion tomato based masala. The curry is flavored with garam masala powder. For restaurant flavor you can some fresh cream.
The consistency of the gravy can be thick or thin. We prefer slightly thicker gravy with some texture, so I use finely chopped onions and tomatoes. For smooth gravy you can use onion puree and tomato puree.
Rajma masala is best served with hot steamed rice. Rajma chawal is the most popular comfort food for many across the country. Use freshly steamed basmati rice or long grained rice for rajma chawal.
You can also serve rajma with plain paratha, naan, lachha paratha, peas pulao, jeera rice.
Also not to forget, this rajma masala tastes better a day after it is prepared. The flavors get a chance to mingle and deepen. You can use leftover rajma masala to make
Some more north Indian curry recipes similar to rajma are
Some Tips For Making Best Rajma Recipe
It is very important to soak and cook rajma very well. This is the most important step in rajma masala recipe. I always soak rajma for 12 hours and pressure cook for 15-16 whistles.
When you press the cooked rajma it should be very soft. So once you think the rajma is cooked do check if it really soft, else add some more water and cook for few more whistles in pressure cooker.
The rajma masala should be very smooth and creamy, for this once you pressure cook the rajma reserve the water/stock. Adding this to the masala instead of water will help in making creamy smooth gravy.
Also the onion tomato masala should be completely cooked and mushy before adding rajma.
Adjust seasoning as per taste
You can use canned red kidney beans in this recipe.
For vegan rajma recipe use oil instead of butter. Also you can add cashew paste instead of fresh cream for rich taste.
This is the best rajma masala recipe to try at home. Very few simple ingredients and you have the best tasting masala!
More Punjabi Recipes
- peas masala,
- palak paneer,
- bhindi masala
- paneer butter masala
- kadhi pakodi
- kadai paneer
- paneer tikka masala
- dhaba dal fry
How To Make Rajma Recipe Step By Step
1. Soak rajma in plenty of water for at least 12 hours.
2. Rinse the rajma well. Pressure cook the soaked rajma in enough water for 15-16 whistles. The rajma should be completely cooked. Drain the cooked rajma and reserve the stock.
3. Chop onions and tomatoes finely. Crush ginger garlic and slit the green chilies.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a pan. Add bay leaf and cumin seeds, Saute for few minutes.
5. Add finely chopped onions. Saute well they turn translucent. Next add crushed ginger garlic, slit green chilies and saute till the raw smell goes off.
6. Add chopped tomatoes and saute well.
7. Now add the spice powders. Mix well and cook for few minutes till butter releases from sides.
8. Add the drained rajma and mix well.
9. Add the reserved stock. If needed add some water. Cook for 7-10 minutes in medium flame. Add salt and mix well. Check the consistency of the gravy now. It should be creamy smooth and slightly thick. If it is watery cook for few more minutes.
10. Add fresh cream and mix well.
11. Add cilantro leaves and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Serve rajma masala hot with rice/rotis.
Restaurant style rajma masala recipe card below:
Rajma masala recipe | how to make rajma masala
- 1 cup Rajma / red kidney beans
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger crushed
- 2-3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1-2 green chilies slit
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- cilantro leaves
- Soak rajma overnight,drain and pressure cook until completely cooked. Drain and reserve the water used for cooking.
- Heat butter in a pan and temper with cumin seeds and bay leaf.
- Add finely chopped onions and saute well till it turns translucent.
- Add crushed ginger garlic and saute till raw smell goes off. Next add slit green chilies and saute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix well. Cook for few minutes.
- Add chili,turmeric, coriander and garam masala powder. Saute and cook till tomato turns mushy butter releases from side.
- Add the cooked and drained rajma and mix well
- Add the reserved stock, 1/2 cup water and cook for 7-10 minutes. Now add salt and mix well.
- Once the gravy is thickened add fresh cream and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cilantro leaves and serve rajma masala hot.
2. Do not cook for long time after adding fresh cream,just simmer for 1-2 minutes.
3. If you feel the rajma is hard, you can slightly mash it using potato masher while cooking.
4. Add water as and when needed, do not add more water the gravy will be separate from rajma and it will not taste good.