Vegetable jalfrezi is a easy and delightful one pot vegetarian curry with mixed vegetables. If you love spicy flavorful curry with myriad of flavors, you will love this curry.
Serve veg jalfrezi with naan bread, phulka or even rice for a hearty meal. Here is how to make vegetable jalfrezi recipe easily at home! Vegan recipe.
What Is Jalfrezi?
Jalfrezi is a spicy and flavorful curry from India and it is widely popular across the globe. It is a stir fried saucy gravy with vegetables or meat or fish as main ingredients. With vegetarians, veg jalfrezi and paneer jalfrezi are popular curries.
I posted an easy recipe for paneer jalfrezi sometime back, this veg jalfrezi recipe is again a very easy one. It is no grind vegetable jalfrezi recipe, if you have cut vegetables ready, you can make this side dish recipe within 20 minutes.
Deep in color with veggies cooked yet crunchy, veg jalfrezi is one delight for all vegetarians.
Serve veg jalfrezi hot with flatbread like naan, paratha or roti. This curry also tastes good as stuffing for wraps, veg sandwich recipes.
About This Recipe
This restaurant style vegetable jalfrezi recipe is one of the best and easy vegetable curries that you can make in 30 minutes at home.
The base of this gravy is onion, tomatoes and a wee bit of tomato ketchup. Adding ketchup lends a wonderful sweetish sour taste to this gravy. It adds that perfect umami like flavor to the gravy.
This is a semi dry jalfrezi curry made with chopped tomatoes. If you want a more gravy like version you can use tomato puree instead of chopped tomatoes to make it a lush curry.
The best part about this mixed vegetable jalfrezi is all the vegetables are perfectly cooked in a such way they maintain their crunch and not mushy at all.
I use this gravy as base and make veg, paneer jalfrezis. You can even make the gravy ahead and add vegetables to it when needed. This is a wonderful recipe that is truly delcious and
This is a perfect curry to make with all those bits and bobs of vegetables leftover in the refrigerator. It is a best one to satiate Indian curries at the comfort of your home :
This Vegetable Jalfrezi Is
Super quick and easy to make
a delight for spicy food lovers
Takes less than 30 minutes to make
Vegan & gluten free
Absolutely delicious & moreish
Kids friendly restaurant style curry
Mixed Vegetables– You can use a mix of carrot, colored bell peppers, beans, baby corn and cauliflower in this recipe. You can also add potatoes, green peas, French beans and corn. Do not chop the vegetables very thin, as they may loose their crunchiness upon cooking. Usually vegetables are baton cut for making vegetable jalfrezi recipe.
Tomatoes and Tomato Ketchup– For vibrant color, flavor and slight sweet taste I have added some tomato ketchup along with ripe tomatoes. Here I have used sliced tomato but you can also use tomato puree.
Herbs and Spices– The flavor of this vegetable jalfrezi comes from coriander leaves and kasuri methi. These both impart an enticing aroma to this vegetable jalfrezi. A dash of lemon juice drizzled just before serving ties all the flavor together.
The spice powders used in this recipe are simple staple ones like red chili powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder. If you like mildly spiced curry you can reduce the quantity of spice powders.
How To Make Vegetable Jalfrezi
1. Heat oil. Add cumin seeds and let it crackle. Add the ginger-garlic and slit green chilies. Saute well. You can also add readymade ginger garlic paste.
2. Add thinly sliced onions and saute well till the color changes slightly. Add finely chopped tomatoes and saute well till the tomatoes turn mushy.
3. Add tomato ketchup and saute very well till the oil starts to separate. If tomato ketchup is not available you can add 2 tablespoons tomato paste and 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
4. Add the cut vegetables and mix well. Saute and stir fry for few minutes.
5. Add salt to taste, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Mix and saute till the raw smell of the spice powders go off.
6. Add about 1 1/2 cups of water, cover and cook in medium flame for 10-12 minutes. Once the vegetables are cooked and the gravy reaches the desired consistency, add chopped cilantro leaves and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
7. Turn off the heat, add crushed kasuri methi or dried fenugreek leaves and mix well.
8. Serve vegetable jalfrezi hot with roti.
You can also stuff some veg jalfrezi in a roti and make wrap for toddlers and kids, healthy, filling and fun meal. Just reduce the amount of spice powders when making for toddlers and kids.
Chop the veggies in uniform size for quick cooking.
Adjust the spice powders as per taste
The recipe can be doubled or tripled
Frequently Asked Questions
It is a Bengali word meaning spicy
Yes, this recipe is vegan and gluten free
More Curry Recipes
Are you making this veg jalfrezi recipe? I would love to see a snap of your creation too. Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou and please give a star rating ★ in the recipe card above. Follow us on Pinterest , Instagram, Facebook for more recipes and ideas.
Vegetable jalfrezi recipe| veg jalfrezi recipe
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 2 1/2 cups baton cut vegetables carrot, bell peppers, beans, baby corns
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 green chilies slit
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kasuri methi
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3-4 teaspoons oil.
- Heat a pan/kadai with 3 teaspoons oil. Add cumin seeds and let it crackle. Add minced ginger-garlic and slit green chilies. Saute well.
- Add thinly sliced onions and saute well till the color changes slightly. Add finely chopped tomatoes and saute well till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add tomato ketchup and saute very well till the oil starts to separate.
- Add the cut vegetables and mix well. Saute for few minutes
- Add salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Mix and saute till the raw smell of the spice powders go off.
- Add about 1 1/2 cups of water, cover and cook in medium flame for 10-12 minutes. Once the vegetables are cooked and the gravy reaches the desired consistency, add chopped cilantro leaves and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add crushed kasuri methi and mix well. Serve vegetable jalfrezi hot with roti.
- Do not add too much water for cooking the vegetables.
- You can always add more water if needed after checking the consistency.
- Increase/decrease chilies and chili powder as per taste.
- You can add thin paneer slices to this and make veg-paneer jalfrezi too